+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HyperMac Stymied in its Tracks By Apple

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Chalk up another victory for Apple. The powers that be in Cupertino have effectively stopped accessory maker HyperMac in their tracks with a lawsuit that prohibits the sale of patented
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default HyperMac Stymied in its Tracks By Apple

Chalk up another victory for Apple. The powers that be in Cupertino have effectively stopped accessory maker HyperMac in their tracks with a lawsuit that prohibits the sale of patented MagSafe MacBook charging cables beginning two weeks from tomorrow - Tuesday November 2nd, 2010 at midnight.

Naturally, the folks at HyperMac have now begun a sales bonanza to move as many units as they possibly can before the law prevents such commerce any further. "Last Call," reads the headline of HyperMac's newest ad. "We will cease the sale of MacBook charging cables on November 2nd, so this is your last chance to get a MacBook External Battery." That is, of course, until Apple starts selling them - an eventuality pointed to by patents that the company holds and reportedly plans to use on a 2nd generation iPad to be released - most likely - next year.

Apple, however, is not putting HyperMac out of business all together - just this particular product. "While we will continue to sell the same batteries together with the rest of our product line after November 2nd, they will not be able to charge MacBooks without the cables," Sanho, the parent company of HyperMac, acknowledged online. "We wish thank the many customers who have already gotten the HyperMac External MacBook Battery and those of you that gave us wonderful reviews."

Hypershop

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (10-20-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Never used the hypermac. But it does sound cool that Mac will add this type of product to their base. Currently my mbp lasts all of it's bat life and so does my ip4 even on biz trips. So never had the need for add bat life.

Thanks

That thing is almost as big as the iPad.

They should make a carry on case for the HyperMac
    Last edited by tudtran; 10-18-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

and apple will charge 3x as much

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

ROFL

They want 500$ for an external battery? Is this company a joke?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxhorseriderxxx For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (10-18-2010), rkswat (10-18-2010)

Thanks

I was going to buy one when I saw this, but $300 for the 100Wh one?! yeah right....

Twitter: @tshoults

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxhorseriderxxx View Post
    ROFL

They want 500$ for an external battery? Is this company a joke?
    And they want $150 for a car charger. It would be cheaper to buy a small inverter for the car and use that. Neat stuff, but the prices are high!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I was hoping for a better sale since they can't sell them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    And they want $150 for a car charger. It would be cheaper to buy a small inverter for the car and use that. Neat stuff, but the prices are high!
    I agree
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't you just love patented proprietary cables? Would be convenient to buy a couple power cables for my macbook so that I can keep one in the bookbag for classes and another one plugged in a the compuyter desk at home. No thanks for $70 though! (yes, I know this company is charging an even greater arm and leg than Apple, it's the principle of such cables that annoys me).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    I was hoping for a better sale since they can't sell them anymore.

I agree

LOL, i don't think you understand what they are offering when they sell a car charger for 150 bucks.

Yes it is cheaper to buy a inverter that a DC charger but you have to understand the science and possible damage a inverter can do to a MAcbook's internal power components.

See a a Macbook Pro runs on 17 to 18 Volts DC. Your car runs on 12 Volts DC.

Now a inverter has to convert 12Volts DC to 120 Volts AC which then your power adapter has to convert it back down to 17 Volts DC.

With all that conversion you get modified sine waves and noise which overall is nasty unclean power and overtime will hurt your macbook.

Instead what this car charger does is simply slightly up the DC voltage to 17 Volts from 12 and maintains a clean crisp power to your computer.

Also keeps your car protected. For example, With a inverter you place probably 8 to 9 Amps of power on your car, more than a vacuum cleaner needs to convert up and down vs a DC to DC which probably only uses 3 to 4 AMPS DC.

So its also a lot less load on your car.

So Apple, SCREW YOU for killing this company.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryfly For This Useful Post:

Aleckloss (10-18-2010)

Thanks

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a second Mac PS, chop the cable and put generic male/female connectors on them? Then I could use the PS or plug the new MagSafe 'pigtail' into some other DC source if I wanted. Would that work?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfly View Post
    LOL, i don't think you understand what they are offering when they sell a car charger for 150 bucks.

Yes it is cheaper to buy a inverter that a DC charger but you have to understand the science and possible damage a inverter can do to a MAcbook's internal power components.

See a a Macbook Pro runs on 17 to 18 Volts DC. Your car runs on 12 Volts DC.

Now a inverter has to convert 12Volts DC to 120 Volts AC which then your power adapter has to convert it back down to 17 Volts DC.

With all that conversion you get modified sine waves and noise which overall is nasty unclean power and overtime will hurt your macbook.

Instead what this car charger does is simply slightly up the DC voltage to 17 Volts from 12 and maintains a clean crisp power to your computer.

Also keeps your car protected. For example, With a inverter you place probably 8 to 9 Amps of power on your car, more than a vacuum cleaner needs to convert up and down vs a DC to DC which probably only uses 3 to 4 AMPS DC.

So its also a lot less load on your car.

So Apple, SCREW YOU for killing this company.
    Do you work for this company?
    JK

But that would not really make that big of a difference. The Macbook's adapter already has to convert up and down to a houses power source, so this isnt going to be a big deal.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Do you work for this company?
    JK

But that would not really make that big of a difference. The Macbook's adapter already has to convert up and down to a houses power source, so this isnt going to be a big deal.
    LOL, maybe i should.

I storm chase time to time so my experience with inverters is quite extensive. I've blown fuses, to melted wiring in the car to the PMU dyeing.

Once had 32 Golf cart batteries power a entire 80 foot houseboat including the A/C. Boy that was a trip until the sensitive electronics started to break such as DVD, TV etc.

Inverters have to modifiy the electrical current in weird ways in which power adapters and computers don't like. For example, if you have a iMac, and use a 100 watt inverter that doesn't produce a clean sine wave, not of your temperature sensors will work.

Its quite werid to power your iMac and then in istat, non of the sensors appear to work, though on a laptop, this doesn't seem to happen.

I have blown way to many inverters, laptops, etc to personally say, inverters suck and a simple DC to DC such as a plane uses, the best way to go.