+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad vs. Galaxy Tab

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Lol I remember everyone complaining that the iPad was a big iPod touch... well look at this thing it's a big android phone! It looks exactly like my uncles mytouch
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol I remember everyone complaining that the iPad was a big iPod touch... well look at this thing it's a big android phone! It looks exactly like my uncles mytouch 3G! But it does look interesting but it's just the same as the iPad except with android os, smaller, and two crappy cameras... not that great to me I would get the iPad because of the bigger screen, longer battery, and I already got used to iOS but I'm just gonna wait till the new iPad comes out or just save money and stick to my OS X running MacBook lol.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I don't like at all how when you turn orientation it flashes the screen rather than a smooth rolling transition. The video on the conference call looked horribly choppy. Some of the touch actions looked rather delayed compared to iOS. I fear as stated above that the battery life is going to suck big time. Apple advertised 10 hours and was tested at 10 hours or MORE in some cases. This thing is going to over promise and under deliver especially when it comes to video playback and God forbid if you actually use flash. The fact that it doesn't have a 10" screen means it doesn't have space for a massive battery like the iPad either. The more I analyze the more I think it falls short.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

No thanks, I'll stick with my iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy17 View Post
    you sir, are an absolute idiot. That is the android operating system, its on every phone android phone almost looking the same as that tablet. So are you saying that EVERY android phone is a copy of the ipad??
    Hmmmm. So, it's a port of the Android phone OS, which itself is trying as hard as it can to be like the iPhone, which of course the iPad OS is built upon.

Doesn't sound like his statement was horribly off the mark at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

The Touch Screen is not all that good the responsive suck as% and is a little slow and sloppy even with 1Ghz CPU. The iPad is way better, the only thing I need on my iPad is front Camera to do FaceTime or some form of video chatting. I don't needed to take any picture that is why I have my iPhone and my Profecional Camera that takes real good pictures not like some crappy camera.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ya know... Android for phones/tablets is like Windows is for PC's.... Same OS across a multitude of hardware platforms and manufactures. As we can see from the PC industry the hardware is getting cheap and nasty and the OS (Windows) is a resource hog filled with bloatware. The reason Apple can charge a premium price is because they don't sacrifice hardware or software and the fact they it's a closed system in which they control /every/ aspect of integration can actually be considered a BENEFIT for the end user... not something to complain about.

How many people who know absolutely nothing about programing complain about Apple being restrictive vs Android be "open". If you're not a Dev then why should you care?! From the user perspective we can see Android Market does not have superior apps or a better UI or user experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow I'm waiting for the 2g iPad, but seeing this vid, and wanting an android-based device... Hhmmmm I wonder which to get????

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I don't like at all how when you turn orientation it flashes the screen rather than a smooth rolling transition. The video on the conference call looked horribly choppy. Some of the touch actions looked rather delayed compared to iOS. I fear as stated above that the battery life is going to suck big time. Apple advertised 10 hours and was tested at 10 hours or MORE in some cases. This thing is going to over promise and under deliver especially when it comes to video playback and God forbid if you actually use flash. The fact that it doesn't have a 10" screen means it doesn't have space for a massive battery like the iPad either. The more I analyze the more I think it falls short.
    Ok I'm getting an iPad

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the french bum View Post
    dude, that touch screen is choppy and unresponsive as ****. Reminds me of having sex with my Ex. Unimpressive.
    that happen when you have a stylus instead of a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'll take pictures with my phone... don't need my iPad to do that... can you see someone taking a tour of a city carrying around a tablet device for taking pictures? Awkward.

Next...
    I'll will when the ipad get a camera for sure
    Last edited by nautical79; 09-24-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Thanks

Am I the only one that watches these type videos and thinks to themselves, if these other companies can have things like a camera why do I have to wait for the second gen iPad to have one. Apple had to know Facetime was coming. They have cameras on their phones. Not to mention a usb port to import pics from the iphone or other cameras, nope gotta spend another 30 dollars for that privilege. Why milk us every year with what should have already been there. I guess being the 6.1 billion dollar man isn't good enough.

Don't get me wrong I have everything Apple sells pretty much. Hell I have multiple copies of phones 1,2,3 and 4. I guess I answered my own paragraph. As long as there are fools like me. Why give people the obvious when you can get them to
    come back year after year. Would be nice just once to get it all in one year especially the stuff that's on their other products.

