Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RIM Reveals its BlackBerry PlayBook with Some "Flash"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    PlayBook for the business environment will be a plus. Security will not be an issue if it's also managed by the BES. Well done RIM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

WOW IT LOOKS GOOD!! "iPad killer"? haha

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

It does look good. Wonder how app support for it will be

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    I think Apple execs even know by now, without flash, Apple won't be able to compete with all this pretty legit competition
    Yeah we can't live without 15 year old, bloated buggy technology can we...?!!

The specs have to bumped up to the max to operate flash.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 09-28-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default it's not out yet
    Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Anyone who says this doesn't look better than the iPad has been brainwashed by Apple. Tablets are not supposed to be, as Gizmodo once said, blown-up cell phones or shrunken-down PCs. They are supposed to be their own devices. And this is EXACTLY what this is. And it looks GOOD.

Go RIM!
    Interest comments, for a product that DOES NOT exist in the market yet! I thought we we've learned a thing or two about that kind of PR stunt with M$/HP Courrier/Slate fiasco.

About RIMs tablet, all I have to say is:

1) The specs seems to be nice, but NOTHING was said about that beast battery life, which is not only THE most important thing to consider in a portable, but it's also the factor that sometimes holds makers back on specs. The lack of 3G gives a hint about how you'll have to power that thing constantly to be able work with it;

2) People who says that iPad lacks things like USB/HDMI ports ignore the fact that Apple portables will be all about going wireless(see airplay, wi-fi print, etc.). The only cable that remains probably will last only to charge;

3) IMHO, iOS plays a big part in the success Apple portable experimented so far(no wonder everybody is copying it). We will have to wait to see if RIMs OS choice for that table holds a candle to it;

4) It's at least an odd decision to name a so called "professional" tablet a "playbook"
    Last edited by fishbone; 09-28-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Those are some pretty impressive specs.

I also like the fact that it's a wifi only model and not tying you to a carrier. I rather just tether my iphone.

The concerns though would be price. $300 ballpark is what I'm looking for and wish Apple would get down to that range or $350.I'd even take it in 8" or 8.5" screen. I personally couldn't justify paying any more than that.

One problem I see may be the application side. App Store and Android Market Place are pretty big.

Also I think a 2011 release may hurt them. They're missing the Christmas sales and also I'm pretty sure iPad2 will be announced by then.

I'll keep my eye out for this one

meh. Looks a little chunky and I would imagine a dismal battery life with that processor. But who knows. I'd also like to see a real-world demo... not the artificial one. They had the same sort of thing with the Storm and it turned out to be a slow, buggy POS
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    What have you tried that the A4 couldn't handle? .
    Decode and play 1080p video. A4 can't do that, well I presume it can't as if it could I am sure it would have been enabled in the AppleTV.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob_Quads For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (09-28-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks very nice and well put together, hopefully it's better than the crapPad (iPad for those of you who haven't caught on yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Quads View Post
    Decode and play 1080p video. A4 can't do that, well I presume it can't as if it could I am sure it would have been enabled in the AppleTV.
    Straight up right dude!
    This looks much nicer then the iPad that being one of the HUGE reason
    Last edited by coolguy742; 09-28-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

All this does is makes me more excited for the iPad2.
    You know apple isn't going to allow anyone to get ahead of them!

Thanks

As apple fans, we are tied to iTunes with all our media and the playbook may not be so easy to sync media. So, my point is we have iTunes with the iPad.

From reading about it, it's not going to use the RIM OS they use on their BlackBerry so that may be a plus.

Battery life will be a concern,I could live with 6 hrs of watching video or web surfing time more would be better.

It's version of the app store is going to also tell the tale on if it makes it or not. If no one develops for it I don't see it being a strong contender.

Last. It's going to have to be priced right $300-350 is my price bracket but sub $400 would definite make it an eyebrow raiser if the apps and battery life are there.

Oh and forgot. It's gotta be able to support Netflix :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

nice to see the competition pushing apple to make a better iPad hopefully they will stop holding out on us.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    Yeah we can't live without 15 year old, bloated buggy technology can we...?!!

The specs have to bumped up to the max to operate flash.
    And you think touch screen is newer then flash?
    Buddy touch screens have been around 20years before I was born. I'm 18.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeykongking View Post
    I'd like to know what the Megapixels are on the cameras, so far this is the best tablet I've seen so far, it simply only comes down to what the public will say when it's released, who knows, even with better specs and all around better tablet, the iPad my triumph over this because of things such as the AppStore and the logo branded on the back of it
    3.0 mgpxl for the front and 5.0 for the back!

The Specs are Great ! But will it compete with 10 hours of iPad Time and their Support from Cydia and the AppStore? I Think Not !

I just watched the hands on video on youtube of the actually device, well I wouldn't call it hands on as it looked like it was in a plexiglass case but I have to say it looked very nice it only showed a video. I'm interested in seeing the UI and what kind of app support it will have.

I'll be glad when there can be more of a side by side comparison.

If they get good app support for it RIM may have a winner on their hands, they'll have to price it right also and battery life is above decent.

The new ipad will probably be out this spring. Hopefully they can get that price down some.

I do like that the ipad has a wifi only version and playbook does too. I'm already paying a data plan for my iphone and have wifi at home. I don't want to add another plan unless it's pay as you go. Nor do I want them to act as a phone.

ETA: I just saw the picture of RIM CEO holding the device. From the photo the size in his hand seems to be pretty good.
    Last edited by Daps; 09-28-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Finally...a true competitor!! I'm really liking this playbook!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Quads View Post
    People need to do their homework when it comes to the actual visual difference between 720 and 1080. Read the following article to educate yourself and you will realize that 99.9% of users do not have the knowledge, ability, or care enough to obtain the correct variables required to actually SEE 1080 quality.

720p vs 1080p

iPhone? More like MyPhone gsmumbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    People need to do their homework when it comes to the actual visual difference between 720 and 1080. Read the following article to educate yourself and you will realize that 99.9% of users do not have the knowledge, ability, or care enough to obtain the correct variables required to actually SEE 1080 quality.

720p vs 1080p
    Seriously, if the peoples inability to notice a change is reason enough to not do something we would never see progress on anything. Some people can notice it, some can't. Those that can't will eventually start to notice it when presented with 1080 more and more. Going back to 720 they will at some point begin to notice the change.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast