Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Barron's: 2nd Gen iPad May Have Two Cameras

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Barron's: 2nd Gen iPad May Have Two Cameras

Talk is heating up about Apple's plan for a second generation iPad. Although the rumor mill hasn't been nearly as generous with suggestions, tips, and insider accounts as it typically is for iPhone, iPod, and even Mac updates, Barron's - a credible, mainstream publication - is reporting that the next generation iPad will likely launch in the first quarter of 2011.

Investment firm Detwiler Fenton & Co. issued a note to investors this week that was intercepted and published by Barron's. Sources in the know report that the refreshed iPad will come with a forward-facing camera (presumably to accommodate the FaceTime video chat functionality) as well as a rear camera (a 5 MP camera and a VGA camera).

Detweiler says their early read is that Apple will build 2.5 million units of the next iPad in calendar Q1, providing an incremental 5 million units of demand from Apple for OVTI, which also supplies sensors for the iPhone.
    With millions of iPads already sold and the tablet marketplace heating up with new competitors at a consistent pace, Apple - according to a plethora of market analysts - is wise to be considering whatever is "next" for the iPad. Given the bold demand for FaceTime among iPhone 4 users and now Mac owners, the added functionality of video chat to the iPad experience will certainly embellish the marketability of the 2nd generation Apple tablet. Analysts agree, however, that two new cameras aren't enough and that Apple has to make a series of improvements and touch-ups to make a new iPad worth purchasing so soon after the first was released.

Barron's

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

kokowawa (10-29-2010), sjkkjs (10-30-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I will not be buying any New iPad for the next 3 to 4 Year's the one I have will last me for a long time, but I do need a new Apple Labtop.

I would assume the second iPad would at the very least have a facetime camera... And while you're at it, why not shove another one out back? The iPod Touch, iPhone, and most tablets worth looking at have 2 cameras...

I say 4 front facing cameras for each possible rotation, and one super epic camera on the back.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    I would assume the second iPad would at the very least have a facetime camera... And while you're at it, why not shove another one out back? The iPod Touch, iPhone, and most tablets worth looking at have 2 cameras...

I say 4 front facing cameras for each possible rotation, and one super epic camera on the back.
    ^ HAHAHAHAHA

Well i sure would hope that the iPad 2 will have alot more than the first. Like more GB, Retina Display, Multiple cameras, and more but who knows. It better have at least 1 camera and it better be on the front!

I'm waiting for the 2nd generation iPad
    but I have a question: now the iPhone 4 and iPad has enough power to run flash applications.. WHY apple still doesn't allow flash to run??

I could easily believe this, heck i almost expect it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I can see the front camera for FaceTime, but who would be using a rear facing camera? The iPad is way too bulky to use as a camera, and I'd feel like an idiot using it to take pictures.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MacDevil7334 For This Useful Post:

JustinBrettH (10-29-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by kokowawa View Post
    but I have a question: now the iPhone 4 and iPad has enough power to run flash applications.. WHY apple still doesn't allow flash to run??
    They HATE Adobe, and anything that means you don't have to purchase games from their App Store

Html5 Nuff said
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post

+1 I need all angles if my junk available for chat roulette.

Ipad with gyroscope will be a nice gaming xperience i believe!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I would feel stupid taking a picture with the iPad..... holding that big thing up to take a picture! lol

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Trust me, I have a 4th gen iPod touch (A4 chip EXACTLY the same model number as the iPad), and even when using iOverclock to remove all CPU restrictions to make it run just like the iPad, Frash still sucks. Bad.
    And having a rear camera, seriously? I definitely agree with the guy who said he'd feel like an idiot taking pictures with an iPad. And for the sake of everyone around iPad owners, they better not let them take VIDEO with a ten inch tablet!

cameras only is not going to do it for me,it needs to able to make cellular calls too.

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    cameras only is not going to do it for me,it needs to able to make cellular calls too.
    Lol. Yeah it needs to be more portable to fit in your pocket too.

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I would feel stupid taking a picture with the iPad..... holding that big thing up to take a picture! lol
    I agree I'd feel dumb.
    Also you might as well just get an air does alot more and will be able to run apps in like 60 days. And the air is just as portable as a iPad. Down side is battery life and the iPad is the king of the battery life.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

The front facing camera feature is like Picture in Picture was for tv. It was a cool feature probably seldom used. I can see how face time is cool for families wanting to connect and see each other but unless its my girlfriend I don't need to see my buddies mug LOL

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

Put 4 cameras on it. dont ask why just do it. that way itll be twice as cool as some ipod lol. better have a retina display and at LEAST 64 gigs. i want 2 gigs of processing speed. make it lighter. i don't care if the all the sizes stay the same. put a home button for landscape mode too. two home buttons? heck yes! twice the fun lol. plus we could incorporate that into game play, etc. dont ask do it, eh, eh, do it, do it, eh do it

The only reason it would have two cameras on it is for the flip around view mode in facetime. It is convenient to show your caller what your looking at, and then back to yourself, without risking dropping the device, or accidentally touching a button etc etc.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

At this point if the next iPad doesn't have a camera for facetime I'll be really surprised. I'm also hoping for retina display, more storage, better speed, and for it to be up to date on firmware (everytime I use my iPad after my phone I get frustrated that it's not on 4.x yet. I know, soon, but there should never have been a separation).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast