+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Costco Allegedly Angry with Apple and Dropping the iPod

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Costco, the third largest retailer in the US, has been getting a lot of press the last few days over the company's alleged secret feud with Apple. Why the supposed
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Costco Allegedly Angry with Apple and Dropping the iPod

Costco, the third largest retailer in the US, has been getting a lot of press the last few days over the company's alleged secret feud with Apple. Why the supposed bickering? It's all about the iPad. At a time when the holidays are approaching and the likes of Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and even Sam's Club have been given the green light to stock and sell the iPad, the folks at Costco feel a little left out.

As a result, Costco executives are said to be fuming and considering dropping the iPod from its electronics inventory in order to "punish" Apple for the shun. The only problem with this accusation is that Costco is yet to formally announce any such plans. It seems the basis for these claims is that Costco recently removed the iPod from the company's online storefront. In addition, "anonymous sources" quoted in various published reports state that all Apple iPods are now being sold without Costco replenishing supplies.

Although Costco has a history of getting "revenge" on partners who don't play nice - like last year's decision by Coscto to pull the plug on Coca-cola products over a pricing flap - Costco is yet to say a word about its plans to drop or continue to carry the iPod. But at this time it appears that there are no plans in place for Apple to begin allowing Costco to sell the iPad. And that leaves a lot of people scratching their heads.

iLounge

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mista Brothason's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like Costco needs a cranberry juice

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Brothason View Post
    Looks like Costco needs a cranberry juice

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    From Kirkland Brand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Costco seems to be using dirty business here, trying to bully Apple into bringing the iPad to them.

But what percentage of iPod sales come from Costco anyways? I don't think it would be a big loss for Apple.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mohaas05 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (10-16-2010)

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Costco should offer a jailbreaking service to spite apple...lol

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (10-16-2010), that_girl (10-16-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Costco should offer a jailbreaking service to spite apple...lol
    Hahahaha that would be epic! and possibly unlocking service depending on their firmware...hahaha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (10-16-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

What percentage of iPods are sold at Costco's?
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyRicky For This Useful Post:

Mofles (10-21-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    Costco, the third largest retailer in the US, has been getting a lot of press the last few days over the company's alleged secret feud with Apple. Why the supposed bickering? It's all about the iPad. At a time when the holidays are approaching and the likes of Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and even Sam's Club have been given the green light to stock and sell the iPad, the folks at Costco feel a little left out.

As a result, Costco executives are said to be fuming and considering dropping the iPod from its electronics inventory in order to "punish" Apple for the shun. The only problem with this accusation is that Costco is yet to formally announce any such plans. It seems the basis for these claims is that Costco recently removed the iPod from the company's online storefront. In addition, "anonymous sources" quoted in various published reports state that all Apple iPods are now being sold without Costco replenishing supplies.

Although Costco has a history of getting "revenge" on partners who don't play nice - like last year's decision by Coscto to pull the plug on Coca-cola products over a pricing flap - Costco is yet to say a word about its plans to drop or continue to carry the iPod. But at this time it appears that there are no plans in place for Apple to begin allowing Costco to sell the iPad. And that leaves a lot of people scratching their heads.

iLounge
    Here is precisely why I hate you as a "journalist." This article nothing but speculation. You constantly supply this site and us, the readers, with rumor based articles that have absolutely no merit to them whatsoever and fail to provide the community with any substance.

What gets me the most about this specific article is that you start off by saying Costco "has been getting a lot of press the last few days over the company's alleged secret feud with Apple," but your ONLY source is iLounge.com! IMHO, one blogpost from another Apple loving site is far from "a lot of press."

Please stop writing articles for MMI.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Caligula (10-16-2010), cctd (10-18-2010), gbarielmoreno (10-16-2010), MrBucket101 (10-16-2010), politicalslug (10-16-2010), rkswat (10-16-2010), Tyronal (10-17-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Here is precisely why I hate you as a "journalist." This article nothing but speculation. You constantly supply this site and us, the readers, with rumor based articles that have absolutely no merit to them whatsoever and fail to provide the community with any substance.

What gets me the most about this specific article is that you start off by saying Costco "has been getting a lot of press the last few days over the company's alleged secret feud with Apple," but your ONLY source is iLounge.com! IMHO, one blogpost from another Apple loving site is far from "a lot of press."

Stop coming to MMI. That sounds better
    Last edited by EskimoRuler; 10-16-2010 at 01:54 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EskimoRuler For This Useful Post:

chrisangel13 (10-16-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post

This is why I hate you as a member. You constantly, along with others, whine about the posting of news. Yet if nothing got posted you would would still whine about there being nothing at all.

