Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RIM Reveals its BlackBerry PlayBook with Some "Flash"

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default RIM Reveals its BlackBerry PlayBook with Some "Flash"

As we reported last week, RIM - makers of the BlackBerry smartphone - have unveiled this week their long awaited answer to the iPad. Research in Motion was initially expected to call the 7-inch multi-touch tablet a "BlackPad." But on Monday, Mike Lazardis, president and co-CEO of RIM, unveiled the BlackBerry "PlayBook," which clearly takes aim at the Apple product that, until now, has largely dominated the tablet marketplace without a legitimate competitor.

"RIM set out to engineer the best professional-grade tablet in the industry with cutting-edge hardware features and one of the world's most robust and flexible operating systems," said Lazardis. "The BlackBerry PlayBook solidly hits the mark with industry leading power, true multitasking, uncompromised Web browsing and high performance multimedia."

Much like the BlackBerry smartphone, the BlackBerry tablet is all about "business," as the device will be heavily marketed to the corporate and business community. Among a multitude of attributes, it comes with a 1GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, and two HD cameras. It will be 9.7mm thick and sport both HDMI and USB ports. Perhaps best of all for digital media junkies, the tablet offers 1080p resolution video playback.

Interestingly enough, Shantanu Narayen, the chief executive of Adobe, joined Lazaridis for the roll out of the "Playbook." Why? You guessed it. The device will be compatible and friendly toward Adobe’s Flash software - something we all know Apple and its products are not.

Initially, the PlayBook won't deliver integrated 3G or 4G data connectivity, although that will eventually change. For now, PlayBook users can enjoy their device over Wi-Fi or via connection with a BlackBerry smartphone. Unfortunately, despite initial reports of the RIM tablet being released before Christmas, the holiday season will not see the "PlayBook." Instead, the company won't roll out the tablet to retail outlets in the US until "early 2011."

RIM
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 09-27-2010 at 09:16 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (09-28-2010)

I like the specs. Though still an iPhone fan I find the playbook intriguing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotix For This Useful Post:

SirTimothy1 (09-28-2010)

Gotta love competition

I think Apple execs even know by now, without flash, Apple won't be able to compete with all this pretty legit competition

This is impressive. Might actually consider buying this, OH WAIT, no this comes out spring 2011, therefore the iPad2 will already be out, & it'll be probably be Kickass!!

Apples always a step ahead ;D

I'd like to know what the Megapixels are on the cameras, so far this is the best tablet I've seen so far, it simply only comes down to what the public will say when it's released, who knows, even with better specs and all around better tablet, the iPad my triumph over this because of things such as the AppStore and the logo branded on the back of it

i think this thing is sweet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    I think Apple execs even know by now, without flash, Apple won't be able to compete with all this pretty legit competition
    Well so far apple has been doing just fine without flash. Every device that has flash on it has been reported to be buggy, crashes, and drains battery. And also everything is being updated for HTML5 so I think apple knows just what they are doing. Flash is just trouble.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Antman217 For This Useful Post:

trolius (09-27-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Didnt like the video but, the specs are quite impressive, not sure what the operative system was, its android or rim very own?
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Typical RIM, good tech specs but uninspired OS
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

7 inch is too small - when talking about tablet pc's...

Everything looks like and iPhone/iPod/iPad nowadays
    Rampage
    Back To The Basics

lol for jailbreaking just simply get frash its that simple and apple has been doing fine without flash.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Playbook, better have playboy on it.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeykongking;
    I'd like to know what the Megapixels are on the cameras, so far this is the best tablet I've seen so far, it simply only comes down to what the public will say when it's released, who knows, even with better specs and all around better tablet, the iPad my triumph over this because of things such as the AppStore and the logo branded on the back of it
    5MP camera on the back 3MP camera on the front. Both record HD video.

Thanks
    I imagine this tablet is going to be way too expensive.
    Don't be hatin'.

Hopefully this, the galaxy tab, and the palmpad will pressure apple into releasing the ipad 2 with specs that actually match up to the competition. Id love to see the dual core and 1 gb of ram. Even if they dont make it 7 inches make the DAMN THING LIGHtER!! I cant hold me ipad in one hand.

I believe the res of the balckberry playbook is the same 1024x768 on its 7 in screen that the ipad has on a 9.8 in screen.
    So if apple does make a 7 in w/ this res it would be the same res and therefore all ipad apps would be the right size but look much sharper.

1080p video playback!! Awesome! on a 10 in screen ipad only has 720p video playback. Movies would look sexier than every. Blackberry I love you and you device but what I love most about it is that itll get me a better ipad upgrade in march/april (:
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 09-27-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Exclamation Thank GOD!
    FINALLY SOMEBODY GOT IT RIGHT!!!

We live in a Multi-Core world! A puny 1GHz processor doesn't cut it. Now a Dual Core 1GHz processor on the other hand changes things drastically!!!

Another thing I really like is I think the simplest of all which Apple ALWAYS neglects, a simple USB-port. Makes your life so much easier. No need for "a dock" if you're not "home" for you to connect this with a Mac or PC. Just back to basics.

2 reasons I would buy it (even thou I won't) are:
    1.) Dual Core 1 GHz processor
    2.) 1 Gigabyte of RAM

HDMI port is really neat.
    I don't really mind the 1080P cause your eyes can barely tell the difference anyways.

1 thing I really don't agree with is that this is suppose to be "a strictly, the first real business touch pad" yet it was called "PlayBook". I mean, come on!

How "serious" and "business like" are you when showing something called "a PlayBook"?
    Last edited by Devilish4eveR; 09-27-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Thanks

These specs are bad@$$! If apple doesn't match them, I'll most likely grab this one. I've been awaiting the 2nd gen iPad in hopes of specs similar to the playbook's.

Quote Originally Posted by nautical79 View Post
    Didnt like the video but, the specs are quite impressive, not sure what the operative system was, its android or rim very own?
    It's OS is QNX. A company's OS that RIM bought out last year. (Bought the company altogether)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    I believe the res of the balckberry playbook is the same 1024x768 on its 7 in screen that the ipad has on a 9.8 in screen.
    It's resolution is 1024 x 600.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    FINALLY SOMEBODY GOT IT RIGHT!!!

We live in a Multi-Core world! A puny 1GHz processor doesn't cut it. Now a Dual Core 1GHz processor on the other hand changes things drastically!!!
    Agreed but multi-core is not needed at the moment. What have you tried that the A4 couldn't handle? Right now there is nothing really to push the hardware just yet. So this is time they can use to figure out better battery life. I totally agree but at the moment the world is not ready.
    Last edited by Cer0; 09-27-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast