Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2G in Q1 2011: Display Manufacturers

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    New iPad: retina display, faster processor, Facetime (with high-res camera), bluetooth HFP and AVRCP (hopefully!! ) profiles, and 1GB of RAM and I'm f---ing sold. And if they added in a few USB slots and a super-accurate capactive-touch pen, I'd orgasm.

EDIT: And a back-facing high-res camera with flash would be pretty snazzy too.
    they should at least put a freaking MICRO sd card slot on there! But yes everything else you mentioned would be great too! Hell just 2 USB ports and a micro sd or reg sd card slot would be awesome!

Thanks

2011*

zomg typo
    EDM

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If they put a microSD card slot that would defeat the whole purpose of having more than one model... everyone would just buy the cheap 16GB model and throw a 32GB card in there... Apple wouldn't let that happen. USB slots... really? This is not OSX so it wouldn't recognize what to do with it... it has a 30pin dock connector instead like every other iDevice on the planet. Faster processor... nope... the A4 is their flagship chip at the moment. More RAM.. I can see a bump up to 512 even though it's not needed since it doesn't have a baseband system to maintain. HD display is possible but not likely until the 3rd version.

In reality this will be a very underwhelming update with most likely nothing more than an added front facing camera for FaceTime. They don't want to piss off all the current iPad customers who just bought one.

Thanks

Poseidon your comment makes the most sense out of everybody's. What's described sounds like the third iPad.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    More RAM.. I can see a bump up to 512 even though it's not needed since it doesn't have a baseband system to maintain. HD display is possible but not likely until the 3rd version.

In reality this will be a very underwhelming update with most likely nothing more than an added front facing camera for FaceTime. They don't want to piss off all the current iPad customers who just bought one.
    They don't need an update to 512 mb? I'd have to disagree with you on that one. There are some applications that I notice a considerable lag in and can watch the FreeMem in my status bar drop down below 5mb. Hell, even trying to open some textbooks in iBooks can cause horrible lag in the device. These issues were noticable even when I bought my 3.2.1 iPad before Star was released.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psilocybin View Post
    any specs or anything leaked? i just bought an ipad and this kinda pisses me off that its not even sold around the globe yet and they are already starting to manufacture the new ipad
    Apple gives you 30 day money back guarantee, just go return it as long as it looks new they should take it it's there policy. They even do it for MacBooks!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    The iPad is selling like hotcakes and some of you think they're going to throw away the annual refresh cycles they've consistently maintained for the last nine years for... what exactly? This holiday season is nothing special. Apple's been more consistent with their release schedules than any other tech company in the industry. Occasionally something goes wrong (e.g. white iPhone 4), but by and large that isn't the case. If the iPod Touch and iPhone have shown anything, it's that the screen sizes do NOT fluctuate, regardless of resolution bumps. Apple isn't at all worried about Android tablets, and no one is worried about RIM, webOS, or WinPhone7 tablets. There is no reason to modify their schedule, hence they won't.
    The white iPhone should come out about 1 month after the iPhone 4 with free case stops, Apple should be releasing an update iPhone with fixed antenna issue, this is why the white is delayed, why release the white one when there's problems with the current one?

Also a RUMOR that the iPhone 5 working on 4G LTE network, look at the picture, picture says release in the middle of next year, okay it won't let me upload the pic from my iPhone

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    They don't need an update to 512 mb? I'd have to disagree with you on that one. There are some applications that I notice a considerable lag in and can watch the FreeMem in my status bar drop down below 5mb. Hell, even trying to open some textbooks in iBooks can cause horrible lag in the device. These issues were noticable even when I bought my 3.2.1 iPad before Star was released.
    I'm curious.. How much free ram do you boot up with and exactly which apps cause such a drop? I have 100 or so apps on mine with a dozen mobile substrate plug ins and running high power apps never drops below 50MB.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Faster processor... nope... the A4 is their flagship chip at the moment. More RAM.. I can see a bump up to 512 even though it's not needed since it doesn't have a baseband system to maintain. HD display is possible but not likely until the 3rd version.
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with paganizonda83, Poseidon: you're dead wrong. More RAM is definitely a must, especially for those of us that want to multitask.. but even running just one app at a time there are times that apps will crash due to extremely high memory requirements.

