Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UBS Analyst: Mega iPad Sales Ahead for 2011

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default UBS Analyst: Mega iPad Sales Ahead for 2011

If you're an Apple fanatic who can't get enough of figures and forecasts regarding Apple's prospective sales and company growth, you're in luck. This week, Maynard Um with UBS Investment Research provided one of his widely-read and much-anticipated "investor notes." In the document, Um says Apple could sell upwards of 28 million iPads in 2011 and further erode the PC market share in the United States.

"Sales of traditional notebooks appear to be feeling pressure from the iPad, causing a scramble by vendors to launch iPad-like tablets," Um wrote. "We believe that a majority of this impact is occurring on the lower end of PC sales as the iPad is priced close enough to this range that it becomes attractive to consumers looking to make purchases within this segment." He was, however, quick to qualify his comments by noting that "We are not sold that the iPad is purely cannibalizing PC sales, as the functionality of the iPad cannot yet deliver the functionality of notebook PCs. However, consumers who purchase iPads may be more willing to delay purchases and upgrades of existing PCs."

Not withstanding the harsh economic realities confronting many today, Apple's tablet has managed to exceed sales expectations throughout 2010 even in the absence of real competition in the tablet marketplace - a force that would drive iPad and iPad knock-off prices lower. As a result of this impressive reality, Um believes that a likely (modest) economic recovery coupled with greater competition and affordability in the tablet market will continue to drive sales of the iPad so high that lofty estimates today may eventually appear to have been conservative in hindsight.

CRN

I had a feeling this was coming...

If the 2g is good, i'll bite, just like many other people

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Give me a USB port and I'm buying same day...without it, you can keep it apple. I don't need ANOTHER item to plug into my MacBook Pro. I want to be able to plug iPhone 4 into my iPad and goooo.
    Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    Give me a USB port and I'm buying same day...without it, you can keep it apple. I don't need ANOTHER item to plug into my MacBook Pro. I want to be able to plug iPhone 4 into my iPad and goooo.
    agreed.

I agree too. I need a USB for sure!

This is a joke. In early 2010, apple hasn't have tough competition in the market. Not anymore. Moreover, compared to iphone and ipod 4g, Ipad is kind of Apple Fanboys' toy. It is easy to break the sale record for a phone with carrier subsidized price. I don't know whether they will sell ipad like that.

What is going to help the iPad and hurt other tablets is the thing that actually helps smartphones sell (ironically). The ability to purchase 3G on a month to month no contract basis without a subsidy price. The Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak (with a subsidy) will not see numbers anywhere near iPad for that reason. Who wants to be tied to another contract when the same people these tablets market to already have a cell/smartphone plan? It is going to be a tough sell.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

If they add the features everyone is expecting yeah they'll take off.

I love mine already as a crossover, it's much easier to take it to class and take notes and then come back and sync it with my desktop.

Thanks

can't wait for the next gen ipad. hopefully it has the retina display as well as both cameras and a bump in ram. Until then, i'll just have to do without.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I want an iPad but holding out to see what comes on the new one. I'm hoping for a retina, display 2 Cameras, 1.5ghz - 2ghz processor, true multitasking and whole lot more ram.

When will 2nd gen supposedbly drop? Also what do you guys think the price range willl be in?