Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.2 Has iPad Tethering Option... Outside the US

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

OMFG
    why wont Apple do stuff like for this in the UNITED STATES where they are BASED!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jordanemmet View Post
    I live here in the states and when I first updated my iPad to 4.2 beta 1, I briefly saw the 'Carrier' field appear in my Settings App, right above or below 'Cellular Data', I can't remember. Either way, I was highly intrigued but nothing I did made it appear again. I guess the OS pings your location once and disables it for good once they see you're in the US.

This makes me wonder if there is a way to dig into the code and manually enable it or spoof your location.
    Was this using an AT&T SIM or a non-AT&T SIM? I would imagine this would to happen with AT&T SIMs, since that's happened to my iPhones before with the unmodified carrier bundles: having the tethering option show up temporarily then go away before I could use it.

I wonder if a T-Mobile or other non-AT&T SIM would enable these tethering settings. It sounds like it should be a carrier based option, just like it is on the iPhones.

I bet this can be 'fixed' by SHAtter and a decent CommCenter and/or carrier bundle patch.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Does this really serve any purpose? What are you going to use it with? Your netbook? It seems that tethering on a phone was a much better idea.

It does have an option but you would have to jailbreak first and download the patch. It will get activated upon reboot after which one is legible to tether outside the US. I have used other phones with 3rd and 5th gen OS of symbian S60 platform and I get great tethering.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Was this using an AT&T SIM or a non-AT&T SIM? I would imagine this would to happen with AT&T SIMs, since that's happened to my iPhones before with the unmodified carrier bundles: having the tethering option show up temporarily then go away before I could use it.

I wonder if a T-Mobile or other non-AT&T SIM would enable these tethering settings. It sounds like it should be a carrier based option, just like it is on the iPhones.

I bet this can be 'fixed' by SHAtter and a decent CommCenter and/or carrier bundle patch.
    It was with an AT&T sim... I'm sure someone much smarter than myself will be able to jb 4.2 and find out where the code is for determining location or find a way to spoof the sim card. Personally, I prefer just paying for 1 data plan for my iPhone and using MyWi- AT&T and Apple can suck on that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12