+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Clamshell Keyboard Will Make Your Tablet More Traditional

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
For the traditionalists out there who really want their iPad to take on the shape and functionality of a more "traditional laptop," there's good news to report. Coming soon to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iPad Clamshell Keyboard Will Make Your Tablet More Traditional

For the traditionalists out there who really want their iPad to take on the shape and functionality of a more "traditional laptop," there's good news to report. Coming soon to consumers (probably), is a third-party iPad peripheral that transforms your touchscreen tablet into the laptop of yesterday - at least in appearance, as the clamshell case serves up tactile input by way of an attached Bluetooth keyboard.

Due to the wireless nature of the accessory, this Bluetooth device requires an official sanction from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. The request for approval is precisely what helped leak the product's existence. And, as a result, there is no shortage of iPad users excited to get their hands on this third-party keyboard made by Shenzhen Paoluy Silicone Technology Co., Ltd. According to wirelessgoodness.com, the keyboard has already been given the green light by the FCC and should be available "soon."

The so-called "KeyCase iPad Folio with Integrated Bluetooth Keyboard" is expected to retail in the US for around $100. According to the manual, the keyboard has a standby time of up to 100 days and a "theoretical" uninterrupted working time of 90 hours. Early reports of product details also note that the battery, "which must be charged separately from the iPad," requires a pretty lengthy charge - about 4-and-a-half hours via a standard Apple USB iPod connector cable.

wirelessgoodness

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

bigboyz (08-25-2010), T4R06 (08-24-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

awesome!

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

woah, awesome. ive seen a few better ones tho but its is still a great thing to have for in classes where typing on a touch screen gets painful
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I can turn my iPad into a netbook. Oh joy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

bruinsrme (08-24-2010), BSmith (08-24-2010)

Thanks

It's the new MacBook Net...wait a minute, it's just an iPad with a KeyCase.

But, that is awesome!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

So let me get this straight - you buy an iPad because you want to be one of the "firsts" at something. Then, you figure out that the thing is a pain to use for anything that comes close to a computer, so you buy this keyboard setup to use it more as a regular computer, only to find out that the limited OS and power hungry manufacturer of your shiny new device extremely limits what applications are available for installation, not to mention the limited processing power and storage capacity.

Eventually you'll figure out you should stop worrying about the bandwagon so much and just bought a traditional laptop. Congratulations.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to niqolas619 For This Useful Post:

bigboyz (08-25-2010), bruinsrme (08-24-2010), foscocity (08-24-2010), greek.guy (08-27-2010), ron4543 (08-24-2010), samurai_vara (08-25-2010), Shishir G (08-24-2010), Tedomcmillan (08-24-2010)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

NArush (08-24-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone cookbenj's Avatar
    Thanks

the irony
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?

what a game

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post
    So let me get this straight - you buy an iPad because you want to be one of the "firsts" at something. Then, you figure out that the thing is a pain to use for anything that comes close to a computer, so you buy this keyboard setup to use it more as a regular computer, only to find out that the limited OS and power hungry manufacturer of your shiny new device extremely limits what applications are available for installation, not to mention the limited processing power and storage capacity.

Eventually you'll figure out you should stop worrying about the bandwagon so much and just bought a traditional laptop. Congratulations.
    I agree 100%. The reason I didn't buy an iPad was lack of connectivity. And now you have people who are willing to spend an extra $100 to the already pricey iPad, to get a laptop like feel? This seems like an add-on keypad for my iPhone. For the added price, go buy a notebook and get all the extra features without having to buy tons of accessories.

iPhone? More like MyPhone j3wbagell's Avatar
    Thanks

They need to make one with a web cam in the case...

My parents didn't pay for my iPhone.
    *If i help you hit that "Thanks" button for me*

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, that one is awesome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

still holding out for the hopefully re-vamped ipad.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you want traditional should have bought a notebook or netbook.

Thanks

Can't figure out this one either. Well, *I* was very disappointed with the ipad (was waiting for it for months!). Ended-up paying $1600 for an HP 2740 tablet (works also as notebook, has 4 GB of ram, an i5 processor, 250 GB disk, and plenty of connectivity). I would have preferred not to get a PC, but heck! Windows 7 aint that bad. May never buy a mac again, sigh.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i just buy a laptop

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post

Flawed argument.
    Bandwagon is defined as the Majority

Majority of computer purchases in the world = standard Windows Laptop/Desktop
    Majority = Bandwagon/Sheep/Followers, etc
    Therefore:
    Bandwagon/Sheep/Followers = Standard Windows Laptop/Desktop

Sometimes something innovative isn't immediately perceived that way until it catches on. More and more companies are using the idea of Apple's touch-devices as they are innovative and inspire new ways to use a computer. You would have seen the same sarcastic remarks when GUI was developed over command line. Or when peripherals went wireless. Technology moves forward, so feel free to get on that "bandwagon"
    Really?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

NetMage (08-24-2010), quidam_brujah (08-25-2010)

Thanks

So add-on keyboards for your iPhone are useless, right? Abs tripods are stupid, why didn't you buy a camera with a built-in stand? I bet you don't have any use for docking stations either - just carry your desktop every where, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Me Too!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this is stupid if you want a keybord by a laptop. i never want to see a keybord on my mobile device ever again thank god steve is keeping the keybord away from my idevice hahahahah.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

To bad apple doesn't give students discounts on the iPad