+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad to Face Challenge from HP Slate

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by psilocybin tablets arnt suppose to be a computer they are 2 separate things That is Jobs definition, now if a tablet have the power of a computer
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psilocybin View Post
    tablets arnt suppose to be a computer
    they are 2 separate things
    That is Jobs definition, now if a tablet have the power of a computer that is actually a PLUS. The ability to do more is not a bad thing.
    Last edited by unison999; 10-22-2010 at 11:56 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (10-22-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gigapocket1 View Post
    Fail.. It's priced $100 more than apples 64gig.. It has a poorer battery life and I think the screen may b smaller.. Windows 7 is going to run like crap on it.. Poor hp.. This is not an iPad killer.. Better luck next holiday season

Quote Originally Posted by goonie1976 View Post
    FAIL ... Where is your webcam?. ... you have to buy one connector to put a camera in your IPAD. PAY

FAIL ... Where is your external video connector? . ... you have to buy a connector to use your IPAD with a TV. PAY AGAIN.
    But ... . again, you can't use the webcam using your TV and your IPAD.

FAIL ... How can you see some pictures from your camera into your IPAD? . again ... you have to pay for an USB connector and of course you have to buy a card reader, and pray for a program that makes it possible (I've a Nikon d90 and in my PC and in my macbook pro I've the tools ... will you?). PAAAY AGAIN

FAIL ... Do you think that I have to loose more time comparing your Media player against a real compuer?

Maybe you will be one of those APPLE lovers that can't see beyond the bitten apple. Oh, my bitten apple is the best ... of course in design that's true.

The IPAD doesn't have a true operative system, IOS it's a joke. You can't compare one Multimedia player as the IPAD with a PC or a macbook air. Those last options have a real Operative System inside, not the IOS.

Poor FAN, remove the bandage that makes you blind.

F.Y.A.: I've a Macbook pro unibody first 2009 and two iphones (2G and 3G) but I can't understand people like you. Those are different products, you can't compare them.
    ^this answer pretty much deads this post lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

not so much of a iPad killer IMO. And for the price I'd lean towards the "netbook killer". The MB Air is awsome and while it's not a tablet it is along the same lines as the hp product. As for anything HP. I'll hold off on the critical bashing for now until this is released. However my last two touch screen laptops from them were mega slow and crappy!!!! The specs on this are almost identical minus the keyboard and body. Win 7 on this could pose a huge speed issue. As for the batt life. For now I say the 5hrs is more than likely in some sort of standby mode.

But.... We shall see. In the mean time I'm off to pickup my new Air :-)

Thanks

tablets arnt suppose to be a computer
    they are 2 separate things
    Isn't it called a slate PC (Personal Computer)?

Just saying...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone who knows anything, should know you can log into your work desktop using citrix reciever (if your company uses citrix, as most large organizations do). My company appsense which deals with user virtualization have been doing a number of deals with hospitals who are using ipads with citrix reciever to access windows desktops and applications, and running just like it was a laptop

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

For once apple hardware is a better value for the price

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Because it runs a real OS for one, making it more than just a novelty item.
    This. They claim the ipad is trying to be a business tool but if I brought something running "IOS" into my IT job my co-workers would laugh me out of town and rightfully so. This thing runs windows 7 so right off the bat I have compatibility with real world apps, not little toys from the app store. Most IMPORTANT networks are geared for windows or linux, not IOS. Simply put if you wanna tweet and play angry birds get an ipad. If you want a COMPUTER not a toy, get something else.

I don't want this at all for the record, but if I was going to get a useless tablet I'd choose this over the ipad any day.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    I've owned 2 HP laptops and haven't had a single issue with a faulty motherboard
    Same here, I love HP and i'm a fan of their products however i'm not sure if the slate should be running windows 7. I would like to see a standalone OS from microsoft on this device.

Thanks

hmmm, a great ipad killer, except for the 5 hours of battery life, and if the touch screen is good, and it runs with no lag, its a def ipad killer

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

iPad to Face Challenge from ipad2G. not from this tablet or any tablet for a longtime to come hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahah.

Thanks

wheres the specs

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ok that big response that said "FAIL" alot......yea that one, has a point.

my good side:
    the specs on this thing are impressive ive gotta say but if it doesnt lag like the "archos" and W7 runs smoothly(couldn't even say it with a straight face) than it could be a potential ipad killer.

My bad side:
    But since that battery life sucks it all sucks hp is going down and down all the way and I hate W7 so yea!!!!!!

conclusion:
    The only ipad killer for right now is the IPAD 2G!!!!!!!!!!!

wheres the specs

System features
    See detailed specs
    US QuickSpecs » html » pdf
    Operating system
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 32
    Processor
    Intel® Atom™ Processor Z540 (1.86 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    Chipset
    Intel® System Controller Hub (SCH) US15W
    Dimensions and weight
    Weight
    Starting at 1.5 lb (Starting at 0.68 kg)
    Dimensions (w x d x h)
    9.21 x 0.58 x 5.91 in (23.40 x 1.47 x 15.00 cm)
    Memory
    Memory, maximum
    2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    (Memory is on the board and not customer accessible or upgradeable; memory operates at the maximum system supported speed of 533 MHz.)