Thanks

Would have loved this, but only UK get telepony capabilities? I hope that is wrong. Even if US has the telephone antenna, but disabled, I am hoping there is an unlock for it, then tune the antenna to ATT specific bandwith, and pop in my ATT Sim with phone and data. Probably will not buy it otherwise. If the phone works good, I will be happy to retire my iphone, for a while anyways.
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

1st. The functionality is there, the application variety looks superb, and overall it looks very polished.

2nd. The iPad screen is a comfortable 9.7". It's like reading a hardcover large font book. Reading on this device is more akin to reading a small paperback.

3rd. The form factor is terrible. Take a DVD case and hold it in your hand, thumb on one side and fingers on the other. Not very comfortable, aye?

4th. From what I've seen regarding pricing in countries where this won't be subsidized, this thing will be approximately more 25% more than a comparably equipped iPad. That's with an iPad 16GB 3G vs Galaxy pad 16GB 3G.

5th. Stateside this device will only be sold (as far as I know) on a two year contract. It may seem cheaper than an iPad up front, but over two years that adds up to about three times the price of an iPad. It's one thing to do that with a phone, but no doubt anyone who is interested in buying one of these already has a smartphone with a data plan. If you like paying twice for everything maybe you can throw some cash my way.

6. Lastly, and this more about Swype than this product, but I think we can all agree that hand model must have been practicing that swiping gesture for a good 5-6 hours to have written "Samsung Galaxy" so quickly. That was just ridiculous.

-my 2 cents.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    Hmmmm. So, it's a port of the Android phone OS, which itself is trying as hard as it can to be like the iPhone, which of course the iPad OS is built upon.

Doesn't sound like his statement was horribly off the mark at all.
    trying hard to look like the iphone?? are you kidding me? So because it has a slide to unlock and has icons on a homescreen? Wow...YEP!! EXACT COPY!!

And for the people saying the video conference looked choppy....let's see the vids of facetime. Same thing. Even sykpe on a broadband connection is choppy

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    1st. The functionality is there, the application variety looks superb, and overall it looks very polished.

2nd. The iPad screen is a comfortable 9.7". It's like reading a hardcover large font book. Reading on this device is more akin to reading a small paperback.

3rd. The form factor is terrible. Take a DVD case and hold it in your hand, thumb on one side and fingers on the other. Not very comfortable, aye?

4th. From what I've seen regarding pricing in countries where this won't be subsidized, this thing will be approximately more 25% more than a comparably equipped iPad. That's with an iPad 16GB 3G vs Galaxy pad 16GB 3G.

5th. Stateside this device will only be sold (as far as I know) on a two year contract. It may seem cheaper than an iPad up front, but over two years that adds up to about three times the price of an iPad. It's one thing to do that with a phone, but no doubt anyone who is interested in buying one of these already has a smartphone with a data plan. If you like paying twice for everything maybe you can throw some cash my way.

6. Lastly, and this more about Swype than this product, but I think we can all agree that hand model must have been practicing that swiping gesture for a good 5-6 hours to have written "Samsung Galaxy" so quickly. That was just ridiculous.

-my 2 cents.
    you have OBVIOUSLY never used swype....i too used to think like you, until i tried it. That is actually really slow for typing those 2 words. It is very easy to get used to, and takes maybe 5 minutes to type at the speed that person did. You don't have to be accurate at all, trust me.
    Last edited by Buddy17; 09-24-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

so, they did what apple did. great. except it's too small and too big. good luck typing on that keyboard.

Thanks

If theres a wifi-only version for under $400 it might make a nice ereader with color internet with the occasional watching of movies. I like the whole streaming to a bigger screen idea. I have an ipad and really wish I was actually able to hold the damn Thing in 1 hand. iPad 2 in april will blow this thing away. They basically stole everything from mail and ibooks app UI on ipad but some of the default apps are nice especially turn by turn google maps. Really sucks you cant get a wifi-only device with GPS so I can just use mywi 4 on my iphone to tether to my ipad.
    Crappy android market apps scaled up = 2X the crappiness. Enough said. Would be nice if there could be a galaxy tab/IPAD NATIVE RES PSX4Droid/psx4all... common zodd. How bout n64 while your (not) at it?

I hardly see it as ipad competition especially once ipad 2 comes. Really blows ipad only has 256 mbs of ram though because all the super awesome ipad games I play are simply too much for that amount of ram. Really hope to see 768mbs of ram in ipad 2. (HTC desire HD already has this).

