+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad to Face Challenge from HP Slate

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I still don't get this whole tablets having rear cameras thing. Especially people wanting it on the 10" iPad. Have people imagined themselves and others taking photos and VIDEOS with
    Thanks

I still don't get this whole tablets having rear cameras thing. Especially people wanting it on the 10" iPad. Have people imagined themselves and others taking photos and VIDEOS with something nine or ten inches diagonal? That'd look STUPID! I'm sorry, but that really would. "Let's go to the game." (Or anything else, really) "OK." "Hey, did you bring a camera?" "No, but I've always got my iPad!" "Put that thing down, I'm trying to see! Who actually takes pictures with their IPAD anyway?"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    A real OS that was never designed for touch controls.

Thanks

I've had a couple HP laptops and never had a problem. IMO a juiced HP or Sony PC is better/cheaper than any mac. As for the slate, it seems pretty good, except for the battery life.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punjabi212 For This Useful Post:

sonupwr (10-24-2010), Xenthis (10-22-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    iPad to Face Challenge from ipad2G. not from this tablet or any tablet for a longtime to come hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahah.
    Still using iOS...
    Only way iPad can beat a full on OS is if it runs on cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    yea its all about the OS....bad OS bad Product
    Not sure if you are bagging on Apple because it is such a limited OS, or you are a MS Hater. After reading your previous post, you are going against MS.
    Last edited by unison999; 10-22-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default HP Slate - Snoozer
    Hey all-

I actually had the opportunity to handle an HP Slate last week. My HP sales rep brought one in for us to look at. bottom line: It's crap! The hardware is slick but Windows 7 is in now way a tablet OS and does not compete with the simplicity that iOS brings to the iPad.

Not only that but the thing heats up pretty quickly and the battery life sucks big time! Even the HP rep told me that most of his clients are telling him the same thing! He even told us to wait for the WebOS version of the client!

Apple and iPad has nothing to worry about on this one...

Seriously.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default hp fail for sure
    had the opportunity to use the slate for an hour and i set it down after 10 minutes. Windows 7 is probably the best windows os for touch but the experience is nowhere near the iPad. Looks like there won't be a web OS slate for at least 6 months

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I will buy one I believe I can install os x on it plus I love my laptop but it's to bulky and with I can use many windows apps right on the go ha can't wait

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    For once apple hardware is a better value for the price
    You think so? let see
    Ipad 64G = $699
    HP Slate - $799 a whopping $100 different, so what you get for that $100 different you ask?
    - USB 2.0 port
    - Front back camera
    - A SD slot for SD cards
    - WACOM digitizer with stylus pen (look it up)
    - Integrated 802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth 3.0 + HS combo
    - A full blown windows 7 pro OS
    - 2G or RAM
    - being able to install any existing windows software
    - A real processor with 1.6 Ghz
    .....more
    The point is the HP Slate is not meant to compete with toys like the ipad, it's build for business, for industries like insurance, home appraisal, medical, construction...etc that already use their specialized software on tablet PC's for years...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So many one aided comments as always. We haven't even seen this thing in action? How is everyone so sure it will be bad. Because it runs windows 7? Tell me what is so bad about windows 7. I'd love to hear it. Battery life isn't optimal but o wouldn't call it abysmal. Who spends more than five hours a day on a thing like this?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

punjabi212 (10-22-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rich27 View Post
    How will this ever compete with the iPad?

No 3g
    No extensive App Store
    More expensive

Why would anyone buy this???????
    Doesn't need an app store. It is 100% fully capable of installing .exe files and such. This is a full OS we're talking about. Why apps if you have millions of programs, loads of games, it can install anything windows. Put iTunes on it, put Photoshop on it, put Diskaid, put Imgburn, run Sn0wbreeze on it, use Redsn0w. Point made.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I still don't get this whole tablets having rear cameras thing. Especially people wanting it on the 10" iPad. Have people imagined themselves and others taking photos and VIDEOS with something nine or ten inches diagonal? That'd look STUPID! I'm sorry, but that really would. "Let's go to the game." (Or anything else, really) "OK." "Hey, did you bring a camera?" "No, but I've always got my iPad!" "Put that thing down, I'm trying to see! Who actually takes pictures with their IPAD anyway?"
    Think about this scenario, an insurance adjuster already have his insurance speacialized software installed on the Slate(as he already has on his PC), instead of taking photos of a car he's working on then get back to his PC, downloading it then upload to his insurance company claim system, he could just use the slate.
    The State is not meant to be used as a toy like an iPad, it's built for business with existing window software...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Firefox, google chrome, flash, java, what more?!

