+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.2 Beta for iPad Released to Developers

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Right now, if you hold down the volume down button for like 3/4 of a second the volume is automatically changed to 0. Thats pretty much just as good as
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Right now, if you hold down the volume down button for like 3/4 of a second the volume is automatically changed to 0. Thats pretty much just as good as mute in my handbook. Growing up I have rarely had a use for a mute button, even on my TV. What I have had a use for on a consistent basis is an easy-to-access switch for disabling auto-rotate.

Back to my point about good user interface, a mute function, which does not exist on the iPad right now, should be delegated to the iPod dock menu (really, think about it) rather than wasting a hardware switch for it. IMO.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Um... right now a mute button does not exist... with the new firmware it makes the switch a mute button. This would be a NEW function for the iPad. Is this concept difficult for you to grasp?
    The part that makes me wonder as to whether or not this is intentional is the fact that volume still auto mutes when you hold it down for more than a second. Personally, I've always hated this feature. I'd rather have to hold the button an extra couple seconds to silence the ipad rather than having to tap it 6 or 7 times to get the volume halfway

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amauryneto View Post
    it seams that only HP printers are supported by the AirPrint
    see: Apple’s AirPrint Wireless Printing for iPad, iPhone & iPod touch Coming to Users in November
    At least for now.
    Or, if you're sharing a printer via your Mac (or PC, with a software utility), iPad can print to it. But you need to install the developer seed of OS X 10.6.5, which was also released today.

Quote Originally Posted by tjb5099 View Post
    To wrap things up if 4.2 comes out in november for ipad, the dev team will wait cause 4.2 beta may come out in november for the iphone.
    The 4.2 beta that's available today is for all iOS devices that support it. This is the unification release.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Not sure if I am happy about the mute button idea.
    I'm not happy about it, but it's not the functionality I dislike. I've had this device for nearly six months, and now they're changing my hardware functions? The device only has three hardware buttons and one switch, so unilaterally changing the functionality of one of those things is just inherently an inconsiderate move. They may have decided that they made a bad design decision, but I think it's poor form to change their mind after shipping the device.

The first thing I did was to check Settings.app, but there is no preference to change it. Sucks. I was fine with holding the volume-down for 1/2-second to mute the speaker.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If anything, since getting the ipad I've been wishing my iphone had the same switch for rotation lock. I'd much rather accidentally lock orientation when I have my phone in my pocket than silence the ringer, and the orientation lock on the ipad has been indispensable in my experience with the device. I would hope at the very least that I would have the option of CHOOSING in the settings whether the switch locks orientation or functions as a mute button in the new update, although past experience would indicate this hope is most likely in vain, as choice is not a popular feature these days, it seems.
    Last edited by veebles; 09-16-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Um... right now a mute button does not exist... with the new firmware it makes the switch a mute button. This would be a NEW function for the iPad. Is this concept difficult for you to grasp?
    Actually a mute button, albeit not dedicated, does exist. Just hold volume-down. The problem is that the volume-up button doesn't function the same.

Holding volume-down as mute was bothersome at first as I would inadvertently mute the audio instead of just turning it down, but it wasn't that hard to get used to. I think they should just make volume-up act similarly and leave rotation on the switch. I will miss rotation lock on the switch, because when mounted on my dashboard, I always end up locking it while driving after having Pandora or GPS Drive flip 90 degrees and then back on a quick turn. It won't be nearly as easy to double-press the home button, scroll the menu, and tap the lock button as it was to just flip the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by punkassjim View Post
    The device only has three hardware buttons and one switch, so unilaterally changing the functionality of one of those things is just inherently an inconsiderate move.
    Odd, my iPad has 4 buttons and one switch...
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 09-16-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Odd, my iPad has 4 buttons and one switch...
    I consider the volume rocker one button. Pedant.

Why is that retarded? The rotation lock becomes software like all the other iOS 4 devices and this ADDS functionality that wasn't there before.
    It's like saying a swimming pool should have a handy faucet on the side instead of the ladder, because bathtubs are that way, and they should all function the same.

If anyone here is a developer and also dislikes this change, please dupe rdar://8439248 or rdar://8434976
    Last edited by punkassjim; 09-16-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can anyone add my uuid for ipad?i want to try new 4.2 firmware pleaseee

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123