If you don't like his journalism do something but I'm sure it's much easier to play arm chair journalist and point out what's wrong as opposed to actually contributing to the news. Many members do it already.

Stop cluttering threads with why you hate Messany. Just don't read his articles. It's that simple. Many others enjoy the rumors. It's news for us.

Sac up or shut up.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

belks (10-16-2010), C-dub (10-16-2010), cctd (10-18-2010), chrisangel13 (10-16-2010), greek.guy (10-18-2010), mvhurlburt (10-17-2010), redmcmac (10-22-2010), vinaygoel2000 (10-16-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont see how is this article related to jailbreaking unlocking or modding iphone ipad ipod or any of such in any possible way. nd who cares about cosco nd apple business how many ppl on this forum actually go to cosco to buy apple product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    i dont see how is this article related to jailbreaking unlocking or modding iphone ipad ipod or any of such in any possible way. nd who cares about cosco nd apple business how many ppl on this forum actually go to cosco to buy apple product.
    it's news about apple dooface.

Twitter: @tshoults

Banned
    Thanks

Micheal essay always reports a rumor a day after macrumors does the original. Modmyi should hire me. I could just copy a rumor from Macrumors and paste it on modmyi. Micheal be original

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gbarielmoreno For This Useful Post:

rkswat (10-16-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post

It's not like MMI is a pay service. Once you start being charged, then complain. Until then love it or leave it. MMI will do fine w/o the members that hate the "news" updates or a writers columns. Go read the news on apple.com so it's all official for you.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jordbrett For This Useful Post:

chrisangel13 (10-16-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Costco is best place to buy ipods because of their 90 day return warranty and the ipods in costco are like 20 bucks cheaper and still the exact same as best buy or apple.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Aznjonathan23 For This Useful Post:

rkswat (10-16-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    Stop coming to MMI. That sounds better
    Yeah.... let's not hold the writer to a high standard, simply let him dribble on about things which he can't verify. Sounds like your a sheep that will follow any one any where as long as it's posted on a forum

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    This is why I hate you as a member. You constantly, along with others, whine about the posting of news. Yet if nothing got posted you would would still whine about there being nothing at all.
    If you don't like his journalism do something but I'm sure it's much easier to play arm chair journalist and point out what's wrong as opposed to actually contributing to the news. Many members do it already.
    Stop cluttering threads with why you hate Messany. Just don't read his articles. It's that simple. Many others enjoy the rumors. It's news for us.
    Sac up or shut up.
    Another fanboy. this isn't news nimrod, it's speculation. I can start threads speculating anything siting sources that have no clue too. I wouldn't have a problem with the OP's story if he had written it in a way that really pushed the "rumor" side of the story but he doesn't do that. You and the person I quoted above really don't care if there is proof that a story may or may not be true, speculation works just fine I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jordbrett View Post
    It's not like MMI is a pay service. Once you start being charged, then complain. Until then love it or leave it. MMI will do fine w/o the members that hate the "news" updates or a writers columns. Go read the news on apple.com so it's all official for you.
    Yeah, don't hold the people that produce "news" on this site to a high standard.... no need for that. Yeah it's not a pay site but every member has the ability and right to voice their opinion.
    Last edited by rkswat; 10-16-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Hahahaha that would be epic! and possibly unlocking service depending on their firmware...hahaha
    You just wrote a rant in another news post about people bringing up unlocks and hijacking threads and it being a stupid topic. Everyone can view ur rant in the pwnage tool news above this one!

Just saying

Thanks

Can the mods just add a rumors and speculations division to the news page so that everyone is happy? I'm a journalist for the Atlanta Journal of Constitution and this is not credible news or backed but it is news worthy speculation and rumor.
    It's not what he wrote about it's how he wrote it. State it as rumor instead of fact and it's all good!

And guys... Ipads in Taiwan, German phone carriers eating babies, monkeys fornicating with an iPod touch are not about mods and jailbreaks either... It's an interest we inherently have in all stories relating to our hobby or passion or play thing, our idevices. If he was an Anderson Cooper or Dan Rather he would be anywhere but here, earning a buck and a reputation.

Give him a break, he's young and eager to find you something interesting to read.

Do not post and drive, just hit a curb. Fact.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

lol yeah, they should offer free jailbreaking and unlocking on the spot, for FREE to spike apple, it would be perfect