+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 7" Streak: Another Mini-Tablet Challenges iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Following on the releases of the 7-inch Galaxy Tab and PlayBook "mini-iPads," Dell is apparently ready to ship a 7-inch version of its Streak tablet. The president of Dell's Greater
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 7" Streak: Another Mini-Tablet Challenges iPad

Following on the releases of the 7-inch Galaxy Tab and PlayBook "mini-iPads," Dell is apparently ready to ship a 7-inch version of its Streak tablet. The president of Dell's Greater China division said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal that the Streak will be available "very, very soon." The larger tablet was briefly shown off by company CEO Michael Dell at an Oracle conference last week.

The 5-inch Dell Streak was launched last month, and is basically a large GSM cell phone running Android 1.6. The size of the screen and outdated OS has been a hindrance to its acceptance as a true tablet, but Dell led with the device as it worked on larger variants. Dell Greater China President Amit Midha says that the 7-inch tablet which "was showed off at Oracle World by Michael [Dell] last week" will be "launching very, very soon—within the next few weeks." He also said that a 3-inch micro-mini-tablet would be out "very much in the near future," and that a 10-inch tablet will launch in six to twelve months. The 10-inch device is the first announced product in the iPad's form factor, and is hotly anticipated.

Midha said that the 7-inch tablet will run Android - though he was not specific about which version - and that some future, unnamed Dell tablets would be able to run Windows. No price was announced, but the 5-inch model costs $299 US with a two-year AT&T contract, and $549 outright, so it's going to be well above that price point. In addition to the 3, 5, 7, and 10-inch models, Midha indicated that a 4-inch version would one day be available as well.

Source: AppleInsider, image via Reuters

Thanks

Begun the tablet wars has....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

lame...if we can expect a carrier contract with a 7 inch phone anyway. The streak is already in iPad price range without contract... common people, they are tablets... not phones... price them accordingly WITHOUT a carrier contract!
    Really?

Thanks

+1^^^^^Exactly!

Plus, The majority of applications are not designed to scale properly on tablet's running the Android 2.2 Froyo's OS because of the form factor.
    Last edited by reddawg; 09-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Thanks

Haha, hopefully this will bring down iPads prices

{ even tho I already have one }
    "We don't need bullets, We need Pie's"

Green Apple
    Thanks

stop lying. this ain't to compete with the ipda. to compete, the device must at least have similar specs if not better specs. this is just a tablet as a tablet. stop saying every new tablet out there is made to compete with the ipad. now that it's known that people will buy tablets, companies are making them now. in different flavors.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snap1500 View Post
    stop lying. this ain't to compete with the ipda. to compete, the device must at least have similar specs if not better specs. this is just a tablet as a tablet. stop saying every new tablet out there is made to compete with the ipad. now that it's known that people will buy tablets, companies are making them now. in different flavors.
    I agree. This is supposed to be Apple news, not competetors with apple that will miserably fail news. >

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    Begun the tablet wars has....
    best first comment everrr!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The price point really has me down. At that price there is no competition... no matter what.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I'd take a 7 or 10" if it was phone as well
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

Thanks

Make the screen 7 inches if you want, it's still too small and still has an outdated OS

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    The price point really has me down. At that price there is no competition... no matter what.
    yep. i dont want to spend $500 for a tablet. that's about the same for a nice laptop.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The iPhone is a little too small for my needs and the iPad a little too big, give me a 7 inch idevice with reterna display, front camera and GPS, any one who's ever used an idevice will know how intuitive the UI is and that no other touch screen device has even come close to the experience you get from the apple line.

apples competitors will catch up eventually, but not for a good few years and until then I will stick with what I know, thanks for the post but I won't be buying

Thanks

No competition. No iPad killer.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Sad... I was hoping for some real competition. The screen is too small, os is crying for a little help. Oh well looks like the innovative field is stuck on status quo and "ikillers". How about a "new invention" like what the iPhone did a few yrs back.

Thanks

Wait.. so this isn't the ipad jailbreak? Dammit, I always get confused with these titles.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    Yes it was!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Seeing how it would cost me $549 because I'm not coughing up for a 2nd data plan when I have one on my iPhone4. I rather just have a wifi only version and tether to my jailbroke phone via MyWi

I'd just buy the Wifi only iPad. Not an Apple fan boy but I'm sure the iPad would resale better if I decided to sell it

I would like to have a 7" tablet so I guess I'm in the minority. At work I have a desktop and a laptop that I do most of my work and take home, I have a netbook when I have to travel and it gets the most use for watching a movie on the plane. I'd be more than happy to leave them at home and carry a 7" tablet. I could get by with my iPhone4 which has VPN,Email, RDP, 5250 client,netflix and some videos. When I travel for work it's either for a Symposium, National Meeting or training. I'm in IT so basically I call these free vacations. All I need connectivity for is if I need to make a change on the system back at the office. Otherwise I'm going out on the town
    Last edited by Daps; 09-29-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    I agree, ROFL!!
    -Mr. 318!!-

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just wondering,why doesnt anyone ever make one with dual boot Windows Seven (or whatever mobile platform microsoft uses) with Linux, Android and maybe a cracked version of the Ios by choice of the user
    Still Confused