Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad vs. Galaxy Tab

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad vs. Galaxy Tab
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbsmHMAhrQ[/ame]

Samsung has released a (boring, but informative) video showing someone putting the new Galaxy Tab through its paces. The video shows the still-unavailable tablet running various apps (though none that exhibit the scaling problem that make many apps look terrible on the tablet). The latest competitor to take on the iPad still has no US street price or delivery date, though it is expected to be available from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon in the next couple of months. Estimated prices for the device have been all over the map, with guesses of anywhere from $200 to $1000.

So how does this supposed "iPad killer" compare? Well, for one thing, the Galaxy Tab is smaller and lighter, though reports of a future 10-inch model persist. Its Hummingbird Cortex-A8 CPU has the same clockspeed as the iPad's A4, but the Galaxy Tab has twice the RAM at 512MB. The Galaxy Pad also has the option of expanded storage through a microSD slot that can accept flash cards up to 32GB.

The Galaxy Tab also has two cameras - a 3.2-megapixel camera with a flash on the back and a front-facing 1.3-megapixel one - while the current models of the iPad, of course, have none. Samsung claims up to 7 hours of battery life playing videos on the Galaxy Tab; Apple says the iPad can last up to 10 hours.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of features:

CPU
    iPad 1GHz Apple A4
    Galaxy Tab: 1 GHz Cortex-A8
    Storage
    iPad: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
    Galaxy Tab: 16GB, 32GB, expandable to 64GB with microSD card
    Screen
    iPad: 9.7" IPS LCD at 1024 x 768
    Galaxy Tab: 7" TFT LCD WSVGA at 1024 x 600 resolution
    Networking
    iPad: WiFi, optional 3G
    Galaxy Tab: WiFi and 3G
    Carriers
    iPad: AT&T
    Galaxy Tab: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Data Plan Price
    iPad: $15 or $25/month
    Galaxy Tab: unknown
    Camera
    iPad: n/a
    Galaxy Tab: 3 megapixel on back, 1.3 megapixel on front
    Sensors
    iPad: proximity, light, accelerometer, compass
    Galaxy Tab: proximity, light, accelerometer
    Size
    iPad: 7.47 x 9.56 x 0.5"
    Galaxy Tab: 4.7 x 7.48 x 0.47"
    Weight
    iPad:: 1.5 lb
    Galaxy Tab: 0.84 lb
    Price
    iPad: US$499 - $829
    Galaxy Tab: unknown

So it's almost certainly the most fully-featured tablet to date. Price is going to make a big difference for some people… if it's significantly cheaper than the iPad, it could counter the smaller screen and the fugly apps. And not having to play by Apple's rules - as well as the absence of a cat-and-mouse game when it comes to rooting Android - will continue to draw app developers. The upside for iPad aficionados, of course, is a cheap Galaxy Pad that sells well will put downward pressure on iPad prices.

Source: CrunchGear
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-24-2010 at 12:45 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

redwolf (09-24-2010)

Thanks

lol any one see the phone part ?
    Bill Jobs

From this video, this doesn't look like a bad device at all. It seems to be able to hold it's own and will definitely be in more of a reach financially for those that want to spend less then the current pricing for an ipad. I know personally, I still want an ipad but I may wait until a newer version (with a camera) comes out. It's done for the ipod touch 4G, so it's only a matter of time for the ipad.

@ MPS3 - Yes, I did watch the phone portion. That is pretty cool. I also like the viewing of the email app and the calender too.
    Though we all look different on the outside, we all bleed the same on the inside

Too bad there won't be any unlimited data plans available for this. One of the biggest wins for me with my iPad is that I am grandfathered in with unlimited data.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

It has captured my interest. I have an iPad and though I'm pleased with it I would still grab the new Galaxy Tab. I wonder how much of an upgrade will the new iPad be but knowing Apple they give you just enough to make you want to buy a newer version but not also make you anticipate on a newer release the following year. Knowing myself, I'll most likely just get them all.