Firefox, google chrome, flash, java, what more?! Emulate Linux on it, run games, WTF... BEST TABLET OUT THERE, Hell it's not even there, tablet generation is over, it's all about the SLATE generation
    Last edited by Halten77; 10-22-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Starcraft 2 anyone? might be slow though

Thanks

Thanksnfor clearing that up danelgran. I wasn't aware some were already built

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danelgran View Post
    Hey all-

I actually had the opportunity to handle an HP Slate last week. My HP sales rep brought one in for us to look at. bottom line: It's crap! The hardware is slick but Windows 7 is in now way a tablet OS and does not compete with the simplicity that iOS brings to the iPad.

Not only that but the thing heats up pretty quickly and the battery life sucks big time! Even the HP rep told me that most of his clients are telling him the same thing! He even told us to wait for the WebOS version of the client!

Apple and iPad has nothing to worry about on this one...

Seriously.
    now way? Maybe no way?
    Anyways you can always simplify things, turn this off turn that off. But you can not make a simple iPad more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h4ng0ver View Post
    Think about this scenario, an insurance adjuster already have his insurance speacialized software installed on the Slate(as he already has on his PC), instead of taking photos of a car he's working on then get back to his PC, downloading it then upload to his insurance company claim system, he could just use the slate.
    The State is not meant to be used as a toy like an iPad, it's built for business with existing window software...
    True, I still really don't get the iPad one though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It seems every conversation about the iPad comes down to the "it's not a real OS" thing.

Has anyone making this argument stopped to think what 90% of computer owners do on their machines?

I know we here, and those at other tech sites are the over initiated outliers, but in reality most people do just a handful of things on their computers.

The average user web surfs, reads email and occasionally uploads and views photos.

There is really very little the "normal" user would want to do that cannot be accomplished within the existing iPad environment.

In addition the slimmer OS provides greater battery life, better overall performance, cooler running temps and faster boot/launch times and I can't really imagine wanting a "real OS" on a pad/slate/tablet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 3g. I love them both and think they're great devices but I'm not an idiot Apple Fanboy that is close minded to all other products on the market. I look forward to checking out the HP Slate when its released and if it's a great device that I feel I'll benefit from then I'll be purchasing one to go along with my other devices.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rich27 View Post
    How will this ever compete with the iPad?

No 3g
    No extensive App Store
    More expensive

Why would anyone buy this???????
    Because there is a real market for it. The iPad is awesome, and I had a lot of fun with mine before I sold it.

iPad: App-store has too many restrictions for distribution of proprietary software. It's based entirely on marketing the software, when sometimes you don't want to sell it. Most corporations use custom software to do internal functions.

Slate: Supports MSOffice, most corporations can run their software with little or no modifications of the code. IT departments can distribute software, and remotely troubleshoot a Slate with W7.

iPad: No USB, no camera.

Slate: PC USB accessories will work with it, has webcam, can connect external drives.

I can tell you that I could get a LOT more done with a Slate than an iPad. Apple's restrictions are the biggest reason for that, not hardware.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So many one aided comments as always. We haven't even seen this thing in action? How is everyone so sure it will be bad. Because it runs windows 7? Tell me what is so bad about windows 7. I'd love to hear it. Battery life isn't optimal but o wouldn't call it abysmal. Who spends more than five hours a day on a thing like this?
    I held one...for about 20 minutes... HP added an ipad-ish front end that is sluggish and unusable.

I held one...its crap! Windows 7 on this thing sucks!!!!

If only you can turn off Windows 7 on this thing! Did I mention this thing brings a stylus????? That's like taking a step backwards! and the Windows 7 keyboard is garbage!

But don't take my word for it....soon everyone will realize how crappy this thing is!
    Last edited by danelgran; 10-22-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost