+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will iOS-Based iTV Really "Change Everything?"

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by sandstorm77 You know what this will cause? Say goodbye to our unlimited broadband connections! As the cable compy looses its tv subscribers it will compensate its loss
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm77 View Post
    You know what this will cause? Say goodbye to our unlimited broadband connections! As the cable compy looses its tv subscribers it will compensate its loss buy charging us more for broadband. **** you apple! Thanks for ruining everything assholes.
    They are already doing this. I'm with Comcast and I had the basic plan ($10) + standard def set top ($5) + Sports package ($5) + Internet ($50); so I was paying about $70 for just the stations I wanted (AMC, ESPN, Fox Soccer) and getting the rest from the Internet. It was perfect for me.

When the World Cup rolled around, I got a HD DVR just for the month to watch and record in HD (BIGGEST MISTAKE). My next bill was $179.99 even though the ONLY thing I added with the HD DVR. They said it was a billing error, whatever. The HD box kept cutting out most of the time so I didn't even get to watch the most important games.

End of the World Cup, I return the HD box and ask to go back to the SAME plan I had for the past 2 years before I did the World Cup HD box. They said they couldn't go back to that and instead increased my bill by $40 with NO SERVICE CHANGE WHATSOEVER. I have the exact same channels and equipment that I had when I was paying $70/month except now I'm paying $100+.

I bought the PlayOn service and it has Hulu and ESPN3 for watching sports. If PlayOn would just be more reliable, I'd ditch my cable. Sometimes the streams cut out or don't play at all.

I imagine that the iTV will be something like that, but much more stable. But as you mentioned, as the cable companies see people getting their content from the Internet more and more, and wanting to cancel their cable service, they will ultimately make them pay by capping bandwidth/speed or charging more for more bandwidth.

Sorry for the rant, but your comment triggered my hate for Comcast's greedy practices.

EDIT:

Just to clarify, they said they stopped offering the Basic package so now you HAVE to go with higher priced starter package.
    Last edited by Caligula; 08-23-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gtag View Post
    ...This (recording) is one issue I think Apple has been lacking in all of it's media players.
    Agreed, this feature would really make the iTV enticing indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    ...The HD box kept cutting out most of the time so I didn't even get to watch the most important games.

...They said they couldn't go back to that and instead increased my bill by $40 with NO SERVICE CHANGE WHATSOEVER. I have the exact same channels and equipment that I had when I was paying $70/month except now I'm paying $100+.

Just to clarify, they said they stopped offering the Basic package so now you HAVE to go with higher priced starter package.
    First of all, you do have Comcast and you get what you pay for.
    Second, all cable companies have been raising their rates lately. Its not their fault though. The networks want more money and so the cable company has to charge you more money. Either they lose the network and risk losing customers or they raise the rates and risk losing customers. Either way its a lose/lose situation for them so blame the networks...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Does your ISP currently block ANYTHING that you browse? (I assume you ARE in California, as your tag suggests). You can pirate videos. movies, and music to your heart's content without being "blocked", why would this be any different?
    No not yet not on my service since I only use it for telephone and gaming, but then anything I do is not stealing their lucrative cable profit.
    Also yes I have seen many people in the forums with Cox Communications that had their service capped/stopped, due to high download volume from torrents. And that is just downloading and uploading in high volume, not stealing profits they would make with iTV ontop of even higher downloading volume. Unless Apple able to produce some sort of extreme compression then uncomress at iTV device so it work on DSL, I do not see them replacing cable TV.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by havoc0351 View Post
    Agreed, this feature would really make the iTV enticing indeed...

First of all, you do have Comcast and you get what you pay for.
    Second, all cable companies have been raising their rates lately. Its not their fault though. The networks want more money and so the cable company has to charge you more money. Either they lose the network and risk losing customers or they raise the rates and risk losing customers. Either way its a lose/lose situation for them so blame the networks...
    I understand their raising rates. I went from $64 to $69 a month over the past 2 years because of creeping rate increases. $5 dollars in increases isn't a lot, but when you remove a tier of service and make it so that a person has to pay $40 more to receive the SAME service, I think that's a little out of line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    I understand their raising rates. I went from $64 to $69 a month over the past 2 years because of creeping rate increases. $5 dollars in increases isn't a lot, but when you remove a tier of service and make it so that a person has to pay $40 more to receive the SAME service, I think that's a little out of line.
    I completely agree that it sucks big fat monkey balls! My parents only have Comcast in their area and they cancelled everything but their basic cable service. Nothing more they can do...

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's funny how much speculation and disagreement there can be over something no one has even seen yet ... lol.

But I'll add my .02 just because I think this is a topic I've been interested in for a long time.

Right now the only people who know for sure what this thing is going to do, and how much it will cost is Apple ... so we'll all just have to wait and see. And I honestly don't know that I personally care too much about it anyway.

But ...

We are clearly in the digital age, and digital content is clearly killing non-digital. The more broad-band and wi-fi spreads, the more viable and wide-spread streaming and on-demand services will become ... netflix (running on almost anything), and hulu are great examples of this ... and even darn iTunes.

We're a world that LOVES convenience and instant gratification !!! We want everything right now ... and you don't have to look very far to see that. And there's a LOT of money in being able to provide "it" faster or easier or cheaper ... or any combination.

And truthfully, this is what is killing the "traditional" mediums (Newspapers, magazines, radio, CDs, DVDs, and even cable) of the "past". Records, Cassettes, and VHS are already dead (at least from a consumer standpoint).

From a sales / profitability standpoint, all of them but cable are already on life support ... but the strong will evolve, and live on as digitally supplied content (already happening). The rest won't be so lucky. And Cable needs to act fast, before it dies hard and fast. Broadband (already paying for) + netflix + hulu = a lot less than my cable bill. There are already alternatives, and you can be sure there are more to come. Comcast has the infrastructure and was positioned almost perfectly to be in the forefront of the "new cable age", but have completely dropped the ball ... and there service has continued to get worse. I personally that the current TV / cable model is outdated, they don't want to go to an A la carte scheme because of pricing / profit structures. But as probably the biggest worldwide consumer media product, they are forced to evolve faster than other mediums ... or lose out altogether ... before someone comes up with something to completely replace them, and it's too late.

The one thing we can be sure of, is that things will change ... and that change will more than likely cost us $$$ ... lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks

About the only thing that makes this device compelling is that it will probably run AirVideo.

It also will most likely not support 1080p so it's a no go for me.

Here's what is must have to be viable:

1. Support 1080p
    2. Support a good 3rd party streaming server tech, like Airvideo
    3. Support a standard remote type (IR)
    4. Support HDMI out
    5. Support a remote keyboard and mouse (less important but nice to have)
    Last edited by santiagodraco; 08-23-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

These events, mostly, did come to pass. Think about how devalued music became once the utilities to make it easily and listen to it on multiple channels through a single source came along. That's been happening one step at a time with movies and tv. Think about how cheap television is becoming. I don't know about you, but with iTunes, Hulu Plus and netflix on the iPad, the macbooks and the hacked appleTV (iTV soon to fix this issue), we cancelled our television service. (Also - let's not forget about Vuze. We just have internet. I don't know any household whose head is under fifty years of age that still pays for television. But if you like paying three times more... by all means, remain with the barbaric hordes who still use a television with cable or the dish...

We live in a strange world... video is becoming devalued...

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234