Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NYTimes For iPad 2.0 Free Until 2011

Default NYTimes For iPad 2.0 Free Until 2011

The New York Times for iPad is now available in the App Store and will be free until early 2011. Version 2.0 is not scaled down as the previous version was, but is now as complete as the printed newspaper. Users now have access to different types of media including video content. Obviously, this would not be possible on the printed page, but presenting stories in a new, diverse way gives the iPad version a different way for readers to enjoy the news.

The app now includes over 25 Times sections from Arts to Technology, Politics, Science and more. Users can also share articles and photos though social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

When first downloading the app, users will only have access to four sections of the Times: Top News, Most E-Mailed, Business Day and Video. In order to get full access to all sections of the paper, users will have to log in and create a free account with the NYTimes. Itís unfortunate that so may apps require the user to create an account with developers, but in practice itís only a minor inconvenience.

Periodicals have had a difficult time adjusting to new ways of delivering content in a digital format, just as the music industry experienced growing pains when music transitioned to digital. Itís good to see newspapers like the New York Times embrace the iPad and new technology as they have with this latest version of their app. Hopefully, more newspapers and magazine will join the NYTimes and be able to make a graceful transition this new medium.

Source: NYTimes

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

cool. thanks for the article. downloaded and registered my email. looks like a real nice app. i wonder if i will get Sundays paper????

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    cool. thanks for the article. downloaded and registered my email. looks like a real nice app. i wonder if i will get Sundays paper????

That would be sweet

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Once again Apple revolutionizing the way we do things.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yawns!!!!!! they should make the houston cronicle app haha

Unfortunately filled with ads, even for subscribers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Plan on checking this out tonight. Wouldn't mind NY Times for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckarooToo View Post
    Unfortunately filled with ads, even for subscribers.
    Well isn't the actual paper filled with ads too? If so then why should the online version be different? They need some sort of revenue; subscribers alone would not pay for everything they do.
    Last edited by Cer0; 10-15-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Well isn't the actual paper filled with ads too? If so then why should the online version be different? They need some sort of revenue; subscribers alone would not pay for everything they do.
    The paper version also has a higher production cost, which scales with it's subscriber base. The online version should be (mostly) immune to that scaling cost.

It's not all that uncommon for online news sites that provide both free and paid access to their content to remove advertisements as part of the paid content.