+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dual-Dock iPad, New Mag-Safe Drawings Found

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Recently released Apple industrial designs registered in China show a new iPad design with dual dock connectors and what appears to be a front-facing camera. Jack Purcher at Patently Apple
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Dual-Dock iPad, New Mag-Safe Drawings Found

Recently released Apple industrial designs registered in China show a new iPad design with dual dock connectors and what appears to be a front-facing camera. Jack Purcher at Patently Apple, who spends a lot of time combing through the databases for new stuff, turned up those designs along with a drawing of an iPad with what appears to be a front-facing camera. There's some debate over whether the drawing just shows the iPad's light sensor, but Purcher is confident that it's a camera. Also, when I looked at the Hong Kong site, I found a drawing for a MagSafe connector that makes a right angle, so the cable won't always be sticking out. Pretty mundane, but handy.

The Intellectual Property Department of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - effectively the patent office for the People's Republic of China - officially published a series of registered Apple industrial designs that were approved on September 24th. One of the design drawings [pdf] shows two dock connectors on the iPad, which would allow the device to sit in a vertical dock in either portrait or landscape mode. The current iPad, of course, has only a single dock connector located on the bottom. The second iPad dock connectors would make it easier to dock the device in landscape mode for a more conventional orientation when using an external keyboard. Apple also registered a design for such an external keyboard dock that looks pretty much exactly like the currently shipping accessory, as well as for the iPad Camera Connection Kit.

This and another one of the drawings [pdf] shows a small circle near the top of the screen, which Purcher is identifying as a front-facing camera for use with FaceTime. There has been some debate following his post, as the circle is located exactly where the light sensor is on the current iPad. However, Purcher, who doesn't own an iPad, went down to an Apple Store to look at the light sensor and says he doesn't buy that explanation. "Are you kidding me?" he wrote. "You need a magnifying glass to see the damn thing."

Something Purcher didn't mention in his report is this cool drawing [pdf] of a "magnetic connector" that's at right angles to the cable. The pins look just like a MagSafe connector, so this appears to be a new design for the MacBook and not the iPad. If you're sick of the power cord sticking out from the side of your laptop, Apple appears to have come up with a solution. The new design should be really handy for when you are working on a small surface, and looks like it'll be less easy to inadvertently disconnect.

Source: MacRumors
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-26-2010 at 10:22 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Dual dock???

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

im so sick and tired of these stupid patents of apple just make the dam product already

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vruls For This Useful Post:

Ivel (09-26-2010), UiK (09-26-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

So then what would happen if you conected two dock connector's simultaneously? Nevertheless, that is genius. I had never even thought of that but it seems like such an obvious addition to the iPad. No Doubt that there will be a front facing camera on the new iPad as well. If this is the new iPad Design then I will definitely be looking forward to it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post
    Something Purcher didn't mention in his report is this cool drawing [pdf] of a "magnetic connector" that's at right angles to the cable.
    i thought new macbooks already came with a right angle magsafe connector?
    Last edited by katmeef; 09-26-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks

Lol, with all these rumors, most of them are, incredibly, late to the party.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That connector looks amazing! In fact, it looks like the exact same one I'm using right now.

/facepalm

MMi you fail.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mohaas05 For This Useful Post:

bmxer55 (09-26-2010)

Thanks

Good I hope they use that design. It's so annoying that I can't put my iPad in my dock and watching movies in landscape mode!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

very good to see new features for the next one.

Thanks

I don't get what the second would be for

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    very good to see new features for the next one.
    Of course there's gonna be new features, because then it would just be the old on
    Last edited by whereswaldo; 09-26-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vruls View Post
    im so sick and tired of these stupid patents of apple just make the dam product already
    well you see the problem is that if they dont patent the idea someone else can make it in there model at the same time that they make it and they want o be the exclusive carriers of the stupid 30 pin connector for stereos and other idevice toys

Green Apple
    Thanks

appple has been using that magsafe connector here in austria at least for a year now!

Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter (Apple Netzteil MagSafe mit 85 Watt) (für MacBook Pro) - Apple Store (Österreich)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mohaas05 View Post
    That connector looks amazing! In fact, it looks like the exact same one I'm using right now.

/facepalm

MMi you fail.
    Good, I'm not the only one looking at those drawings, and looking at the side of my computer, and trying to figure out what is so different about that drawing compared to the MagSafe connector hooked to my laptop

Thanks

Holy crap, How many more patents until a new product Apple :/
    Last edited by Be Expressive; 09-26-2010 at 01:45 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

The connector is nothing new but not sure I would want that because it would throw off being able to carry just one cord for your iPhone iPad and iPod. Now you wood need another cable
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vruls View Post
    You must not be aware that you need to file a patent for new styling/technology for new products prior to release so that no one can copy/reproduce the same unique characteristics that apple is known for in a competitors product? The idea of patents goes way back in history. In fact, every product you use and enjoy had to file patents prior to production and release. Not to mention Albert Einstein was a patent clerk before he gained his recognition for revolutionizing science.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post
    Ok, lets stop, take a deep breath and take a look at the iPad that exists right now and the iPad featured in the image.
    1. The rectangular hole on the side is likely the SIM card slot which is already prevalent in 3G iPad models,
    2. The small circle near the top is likely the brightness sensor that the iPad uses to detect whether it should adjust screen brightness for different environments.

These are rumors. Rumors rumors rumors. Unfounded ones, as well. The interesting items listed in the diagram already exist in the present model of iPad.

Wake me when Apple wises-up and adds speakers to the left side of the iPad bottom (like they should have from the beginning ) or a patent explicitly shows a pen-like input device working with the iPad. Zzz.

Thanks

I am so tired of this **** I have been watching this forum for years, and apple has patented 4832434793 ideas, functions and parts, Modmyi has reported on all of them, 50 of them have been in actual products! APPLE is just trying to own every technological Idea EVER. I am surprised they dont have cydia and jailbreaks copywritten. You don't see blackberry putting patents on crazy hovering static electric scroll balls lol.

I dunno, I just don't believe this stuff any more. I am in advertising and I always recommend my clients, focus on what you CAN and WILL do and do that BEST, instead of spreading yourself too thin. ( apple TV, macbook air, iphone 4 etc)

Just My Opinion

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The idea of the two dock connectors is kind of dumb, you only need one or the other... but this new iPad better have a camera or it will be ***

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I never understood why they don't just make the keyboard dock without the pin connector and just have it link to the iPad via bluetooth. Doing this would completely resolve the issue of only being able to use the dock with the iPad in portrait mode.