Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPad Clamshell Keyboard Will Make Your Tablet More Traditional

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    Flawed argument.
    Bandwagon is defined as the Majority

    Majority of computer purchases in the world = standard Windows Laptop/Desktop
    Majority = Bandwagon/Sheep/Followers, etc
    Therefore:
    Bandwagon/Sheep/Followers = Standard Windows Laptop/Desktop
    You're seriously going to try to make the argument that people that bought/are buying the iPad are not bandwagoners? Like this forum isn't filled with people that take and praise everything Apple spoon feeds them with as the word of God.

    Bandwagon doesn't have to be the majority of people - it just means that people get on with something before they know anything about it, just so they can be in line with other people that don't know what they're doing or the envy of their co-workers and friends. Besides that, I'm sure the iPad outsold every netbook on the market it's first week or so that it was out, seeing as how they sold 2 million of them or whatever it was. So your argument is flawed, my friend.

    I love Apple's computer and tolerate their phone, but you can't convince me that the iPad is useful to anybody wanting to do anything other than browse the web at their local coffee shop (non-flash sites only, of course). Why buy a device that can't do half of what every laptop on the planet can do?

    I'm not saying the iPad will always be useless, but until Apple adds a real hard drive of some type, connection ports, and a real operating system on an open platform I really don't want to hear about it. I would have said the same thing about wireless stuff 10 years ago when you could only move two and a half feet away from the base station and deal with speeds 1/3 the rate of wired connections.

  2. #22
    My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Posts
    876
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked 395 Times in 146 Posts

    Why does every thread liike this have to degenerate into an argument for or against the iPad? This thread was to introduce a peripheral for the iPad. If you have an iPad, then you may or may not want this. If you don't have an iPad, and you don't want an iPad, and if you don't think the iPad is for you - then don't bother commenting in this thread, because quite obviously, if you don't like the iPad, you won't like anything made for the iPad.

    But, back on topic... I have an iPad. I use my iPad nearly everyday. In fact, I am posting this from my iPad right now. I could go on at length about the reasons that my iPad is extremely useful for me, and why I purchased it - not to jump on any bandwagon, but because I knew what it would do , and wanted it for that reason. That being said, I can see that there would be times when a keyboard/case like that would be nice to have. I wouldn't want it all the time, and so I don't think I would purchase this. But, I can easily see the appeal for it.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    Why does every thread liike this have to degenerate into an argument for or against the iPad? This thread was to introduce a peripheral for the iPad. If you have an iPad, then you may or may not want this. If you don't have an iPad, and you don't want an iPad, and if you don't think the iPad is for you - then don't bother commenting in this thread, because quite obviously, if you don't like the iPad, you won't like anything made for the iPad.

    But, back on topic... I have an iPad. I use my iPad nearly everyday. In fact, I am posting this from my iPad right now. I could go on at length about the reasons that my iPad is extremely useful for me, and why I purchased it - not to jump on any bandwagon, but because I knew what it would do , and wanted it for that reason. That being said, I can see that there would be times when a keyboard/case like that would be nice to have. I wouldn't want it all the time, and so I don't think I would purchase this. But, I can easily see the appeal for it.
    I guess its just like marmite you love or you hate it
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?


    what a game

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post
    You're seriously going to try to make the argument that people that bought/are buying the iPad are not bandwagoners? Like this forum isn't filled with people that take and praise everything Apple spoon feeds them with as the word of God.

    Bandwagon doesn't have to be the majority of people - it just means that people get on with something before they know anything about it, just so they can be in line with other people that don't know what they're doing or the envy of their co-workers and friends. Besides that, I'm sure the iPad outsold every netbook on the market it's first week or so that it was out, seeing as how they sold 2 million of them or whatever it was. So your argument is flawed, my friend.

    I love Apple's computer and tolerate their phone, but you can't convince me that the iPad is useful to anybody wanting to do anything other than browse the web at their local coffee shop (non-flash sites only, of course). Why buy a device that can't do half of what every laptop on the planet can do?

    I'm not saying the iPad will always be useless, but until Apple adds a real hard drive of some type, connection ports, and a real operating system on an open platform I really don't want to hear about it. I would have said the same thing about wireless stuff 10 years ago when you could only move two and a half feet away from the base station and deal with speeds 1/3 the rate of wired connections.
    It may not be as useful to you, but don't brand your needs as everyone's needs. The iPad is a far more exceptional media device that most laptops, especially in that price range. Name a laptop that is more portable that can play video for over 10 hours in that price range. It doesn't exist, so you can't lump the iPad in with a laptop. Or find one that offers the ability to edit HD video on the go, that one is tougher than it sounds. Also, you are on an Apple enthusiast site. If you visit any enthusiast site, you are bound to find.... Enthusiasts! I am also sure you owned an iPad to make your judgments. As a Network Admin, I certainly prefer using it over my 3 work laptops, netbook, 2 desktops as well as a host of other computers in the past... and some have been "real" tablets.
    Really?

  5. #25
    the iPad is selling well because it fills a niche. a portable device that you can easily carry around with you or take to bed.

    you can watch movies, play games, read a book. it turns on immediately. it's easy to use. has long battery life. i'm amazed by how many non-tech folks come up to me saying they want one but just can't afford it right now.

    if i had to wait for the ipad to boot up or come out of hibernation, i wouldn't have bought it. period.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    That's SUPER COOL!!!!!

  7. #27
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SC California
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts

    Not bad at all, I'll have to look deeper into it !!!

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    I signed up day 1 for this to be notified when it gets released.

  9. #29
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Pronup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    685
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 188 Times in 142 Posts

    I'm all about the ClamCase!

