Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Will iOS-Based iTV Really "Change Everything?"

  1. #41
    iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cranston, RI
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 33 Times in 17 Posts

    You know what this will cause? Say goodbye to our unlimited broadband connections! As the cable compy looses its tv subscribers it will compensate its loss buy charging us more for broadband. **** you apple! Thanks for ruining everything assholes.

  2. #42

  3. #43
    Livin the iPhone Life tudtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Foco, Colorado
    Posts
    1,003
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts

    I don't know if it will change everything, but hopefully a lot. I just wanna see if I can play game on itv. $10 for madden NFL vs. $60 for xbox 360

  4. #44
    iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts

    nothing gets me going more than to look at my cable bill, it uurrrks me i think cable tv is the most overpaid bill i have ever had. Id love for that bill to go away and if APPLE can do it Im in for sure. Yea the cable bill wont go away for good just like movie theaters but movie theaters had to raise there ticket prices up i mean hell 20.00 for popcorn and a drink now. movie theaters were hanging on by the skin on there teeth. Now there has been a spike in the theaters due to the 3d movies but once this "phase" moves to our living room its back to square one for the theaters. I think Apple can pull this one off!!

  5. #45
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Railroader View Post
    Radio will kill Newspapers and Magazi
    nes-didn't happen.
    TV will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen.
    VCR's will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen.
    DVD's will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen
    The Internet will kill Satellite, Cable, VCR's, DVD's, Blu-Ray and Movie Theatre'-didn't happen.
    Apple TV will kill Cable and Satellite-WON'T happen.

    These guys live in another world, seriously.
    ur comparison is way off. no one said tv is going to movie theatre or any of that.
    heres a real deal
    Cds killed audio tapes
    dvds killed video tapes
    mp3 kill "portable" cds player
    computer killed typewriter
    lots of things happen bro. ur the one living in another world. but having iTV will def wont kill sat or. any since its still legit. iTV will just be a matter of interface. content and possibility is still the same

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin4vn View Post
    ur comparison is way off. no one said tv is going to movie theatre or any of that.
    heres a real deal
    Cds killed audio tapes
    dvds killed video tapes
    mp3 kill "portable" cds player
    computer killed typewriter
    lots of things happen bro. ur the one living in another world. but having iTV will def wont kill sat or. any since its still legit. iTV will just be a matter of interface. content and possibility is still the same
    ... I believe you misunderstood his post. When he said TVs will kill movie theaters, consider this logic, if your able to watch movies right in the comfort of your home, then what's the point of going to movie theaters? Meaning, the supposed death of movie theaters osht. But we know that it's going strong mirite?

    More to add.

    Radio will kill record/music sales-didn't happen.
    Internet will kill record/music sales-still didn't happen.

  7. #47
    I don't think iTV will do what most of us techies want but at a $99 price point I am sure it will be a success as it will be bought up by the bucket loads by those who are not geeks, have an iphone and like how well it works.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Railroader View Post
    Radio will kill Newspapers and Magazines-didn't happen.
    TV will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen.
    VCR's will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen.
    DVD's will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen
    The Internet will kill Satellite, Cable, VCR's, DVD's, Blu-Ray and Movie Theatre'-didn't happen.
    Apple TV will kill Cable and Satellite-WON'T happen.

    These guys live in another world, seriously.
    those facts may be correct but don't forget...

    video did kill the radio star

  9. #49
    Nothing will be killed. I already watch channels streamed on my TV with a STB. Its nice that I dont have a monthly bill but I miss the convenience of the dishtv. So I have dishtv and streamed internet tv, both. But I still like dishtv better.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Railroader View Post
    Radio will kill Newspapers and Magazines-didn't happen.
    TV will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen.
    VCR's will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen.
    DVD's will kill Movie Theatre's-didn't happen
    The Internet will kill Satellite, Cable, VCR's, DVD's, Blu-Ray and Movie Theatre'-didn't happen.
    Apple TV will kill Cable and Satellite-WON'T happen.

    These guys live in another world, seriously.



    From a consumer point of view your argument seems logical. However, this product, if it debuts as described, is not aimed at consumers, it's aimed at advertisers. The iAd platform has the potential of serving up targeted tv ads -- something the Nielsen Ratings could not and would not ever be able to do. Further, if there is an iPod / iPhone / iPad interface associated user behavior could be tracked in ways never seen. I'm talking about following your cursor across the screen, channel surfing habits, etc. And let's just face it, cable companies suck. They make us buy crappy programming (who needs 23 home improvement networks?) in bulk without much, if any choice. I think the cable companies see this coming. That's part of why they're fighting net neutrality with such a vengeance.

  11. #51
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Near Worcester MA
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Yeah... They still need fast internet service, DSL will not work with this thing. Cable internet service? fiber optics? They are all controlled by these company iTV trying to replace. Good luck with that, wouldn't be surprised they block the site iTV requires... Unless Apple wants to replace internet service as well.
    hmmmm this brings up an interesting point.
    Last week or the week before Verizon and Google were reported to be attempting to implement a tiered internet.
    Perhaps Google and verizon, mainly verizon is trying to prevent a large amount of their network capability from being sucked up by a service such as itv.
    Honestly TWC has already tested metered internet, ATT has has done away with unlimited for the iphone. Perhaps such things are in place or will return to prevent such services without the internet providers from getting their piece of the pie. Paying for "extra bandwidth may negate any "savings" that might be had with itv.
    I can't see Apple getting a free ride while pocketing subscriptions fees.

  12. #52
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    622
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 76 Times in 73 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    I don't want an iPod touch in a coffin, if it's iOS based then the hardware will be the same as an iPhone / iPod.

    [truncated]

    Also if this device is $99 that would mean 64 here in the uk but that won't happen will be 200+ as apple take the piss here .
    Exactly.