Storage
    Internal drive
    Solid State Flash Module
    Up to: 64 GB

Optical drive
    External USB 2.0 CD/DVD R/RW (select models)
    Graphics
    Display
    8.9" diagonal WSVGA wide-viewing angle touchscreen
    Graphics
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500
    Broadcom Crystal HD Enhanced Video Accelerator
    Expansion features
    Ports
    1 USB 2.0
    1 combo stereo headphone/mic jack
    1 integrated microphone
    1 power connector/HP Slate Cradle connector
    Slots
    1 Secure Digital
    Audio
    High Definition audio; Integrated stereo speakers; Integrated microphone; Combo stereo headphone/mic jack
    Integrated camera
    Integrated 3 MP camera; Integrated VGA webcam
    Input devices
    HP Slate Digital Pen
    Communications
    Wireless
    Integrated 802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth 3.0 + HS combo
    Power and operating requirements
    Energy efficiency
    ENERGY STAR® qualified configurations available
    Power supply
    30W AC adapter
    Battery type
    2-cell (30 WHr) polymer
    Battery life
    up to 5+ hours

yea not so shabby. except the battery life it couldnt suck more but even if it did it wouldnt have anything to suck on!

MORE:

HP Slate 500 Tablet PC specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products
    Last edited by athleticswimmer; 10-22-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wheres the specs
    who cares about the specs?this thing will be DOA lol.

Thanks

hmm..2gb ram..wow, battery life is terrible though

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yea its all about the OS....bad OS bad Product

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It looks nice but I'm not sure about that Atom processor though.
    The digitizer they are using brings the price up also.

I wanted the Slate when I first heard about it but after thinking about it, not sure I'd need a desktop OS for what I want to do with a tablet. As long as it has a RDP client, 5250 client I can access work when I need to while away traveling. I don't do spreadsheets or programming when I travel for work, which is mostly for training or symposiums, so as long as I can connect back remotely,surf a little web & watch a movie on the plane I'm fine.The iPad will do this. I guess it depends on your business and how your IT handles security for mobile users.

The Slate is geared towards business at least that's how HP is pushing it now, so I think it's more of a PlayBook rival(PB geared towards business and also ties back to a BES for security) than iPad. You can hook up a keyboard to it and it does has a nice looking dock but if I'm going to carry all that I'd be better off with my laptop. The HDMI out on the dock would be nice for TV but for presentations I'm not sure how many people have hdmi ports on their projectors unless you plan on carrying your own to do presentations. Another downside will be running anti virus software and potential malware. Also for $800 I'd buy a laptop. I wouldn't buy an iPad for $800 either.

So to end this. I think the iPad and Slate are geared towards different people.

I see the iPad as more of a home consumer device even more so with an entry point of $500 and the Slate geared toward the Business Enterprise. I wish people would drop the iPad killer and especially the DOA phrase. Each has their pro's & con's

If a person has the money I say buy the one that will make you happy and fit your needs.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Hmmm wonder if they'll be inputting faulty motherboards as they do they laptops.
    I have had multiple HP desktops and 4 or 5 laptops, none of which have had motherboard issues. I can buy 2 full blown HP laptops that are far superior to any Mac on the market for the same price as 1 MacBook Pro. There is a serious problem with that. This Slate will sell simply because it will be superior to the iPad and if people would get their head out if the sand here then they will see exactly how this product will be preferred over the iPad in the business industry. I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong, but the iPad? Never going to happen. Apple will step up their game though with the next gen and then maybe I will consider it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

punjabi212 (10-22-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I have had multiple HP desktops and 4 or 5 laptops, none of which have had motherboard issues. I can buy 2 full blown HP laptops that are far superior to any Mac on the market for the same price as 1 MacBook Pro. There is a serious problem with that. This Slate will sell simply because it will be superior to the iPad and if people would get their head out if the sand here then they will see exactly how this product will be preferred over the iPad in the business industry. I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong, but the iPad? Never going to happen. Apple will step up their game though with the next gen and then maybe I will consider it.
    turn your laptop into a mac
    hackintosh ftw

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    That's what I was getting at also. I think the Slate is more towards business and the ipad the home consumer. They could work in either or but really IMO are geared for different buyers so they aren't really in direct market competition

Thanks

the slate wont be an ipad killer, but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for it

i would gladly pay good money for a tablet that can run itunes and manage my iphone, as well as download torrents and hook up usb devices like a cd/dvd burner, or to my video camera, or to my iphone, and have more of a pc os than a phone os, something that could replace my laptop, not add to my laptop bag

surely i am not the only consumer the feels this way