On boot, I've never had more than 145MB of RAM to play with. Which is normal considering how much RAM Springboard and a couple other system processes eat.

Memory-intensive programs that (have) crash(ed):
    - Pulse (REGULARLY)
    - ArtStudio
    - PenUltimate (not often, but check out just how much RAM it eats)
    - GoodReader (semi-frequently)
    - Logmein (relatively few crashes though)
    - AudioNote
    - Safari, with several tabs open, depending on webpage content
    - NOVA a few times
    - Mail, oddly enough, uses a lot of memory depending on how many messages you let it display at one time
    - Acrobits Softphone / Groundwire

If you have an iPhone 4 and you've been enjoying real multitasking ala Backgrounder and Multifl0w, you've been spoiled with 512MB and you don't even know how bad it is for others. iPad definitely deserves 512MB. And if iPad is going to get a display resolution upgrade, it'll probably deserve a faster CPU as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with paganizonda83, Poseidon: you're dead wrong. More RAM is definitely a must, especially for those of us that want to multitask.. but even running just one app at a time there are times that apps will crash due to extremely high memory requirements.

On boot, I've never had more than 145MB of RAM to play with. Which is normal considering how much RAM Springboard and a couple other system processes eat.
    From what I can recall (I'm on 4.2 beta right now), my free ram on boot was roughly this level.

Thanks

I believe the current iPad needs the following: 1. Retina display(the only thing that separates a 3gs from a 4g) 2. More iPad only apps (tired of the dual apps, the resolution or x's 2 prompt is a little much) 3. More RAM/Memory 256...(come on now, a lot of smart phones have 1 gig these days) 4. Camera (all of the rival tablets are coming w/standard camera's) not to mention using your phone connected to the iPad is an "extra step" Why not have a rear and front camera? The iTouch does! 5. I'll leave this open for the next iPad... :]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I believe the current iPad needs the following: 1. Retina display(the only thing that separates a 3gs from a 4g) 2. More iPad only apps (tired of the dual apps, the resolution or x's 2 prompt is a little much) 3. More RAM/Memory 256...(come on now, a lot of smart phones have 1 gig these days) 4. Camera (all of the rival tablets are coming w/standard camera's) not to mention using your phone connected to the iPad is an "extra step" Why not have a rear and front camera? The iTouch does! 5. I'll leave this open for the next iPad... :]
    1. Disagree: While the retina display is awesome, I don't think it is necessary for the iPad. (And there's a bit more that separates the 3GS & 4)

2. Agree: Can always use more iPad apps.

3. Agree: Have to have at least 512. I wish double that but I won't be holding my breath.

4. Front facing camera would be nice, but honestly I don't use facetime much at all on my i4. A rear camera on the iPad is ridiculous though, imho.

Thanks

I own an ipad. I dont think facetime is practical. And walking around with that trying to record 720p video would look strange.IMHO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoenix View Post
    considering how there was absolutely no logical reason whatsoever for a smaller iPad to be produced, this makes sense. Here's hoping it's as soon as possible -- I know Apple and I know that their 2nd gen devices tend to be the ones that really show-up and eclipse their predecessors. I've made the decision to hold off the iPad for that very reason.
    Precisely the reason I haven't bought an iPad yet. The notion of the 7" device is appealing as is the larger and more "completed" model with FaceTime and more memory. I have no doubt that these variants will come out sooner or later but apple is just maximizing profit margins with the iPad G1 which I consider a mere public beta model. iPad G2 and the smaller iPad "pocket" model will definitely have consumer appeal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12