  10. #30
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Sad thing is it still can't even do some of the things that the "notebook of yesterday" can... ROFL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harambur View Post
    if i had to wait for the ipad to boot up or come out of hibernation, i wouldn't have bought it. period.
    Most modern laptops (macbooks included, of course) are pretty instant too, at least when you consider the "slide to unlock" you are doing on the ipad every time you take it out of lock mode. How long, exactly, are you waiting for your laptops to "come out of hibernation"?

    Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    Flawed argument.
    Bandwagon is defined as the Majority

    Majority of computer purchases in the world = standard Windows Laptop/Desktop
    Majority = Bandwagon/Sheep/Followers, etc
    Therefore:
    Bandwagon/Sheep/Followers = Standard Windows Laptop/Desktop
    "The bandwagon effect, also known as the "cromo effect" and closely related to opportunism, is a phenomenon—observed primarily within the fields of microeconomics, political science, and behaviorism—that people often do and believe things merely because many other people do and believe the same things."

    There is an ACTUAL definition of "bandwagon". Making up your own definitions of bandwagon simply to fit YOUR argument doesn't really work (except maybe in your own mind).

    It has nothing to do with a majority. What data then, do you have to show that people who bought Microsoft platforms were simply "sheep/followers"? If anything, I would say this is more the case with OSX. Their average users "know" OSX is "better" because of what they have been told in a commercial or from a friend and not actual data.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-24-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post
    So let me get this straight - you buy an iPad because you want to be one of the "firsts" at something. Then, you figure out that the thing is a pain to use for anything that comes close to a computer, so you buy this keyboard setup to use it more as a regular computer, only to find out that the limited OS and power hungry manufacturer of your shiny new device extremely limits what applications are available for installation, not to mention the limited processing power and storage capacity.

    Eventually you'll figure out you should stop worrying about the bandwagon so much and just bought a traditional laptop. Congratulations.

    [inset 'raspberry' sound]
    This is the same specious argument that people who don't like the iPad give -- it's like me dissing people who buy one of those noisy, monster, Dell/Alienware 'laptops' with the massive power supply and annoyingly bright lights. Anyone who bought an iPad thinking they were getting a 'Mac tablet', were fools. That was never the intended purpose.

    I bought the 64GB WiFi iPad for all those things I was using my iPhone for that was really too small to use: (including, but not limited to) video, websurfing longer than 'what was the name of that guy in that movie', email, blogging/FB (I'm so glad that iPad doesn't support flash -- no stupid FB games), reading (iBooks/Amazon Kindle/PressDisplay) and playing a number of games.

    I also use it for things my iPhone really couldn't do (airmouse/tablet for my MBP, Webex presentations) or do well (show Powerpoints, edit MS Office documents.) I've also found that not only do I now mostly do those things I used to do on my iPhone, but my other 'standard' computers are used about a third less, which means I'm carting around less junk and I'm unchained from my desk. I've gone to classes with nothing but my iPad and keyboard. I've taken notes, and hands-on lab stuff I've done using the iPad with ssh/telnet. And when lunch comes, and other guys are chaining theirs to a desk or hauling it around, I pop mine in my bag (the Indiana Jones Mark VII respirator bag is perfect -- and it does look like a man-purse) and weighs about the same as a laptop power supply

    The only ***** I have about the iPad (or iPhone 4, for that matter) is when it can't do the things it was designed to do, like working out on a nice sunny day when it gets too hot: that's BS. Or that it still doesn't have iOS 4, because I'd really like the multitasking (running Skype or Beejive in the background.)

    But I have never tried to make it replace a laptop/notebook -- it wasn't designed to do that and that path is filled with pain and misery. Mostly, it does what it was designed to do very well.

    So, I can really see this product filling a very good niche in the educational market and anywhere else where a substantial amount of typing on an iPad is required. I could use it in my classes without hauling a separate keyboard... but I like being able to move my keyboard around... so I probably wouldn't get it, but others may find it perfect.

    So, people, if you are tempted to post another 'diss-the-iPad' reply, don't bother: you aren't adding to the discussion and you are hijacking the thread. This thread was about the clamshell keyboard for the iPad. Discuss the merits, or lack thereof, of that device and not using it as yet another reason to diss the iPad.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMokemyPole88 View Post
    To bad apple doesn't give students discounts on the iPad
    They have for years:
    Student Discount - Apple Store (U.S.)

    Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    this is stupid if you want a keybord by a laptop. i never want to see a keybord on my mobile device ever again thank god steve is keeping the keybord away from my idevice hahahahah.
    'He' added BT keyboard support, so 'Steve' is not keeping your keyboard away: that's your choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    Flawed argument.
    Bandwagon is defined as the Majority

    Majority of computer purchases in the world = standard Windows Laptop/Desktop
    Majority = Bandwagon/Sheep/Followers, etc
    Therefore:
    Bandwagon/Sheep/Followers = Standard Windows Laptop/Desktop

    Sometimes something innovative isn't immediately perceived that way until it catches on. More and more companies are using the idea of Apple's touch-devices as they are innovative and inspire new ways to use a computer. You would have seen the same sarcastic remarks when GUI was developed over command line. Or when peripherals went wireless. Technology moves forward, so feel free to get on that "bandwagon"
    Thanks!
    I think we can draw a line between 'Star Trek', Apple and industry adoption of an LCARS-like environment. When we finally have our ST-environment for interacting with computers and media tech, we should be sending the Okuda's a big check.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 08-25-2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. #32
    iPhone? More like MyPhone slap690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Illinoize
    Posts
    254
    Thanks
    914
    Thanked 101 Times in 71 Posts

    What's the point? if you want it to look like a notebook and have a physical keyboard then why not by a macbook? Duh. I don't get people

  13. #33
    Because this is far lighter and less bulky than a notebook. And has a longer battery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •