+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.2 Goes for the Gold

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Apple, today released iOS 4.2 Golden Master to developers. Apple appears to be on track for its scheduled November release. There is said to be 100+ new features and innovations
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default iOS 4.2 Goes for the Gold

Apple, today released iOS 4.2 Golden Master to developers. Apple appears to be on track for its scheduled November release. There is said to be 100+ new features and innovations included with this update. Now that the GM has been released to developers it shouldn’t be too long before it’s made available to the public.

With this release, Apple will finally bring the iPad up-to-date with the iPhone and iPod Touch. This software will be a unification of sorts. No longer will people have to keep track of the most current software version for the iPad and iPhone. iOS will finally have one unified version of the software that runs on all devices. This will be a welcome relief for iPad users everywhere. New to the iPad will be such features as multitasking, folders, a unified mailbox, Game Center support and many other enhancements as well.

iOS 4.2 brings a host of welcomed improvements, but one change is causing some controversy. The screen lock rotation switch has now been repurposed to act as the mute button. Some users are not happy about the change, but it is in keeping with Apple’s theme to unify the iOS on all devices.

With the iPad’s additional screen real estate, the multitasking bar has been expanded to include more features. It operates just as you would expect it to, but now includes screen lock, brightness control, iPod functions and Volume setting. To the left of the volume slider is the new AirPlay button. I look forward to seeing this button appear on the iPhone as well.

AirPlay is arguably the most anticipated new feature coming to this iOS update. AirPlay allows you to stream music, video and photos directly from your iOS device to an Apple TV. Some apps will be compatible with AirPlay as well, allowing you to stream content from an app on your iOS device to an Apple TV. Apps may one day become a replacement for traditional TV channels. This would make the Apple TV a real contender to replace regular cable service. Apple is sure to open an Apple TV App Store, “when the time is right” according to Steve Jobs.

AirPrint is another welcome addition to the iOS. Now, people will finally be able to print mail, photos and even web pages directly to a Wi-Fi connected printer.

Today, Apple also invited developers to submit their apps for iOS 4.2 review. This is great news for the average user. It is an indication that there should be a good supply of compatible apps as soon as the update is released. Hopefully, this version of the iOS will be less problematic for developers to jailbreak than in previous versions. With such an array of new features, this update will be hard to resist.

Source: Apple
    Last edited by Wiley John Wright; 11-02-2010 at 02:41 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (11-02-2010), Buffolus (11-02-2010), CaryDude (11-02-2010), Maarten16 (11-02-2010), unklbyl (11-02-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait. It's about time the iPad gets features it should of had day 1, better late then never.

Thanks

Yay! that means the JB and unlock for 4.1 is not too far behind!
    REJOICE!
    unklbyl

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unklbyl View Post
    Yay! that means the JB and unlock for 4.1 is not too far behind!
    REJOICE!
    MuscleNerd said redsn0w already jailbreaks 4.2, cydia just needs an update to work. MuscleNerd also said "ultrasn0w users need to stay very very far away from this"

Green Apple
    Thanks

spoiled myself this year got miself the ip4 , ipad, apple tv nevr been that much of an apple fan but after buying the ipad now loving the products ,this is before the new updates ,have they got actual release date yet

Banned
    Thanks

As the switch is now from rotation to mute I hope there is a cydia app to change it back.
    I use the rotation switch multiple times a day. I never use mute.
    As I also use backgrounder The update to 4.2 is not really wanted to me. I'm going to loose too many useful features I already have.

Thanks

Can't wait for the official release. Make sure if you need an unlock to stay on the firmware you're on until given the go ahead to update. I can already see the flood of posts on unlocking & jb'ing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattoligy's Avatar
    Thanks

Is 4.2 going to be that different from 4.1 in terms of structure? If so are jailbreak devs going to have there apps ready for 4.2, and will they charge Again due to rewrites etc like they did from 3.x to 4.x... I use a lot of cydia apps and I'm really looking forward to this iOS update but I will Not sacrifice my cydia apps not for even a few weeks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattoligy View Post
    Is 4.2 going to be that different from 4.1 in terms of structure? If so are jailbreak devs going to have there apps ready for 4.2, and will they charge Again due to rewrites etc like they did from 3.x to 4.x... I use a lot of cydia apps and I'm really looking forward to this iOS update but I will Not sacrifice my cydia apps not for even a few weeks!
    "Charge again do to rewrites"? I've never had to pay again for a cydia app that I already owned, no matter what iOS I was on. And when I bought my new iPhone 4 (replaced my 3G) all the developers that used their own way of "registering" your purchase via you UDID, were more than happy to send me new registration keys for my apps on my new phone once I provided proof of purchase on my old 3G. So I am not really sure what you are referring to. Devs (for the most part) are VERY helpful and understanding with upgrades.

Thanks

I don't own an apple tv or a printer. Is it worth it upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2 on iPhone 4?
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    "Charge again do to rewrites"? I've never had to pay again for a cydia app that I already owned, no matter what iOS I was on. And when I bought my new iPhone 4 (replaced my 3G) all the developers that used their own way of "registering" your purchase via you UDID, were more than happy to send me new registration keys for my apps on my new phone once I provided proof of purchase on my old 3G. So I am not really sure what you are referring to. Devs (for the most part) are VERY helpful and understanding with upgrades.
    This most definately does happen. Most notely with MyWi from 3.* to 4. That required an update fee. Generally this only happens with major ios updates, like from 3 to 4, not with minor updates with this. This could mean things for ipad jb programs though as they are having a major update.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I am clueless as to the rotation issue?

Green Apple
    Thanks

aaahh....another update...am really looking forward to ios 4.2 only for my ipad...my iphone4 jb 4.1 now already meet my requirement...will see if really need to update my iphone4 too..
    iphone = intelligent phone...OK!
    ipad = intelligent pad...HUH?!

Thanks

Oh geez it is November already isn't it? Well that's good this update is very anticipated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattoligy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thecork View Post
    This most definately does happen. Most notely with MyWi from 3.* to 4. That required an update fee. Generally this only happens with major ios updates, like from 3 to 4, not with minor updates with this. This could mean things for ipad jb programs though as they are having a major update.
    Cydia apps had to be updated for compatibility with 4.1 from 4.0 so it's pretty safe to assume they will need updating for 4.2 compatibility even from 4.1!?

I'm not saying there will be a charge, your right this isn't a "major" update but jb apps probably will need updating and I was just curious as to how long this may take, 4.1 was out quite a while before most cydia apps were fully compatible with it!!

EDIT: Here is a PDF I found illustrating all the changes from 4.1 -> 4.2 and it looks like a fair bit!

http://m.box.net/view_shared/5ss068oeay
    Last edited by mattoligy; 11-02-2010 at 07:02 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattoligy For This Useful Post:

lord1700 (11-02-2010), raduga (11-02-2010), unklbyl (11-02-2010)

Thanks

I have an old apple TV. Will 4.2 be going on the old version of apple tv???

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not quite true. When I upgraded from my iPhone 3G to the iPhone4, I sent an email to the devs of MCleaner asking to transfer my license over. Never got a response. Months later I went to their site and found that it is not possible to transfer licenses between devices. You have to repurchase the software. No thanks.

Thanks

I don't think I can benefit one bit from 4.2. I'm never updating, my iTunes is broke anyway, the kind of broke to where you have to uninstall and reinstall every program associated with it in an exact order. Honestly though, if they'd fix the retarded looking app switcher for landscape, I'd update.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

So can the screen rotation lock still be enabled elsewhere in the OS?

iPhone? More like MyPhone risingkazuya05's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still using rotation inhibitor for my screen orientation needs

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast