+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Video] PwnageTool & the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQ7nqWYHAQ&hd=1]YouTube - Pwnagetool Preview[/ame] MuscleNerd has tweeted a nice little "nerd alert", which showcases a demo video of the iPad getting a custom firmware restore using PwnageTool. Basically, PwnageTool uses
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default [Video] PwnageTool & the iPad
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQ7nqWYHAQ&hd=1]YouTube - Pwnagetool Preview[/ame]

MuscleNerd has tweeted a nice little "nerd alert", which showcases a demo video of the iPad getting a custom firmware restore using PwnageTool.

Basically, PwnageTool uses geohot's limera1n exploit to convince iTunes to restore a custom firmware. In fact, in this video demo, MuscleNerd shows that you can even restore an iPad to pre-JB 3.2.2 from PwnageTool.

Stay tuned, as PwnageTool is set to release this Sunday. Once again, a "sunday funday"! If MuscleNerd posts a video for the AppleTV device, I'll add it to this post.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

alcapown (10-15-2010), DisneyRicky (10-15-2010), gatorsxrule (10-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Good new is good.
    Sweet. Can't wait for my jailbreak and potential unlock.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Eric, eh? Always wondered that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeeahhhh booiiiiii!!! I've been waiting a while for PwnageTool. JailbreakMe did good but I need to recreate this fw. Good job devs, always a pleasure!

Thanks

Does this mean I'll be able to downgrade my 3G to 3.x without SHSH saved? That would be great as the 3Gs really lag on iOS4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lj22s View Post
    Does this mean I'll be able to downgrade my 3G to 3.x without SHSH saved? That would be great as the 3Gs really lag on iOS4.
    Um, you don't need SHSH's stored for the 3G. Just go into recovery mode and then option/restore to 3.1.3. You may get an iTunes error at the end of the restore. Once you get the error, use TU to kick it out of recovery and you're all set. Did two 3G yesterday with this method. Quick and easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Um, you don't need SHSH's stored for the 3G. Just go into recovery mode and then option/restore to 3.1.3. You may get an iTunes error at the end of the restore. Once you get the error, use TU to kick it out of recovery and you're all set. Did two 3G yesterday with this method. Quick and easy.
    Really? Will that in any way affect my JB or unlock? I don't think it will change the BB. What JB method did you use on 3.1.3?

I was under the impression that you're unable to restore to a firmware that apple isn't signing anymore.
    Last edited by lj22s; 10-15-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Really? Will that in any way affect my JB or unlock? I don't think it will change the BB. What JB method did you use on 3.1.3?

I was under the impression that you're unable to restore to a firmware that apple isn't signing anymore.
    Do you have a 3G or 3gs? If you have 3gs and want to downgrade you have to have shsh saved even when using Pwnage Tool.
    You can use Blackra1n to jailbreak 3.1.3 if you need it. If you use Pwnage Tool to downgrade then you won't need Blackra1n because Pwnage Tool will jailbreak it for you.
    Last edited by Go Gators; 10-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks

You only have to worry about Apple signing FW for the 3GS and iP4, not the 3G. You can use Spirit or Redsn0w to JB, or revert to 3.1.2 and use blackra1n and just reinstall ultrasn0w for your unlock.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdm.accord For This Useful Post:

gatorsxrule (10-15-2010)

Thanks

You only have to worry about Apple signing FW for the 3GS and iP4, not the 3G. You can use Spirit or Redsn0w to JB, or revert to 3.1.2 and use blackra1n and just reinstall ultrasn0w for your unlock.
    Thanks a lot for the great information. This whole time I've been using this slow ***** phone when I could've just downgraded Thanks again. Will try when I get home.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the great information. This whole time I've been using this slow ***** phone when I could've just downgraded Thanks again. Will try when I get home.
    No prob, glad I could help

Thanks

Just out of curiosity, what's the significant difference between 3G and 3GS as far as firmware signing goes?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Will Pwnage Tool be available for Windows because it's notoriously been a MAC only program? I have always wanted to add a custom firmware to my iPhone(if this version does iP4 as well as iPad) but I don't own a MAC.

Also, I'm a Microsoft developer so I have no use for a MAC for home or business use so save your flames and trolling. My motherboard is Hackintosh compatible but I would rather have a real MAC. I may convert it one of these days though.
    Last edited by saunupe1911; 10-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks

Ready for pwnagetool. Hopefully the apple tv will be included in this release.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

very nice

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Apple did start signing firmware for the 3G when they released 4.0.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    Will Pwnage Tool be available for Windows because it's notoriously been a MAC only program? I have always wanted to add a custom firmware to my iPhone(if this version does iP4 as well as iPad) but I don't own a MAC.

Also, I'm a Microsoft developer so I have no use for a MAC for home or business use so save your flames and trolling. My motherboard is Hackintosh compatible but I would rather have a real MAC. I may convert it one of these days though.
    Or you could do what I do, which is Run a OSX installation in Virtual Box. I simply use PwnageTool on my virtual Mac to create the firmware, then send the firmware to the Windows side for installation to my iPhone 3GS. Easy as Pie.

~Tario70

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Apple did start signing firmware for the 3G when they released 4.0.
    I've done two dozen or more 3G iPhones in the past month (prior to limera1n) to either 3.1.x or 4.0.x so they could be JB without an issue. I even did an Apple refurbished 4.1 back to 3.1.3 without issue. So I've encountered zero issues. I know for a fact not all of them were previously jailbroken. So I'm not sure how that relates to what you're saying but I do tons of phones a month and haven't encountered 3G issues.

Just sayin.......

Thanks

Yeah, there's no worries for jailbreaks of any iOS on the 3G, I was just pointin out that they did in fact start signing them for some strange reason.