Looks decent enough but I'd definitely not give up my iPad for one, prefer a bigger screen.
    I have Kleptomania, when it gets bad I take something for it...

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont think they could have ripped off the iPad anymore than they did. Slide to unlock, same homescreen appearance..
    Add me up on xbox live gamertag clikzip.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    lol any one see the phone part ?
    Bill Jobs
    Lol, never noticed that until now, pretty funny, wonder if he meant to tap that? Also noticed it has both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in the address book.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

As far as phones go, the iPhone is the one for me. But when we start talking about computers (and the iPad is a laptop/netbook replacement - no matter what anyone says - which makes it a computer) I simply will not tolerate the restrictions that Apple puts on the iOS.

With the keyboard, this looks like a tablet that I would buy given these requirements-
    1. Price of about $200
    2. The microSD slot allows for install of 3rd party applications
    3. We are given complete freedom within the OS - I believe that is a given
    4. Option to go with no contract and no 3G. I have a phone for that... why do I need another 3G device? Can you say tether?

If the above 4 concerns are addressed then I am in - if and when I need a new laptop.

tim

ps: I like the original Android icons/UI much better than the new stuff on froyo or HTC's custom versions of Android - yuck! So keep the layout in the screenie. But if not... I am sure there is a theme to revert back.
    Last edited by klouud; 09-24-2010 at 01:26 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

im impressesd enough to pick one up, Apple def needs to upgrade the Ipad, they dont see this because people are buying the heck out of these devices, hopefully pressure will keep on Apple to make them release something better and quit sandbagging the technology they really have to put into these iDevices. STEP IT UP APPLE THIS IS GETTING FRUSTRATING

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

But what about the battery life?

It looks cool. I don't know how many ways you can make stuff the same but look different. I thought it looked pretty cool but we'll decide that when the price comes out.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I don't want to carry around a 7" phone... and a 7" tablet screen is too small for decent games, document viewing, web browsing. I'll take pictures with my phone... don't need my iPad to do that... can you see someone taking a tour of a city carrying around a tablet device for taking pictures? Awkward. The hardware specs are comparable... you'd think they would have tried to trump the iPad instead of just match up side by side (except the RAM of course). Like Paul said; however, the video leaves out the fact that it does not have a nice native resolution which causes most apps to scale and look funny.

Next...

Lol my iPhone 4 is better than all of dat haha eff yeah

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    dude, that touch screen is choppy and unresponsive as ****. Reminds me of having sex with my Ex. Unimpressive.

Thanks

Re: Disenchanted

That's my thought. One of the biggest draws of the iPad is the amount of real estate on it. This thing is too close in size to the iPhone to be of any real use. If it were a little larger then the size difference would push push it further away from over-sized phone to legitimate tablet in size.

I'm paying to see they stick to that 7 hours battery life statement when someone fire up that flash player processor hog on this thing... but anyway, all in all, it's seems like a nice implemented iPad rip off. I hope it lives long enough to cause some buzz before Apple sues their asses to the ground :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

wow, looks and acts like something I have seen before...oh yes, they must of had an iPad around. I like the video conference so the next iPad will have that for sure.
    Rippey
    iOS 4.0 3Gs 32GB on the lamb
    Still has nice things on it, pictures too

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

On a larger tablet such as the iPad the thick boarders around the screen make sense, but on something you can hold in the palm of your hand they are a bit too big. Reduce the boards and increase the screen size. Overall it does seem like a fairly decent competitor as long as the price is right.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

It looks about the size of the mot droid... Lol. More like a competitor of the iPod not iPad. Small is good but I think Apple killed it with the 10" and iPhone size as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clikzip View Post
    i dont think they could have ripped off the iPad anymore than they did. Slide to unlock, same homescreen appearance..
    you sir, are an absolute idiot. That is the android operating system, its on every phone android phone almost looking the same as that tablet. So are you saying that EVERY android phone is a copy of the ipad??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast