+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dual-Connector iPad: Real or Bogus?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
There's renewed excitement about a purported new iPad model with two dock connectors following the release of some pictures showing an iPad back case with openings for two dock enclosures.
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Dual-Connector iPad: Real or Bogus?

There's renewed excitement about a purported new iPad model with two dock connectors following the release of some pictures showing an iPad back case with openings for two dock enclosures. While the pictures match recently discovered industrial design drawings, a number of sites are quoting anonymous sources as saying these are prototype designs for the original iPad that were canceled at the last minute.

Last month, based on drawings found by the perspicacious Jack Purcher at Patently Apple, rumors spread of a new iPad design with an additional dock connector that would allow the device to be docked in either portrait or landscape mode. Yesterday, a nationwide Mac/iDevice/PSP/etc repair shop in Kansas called Mission Repair got hold of what was claimed to be a back case for the supposed new model. The guys at Mission didn't say where they came by the case, but presumably it was through suppliers in Asia. The excitement was such that it actually brought Mission repair's site down for a time yesterday.

Engadget is flatly denying that this is a genuine iPad 2G part. According to "a trusted Engadget source," the picture is of a prototype first-generation iPad. Supposedly, the device had two dock connectors through most of the design phase, but "close to the last minute," the connector on the long side was axed, leaving only the single bottom connector like the iPod and iPhone have. Leaks around the time of the original announcement did indicate that the iPad would have two connectors.

Most of the rumors surrounding the iPad 2G suggest that it will be thinner and lighter, while this case indicates a device that will have the same form factor as the first-generation iPad. A report out today from an industry analyst promised a much smaller 7-inch device, with 128GB flash and a Retina Display, as either an additional or replacement to the current 9.6-inch model.

Source: MacRumors, image via Mission Repair

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

That is ugly

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

That is very ugly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm sure they axed the connection because of asthetics but I could definitely see the benefit with 2 dock connectors. I hope this shows up in the second generation iPad cause it would be useful & it wouldn't be ugly when people get use to it. I wonder what happens when both are used simultaneously

Thanks

Why would apple change iPad design less than a year released? Granted, the iPhone 4 redesign would make more sense IMHO

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i dont really care about 2 doc connectors, but retina display and 128gb, i might like

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple has a nice schedule when releasing things. Same time every year. I don't see a new iPad coming out anytime before march. The dual dock connector would be nice. I'd rather have a retina display, or maybe the look of the ip4

Thanks

Fake piece of brushed metal with a apple logo is now a prototype? Ye right, and Steve Jobs iPhone isn't jailbroken

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLick View Post
    Fake piece of brushed metal with a apple logo is now a prototype? Ye right, and Steve Jobs iPhone isn't jailbroken

Why would steve need to Jailbreak his phone? He can have it built with out restrictions.

Thanks

I'm calling shenanigans
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (10-08-2010)

Thanks

That's gotta be bogus. I mean it would be nice to dock it in landscape and watch movies but I just can't see it looking good.
    The picture is trash too, the dock connector isn't even centered haha.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I'm calling shenanigans
    +1

Thanks

A iPhone built without restrictions is the same as a iPhone with the restrictions removed. Even if jobs had a one off iPhone with no restrictions it would still be jailbroke. Just from apple itself. Why would he pay people to do that when they are released free online? I'm sure his is jailbroke and through a dev team tool. Would it be worth someone leaking his custom frmware signed by apple? Then he couldn't complain?

Thanks

this article is too old man.... it was real but apple rejected the other landscape port to push our current model..

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

why the hell would you want 2 dock connectors? maybe for the ipad dock..but that connector in the picture is not even centered on the ipad so how the hell would that be convienient? how bout a freaking SD card slot or a micro USB slot? Thats where apple needs to be going and not something redundant!

Thanks

ipad has software rotation I dont see why they wouldnt add it, not really neccessary but helpful. how about an apple native springboard and lockscreen rotation for iphone, huh apple
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

Thanks

Lol. Even did a nice job photoshoping it.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    why the hell would you want 2 dock connectors? maybe for the ipad dock..but that connector in the picture is not even centered on the ipad so how the hell would that be convienient? how bout a freaking SD card slot or a micro USB slot? Thats where apple needs to be going and not something redundant!
    They will never put an SD slot on any idevice, Steve would never let us upgrade our memory unless it was an apple made card that only worked on app products. They make too much money charging us for the Higher Storage to let us upgrade and a reasonable cost.

Thanks

shrug. does anyone really care? currently available ipads don't have it. so not like we can do anything about it. worry about rumors is just a waste of time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    shrug. does anyone really care? currently available ipads don't have it. so not like we can do anything about it. worry about rumors is just a waste of time.
    I find it pretty interesting what it'd be for. Didn't your mother teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't talk?