I love widgets. Love smartscreen on ipad but wish it was on springboard. Guess I'll just wait for iOS 5 for widgets. Think about it.. app store-2.0 (installer, cydia, palm market) copy and paste-3.0 (blackberry, palm, android), multitasking, folders- 4.0 (android, blackberry, palm, cydia, ect.), widgets- 5.0 (android... jailbreaking). Apple will probably make a separate widget market just like the site for their failed mac os x widgets.

The only real ipad competition out theres gonna be that palmpad... that is if they even release a piece of hardware!!

Dont even get me started on the blackpad!

Thanks

Would love both an iPad and an Android tablet(Maybe Galaxy S Tab...) Android seems more tablet oriented IMHO. I'm really hoping that the next iteration of the iPad includes the following:

Front Facing Camera(the i4 5MP rear cam w/ LED flash would be nice but not a requirement)

Retina Display(Hopefully at a 1080p resolution vs the current 1024 x 768)

Bring out a Dual Core Cortex A9 based A5 running with at least a 1Ghz clock, preferably 1.2-1.5Ghz, with some CPU Throttling goodness to preserve battery life

Up the damn RAM, at least 512MB, but would really love to see better than that with all the mobile substrates that I use. Seriously why not put out an industry leading Gig considering how much Apple has driven down RAM pricing.

Those are my main hopes for the next iPad and honestly as much as I love iOS and Apples beautiful hardware that I have been using for more than 2 decades(NeXT too!) they really need to lead on the hardware performance front. They have managed to do so thus far with the i4, iPT4 and the iPad(which was announced way way[in tech terms] before the samsung tab, and has very comparable specs minus RAM + Ram) My i4 can push around 67MFlops max and averages around 40MFlops which beats/keeps up with the best android handsets available, probably at a clock less than 1Ghz, which is the android standard at the high end. Anyways let's hope Cupertino keeps their eye on the ball and delivers some high end sh*t!!!

Thanks

Wow, its like a smaller, ******** version of the iPad ....

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

1) It is almost DEFINITE in my opinion that the next iPad will have both a rear and front facing camera, Retina Display, 512 MB of RAM, and I see a very small possibility of a Dual Core Cortex A9 processor. To me it seems that Apple is trying to create a list of common standards for all of their iDevices. The iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G, and iPad 2G will have all of the same features as each other. And then it will make sense to me that the new iPhone 5, iPod 5G, and iPad 3G will have the same new features as each other (If there is any new feature on those that will go further than Processor and RAM upgrades).

2) I would honestly hate the Galaxy Tablet, It looks fully featured but I could still not stay away from the iPad. I do not own an iPad currently (I am waiting at least until FaceTime is added) but I would miss everything that comes with an iPad if I got a Galaxy tab- synchronization with iCal, Address Book, iTunes, Mail, iPods/iPhones, iMacs, MobileMe accounts, etc. Not even to mention the thousands of apps that are currently in the app store that will not be available with the Galaxy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy17 View Post
    trying hard to look like the iphone?? are you kidding me? So because it has a slide to unlock and has icons on a homescreen? Wow...YEP!! EXACT COPY!!

And for the people saying the video conference looked choppy....let's see the vids of facetime. Same thing. Even sykpe on a broadband connection is choppy

you have OBVIOUSLY never used swype....i too used to think like you, until i tried it. That is actually really slow for typing those 2 words. It is very easy to get used to, and takes maybe 5 minutes to type at the speed that person did. You don't have to be accurate at all, trust me.
    In that case, HOT DAMN! I've never tried swipe but now I'll have to.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

This will be an interesting device. But Android is not built fully for tablets yet. I thought even Google said that tablet devices are not being fully supported till 3.0 of Android.

Also agree with the wait and see what the battery estimate holds. Apple under shot the iPad and people see over 10 hours and close to 15 hours of playback. I am hoping this can do the same but as mentioned let's see if flash playback would effect the outside use. Optimization is key and Apple's OS is built for specific devices and Android has a wide variety of devices. I am sure companies tweak it and go through the code to optimize it but still iOS is built from the ground up for a specific hardware.

I also thought I saw that Samsung was removing the phone capabilities from the US versions.
    Last edited by Cer0; 09-24-2010 at 05:48 PM.