+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2G With FaceTime For the Holidays?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
According to "person with proven knowledge of Apple's future product plans," Apple may be hard at work on a second-generation iPad with a front-facing camera that will support FaceTime, and
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad 2G With FaceTime For the Holidays?

According to "person with proven knowledge of Apple's future product plans," Apple may be hard at work on a second-generation iPad with a front-facing camera that will support FaceTime, and may possibly be preparing it for release in time for the holiday buying season. AppleInsider is reporting that Apple plans to make its whole range of iOS devices FaceTime-compatible before making the video conferencing API accessible by other platforms, in hopes of getting ahead of the market opportunity for competitors like Skype and Qik.

When Apple announced FaceTime with the iPhone 4 in June, Steve Jobs made a commitment to push the video conferencing protocol as an open standard that could be used on non-Apple devices. AppleInsider's sources indicate that the company is on an "ambitious push" to get a front-camera equipped iPad on the market no later than the first quarter of next year, ahead of any release of the API. With FaceTime support in the iPod touch as well as the iPhone, Apple clearly hopes to lead competitors by having millions of compatible devices out there. Rumors of desktop support by Apple programs like iChat on Mac OS X and Windows persist, and if they come to fruition would put Apple in pole position as the market opens up.

Video-chat makers like as Qik and Skype have flagged their interest in building FaceTime support into their software, which would open up access to a range of desktop and mobile clients. Qik is preloaded on a number of popular smartphones like the Evo 4G and Epic 4G, and have said they expect to have clients running on 75 million devices by the end of 2011.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

gotacube (09-12-2010), mdc31997 (09-23-2010)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be pretty kewl.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

No F'ing way. Release the new iPad a full three months ahead of schedule? You guys come up with these rumors every year. Apple's staggered annual release model is fantastic. It allows you to feel good about your purchase far longer than would be the case with the competition which are daily putting out something better than the previous day. Additionally, Apple will likely release the iPad 2G with an upgraded SoC sporting at the very least more RAM and efficiency improvements, if not making the full jump to Cortex A9 based hardware.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

dast1g (09-11-2010), numanair (09-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

They need to make FaceTime compatible with all other smartphone/computer video chat applications. Then it'd be nice!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If they release this, I will be really really shocked. This would be even worse than the iPhone 3G release with the cheaper price tag within a year.

Thanks

early adopters would feel bad.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

i doubt they release a new iPad early that would severely irk their current customers as well as it doesnt fit into what apple does normally so i doubt they change what they do

Thanks

I hope they do make a new one by the end of the year.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is the iPad I am waiting for (forward looking camera!!) I'm just waiting for the announcement.

Thanks

This is Bull$h!+ someone should make an iPad case with a rotateable camera and maybe extra battery like the Mophie juice pack air but for the iPad

Thanks

This wouldn't surprise me, and i'd probably be pretty good
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

The next iPad 3G I get will look like the iPhone 4, the glass back of the IP4 is so sexy and classic. Would love to see this on an iPad with a front & rear facing camera and maybe some USB ports

Thanks

I don't know what to think about this one. I though the iPad would probably be like most iPods used to be, being updated every 2 years instead of one year but hell it seems like most the iPods are updated every year now so who knows.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

throw some usb or sd card slot and im game

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    No F'ing way. Release the new iPad a full three months ahead of schedule? You guys come up with these rumors every year. Apple's staggered annual release model is fantastic. It allows you to feel good about your purchase far longer than would be the case with the competition which are daily putting out something better than the previous day. Additionally, Apple will likely release the iPad 2G with an upgraded SoC sporting at the very least more RAM and efficiency improvements, if not making the full jump to Cortex A9 based hardware.
    Cortex ftw!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope so, I can't wait. Hopefully with a higher res display and I'm all over it like flies on... well you know.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I kind of doubt this will happen... but it'd be great if it did. The iPad needs Facetime and it'd be nice to have before the holiday season.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i don't care if they realese it tomorrow i'm ready to get two of them.apple please stop talking put it out and get my money now lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just give me a front/back facing camera, upgrade RAM to 1GB, upgrade CPU speed a bit to the newer Cortex A9 and, uh, quit f***ing around with closing down the, what is supposed to be, open bluetooth protocol (so I can pair with my headset, damnit!) and we'll be in business. Serious business.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I doubt this will happen. Can see it coming out around March next year, following the 1 year life cycle of all the other products.

Hopefully it will have the retina display and then I will be buying.

Don't really care about the front facing camera. Had one on my laptop for years and never used it.