    I'm seriously doubting the $99 price point. I don't see how an iOS device with specs comparable to the iPad/iPhone 4 will be sold for less than an iTouch.

    I expect the price to be at the current AppleTV price point, which stagnated around $225, maybe a bit less. I hope it might be less than that, but knowing Apple and its pricing scales, there's more of a chance to win the lottery than see that low of a price point on a device meant to be home theater addition.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 08-23-2010 at 07:02 AM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    I'm seriously doubting the $99 price point.


    If my advertising theory proves true a $99 price point would be perfect -- give away the bathtub then charge for the water every time people want to fill that tub. IOW, the business model makes advertising and content the profit center. The lower price point helps get people over the price barrier when purchasing and adopting the new technology.

    Lest anyone doubt the validity of this theory I point to a little known company named Google that became a tech titan by changing the ways in which advertisers reach their targets online. That, along with Craigslist, killed newspaper and magazines businesses. Sure, there are some stragglers that are hanging on for life, but let's face it, newspapers as we knew them ten years ago are dead.

    On the tv side other factors come into play. Like volume of programming -- it's not sustainable. There simply aren't enough ad dollars to support the universe of choices we have. That's why direct response ads have exploded recently. Advertisers get remnant air time for pennies on the dollar and flood stations with crap ads for get out of debt schemes. Networks make a fraction of what they have in the past but it's better than giving it all to PSAs. It's much like radio in the US -- as of 2008 one of every ten radio commercials that ran was a direct response spot that got a substantial discount on air time.
    Last edited by mobilexile; 08-23-2010 at 07:23 AM.

  14. #54
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,023
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts

    There is a lot of devices around that are way better than iTV. The only thing that people will buy this instead of looking at others is because of the Apple logo. There is plenty of devices like the Western Digital TV Live which plays any file off a USB Hard drive among other devices with built in storage and flexibility.

    Oh, and its 2010. Over the air tv is 1080i, my Xbox is 1080p, and my laptop outputs to my TV at 1080p. I dont see why I would ever buy a device that supports only 720p.

  15. #55
    i bet apple is going to slap a monthly service fee. theres always a catch to something.

    im guessing this new idevice is like most new tvs that has built in apps like youtube, pandora, netflix, hulu plus, and bunch of other tv apps. for example the new Vizio tvs will have all these apps. so instead of buying a new tv you just buy this new idevice that hooks up to your current tv and get the same apps. so pretty much a cheap htpc running a iOS with just tv apps which i think someone should have done a long time ago instead of implementing into new tvs because not everyone can afford a new tv. for most people that have a htpc or knows how to build one cheap will not be interested because a htpc can do so much more but for the regular consumers or apple fan boys its going to be a must buy.

  16. #56
    I don't know what Apple expects of this world. People want freedom. Apple wants all of their products to work together and with nothing else, and they want to call it innovative. Until they realize this and make things open or to work friendly with other devices or software they will only have market in phones and mp3 players.

  17. #57
    Green Apple havoc0351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Camp Pendleton, CA
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

    The only way I see this happening is if they start offering internet access along with the iTV. How can Apple offer cable TV services off of a cable service itself? Thats retarded!

    Does anyone want blazing fast internet on their own internet connection from me? Just give me $100 and I'll hook you up so long as you keep your current internet provider. Any takers? No because you're not stupid!

    I know Apple and they're going to charge you for every episode, video file and addon. It won't only be $99! Don't be a fool, let this one slide to the fanboys first and see what happens with the hidden fees and restrictions...

  18. #58
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Yeah... They still need fast internet service, DSL will not work with this thing. Cable internet service? fiber optics? They are all controlled by these company iTV trying to replace. Good luck with that, wouldn't be surprised they block the site iTV requires... Unless Apple wants to replace internet service as well.
    Does your ISP currently block ANYTHING that you browse? (I assume you ARE in California, as your tag suggests). You can pirate videos. movies, and music to your heart's content without being "blocked", why would this be any different?

    For what it's worth, I really am not interested in this iTV but your argument is horribly flawed.

    Quote Originally Posted by havoc0351 View Post
    The only way I see this happening is if they start offering internet access along with the iTV. How can Apple offer cable TV services off of a cable service itself? Thats retarded!

    Does anyone want blazing fast internet on their own internet connection from me? Just give me $100 and I'll hook you up so long as you keep your current internet provider. Any takers? No because you're not stupid!

    I know Apple and they're going to charge you for every episode, video file and addon. It won't only be $99! Don't be a fool, let this one slide to the fanboys first and see what happens with the hidden fees and restrictions...
    You do realize that Hulu basically already does what you say cannot be done, right?
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-23-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  19. #59
    Green Apple havoc0351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Camp Pendleton, CA
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    You do realize that Hulu basically already does what you say cannot be done, right?
    I never said it CAN NOT be done...

    Hulu may charge you $10 a month to stream your favorite shows but those $10 gets you access to ALL their content not just certain shows, networks, etc. In turn if I cancel my service I'm not stuck with hardware that is now usless to me unlike iTV would be. If Apple really did only charge $99 then I would say that the iTV device would eventually pay for itself. IMO, Hulu is a better deal unless the ONLY device you EVER had to buy was the iTV, all other idevices were optional, there were no service charges or hidden fees and the iAds pretty much paid for the service. If this was the case I would cancel my cable and buy iTV for sure!
    Last edited by havoc0351; 08-23-2010 at 10:29 AM.

  20. #60
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto Canada & Kiryat Ono, Israel
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    I use AppleTV a lot and although limited it has its advantages. If I could custom choose which channels I get to my TV I would probably do it. The cable companies as is stream hundreds of channels and you end up watching the same handful anyhow. The fact that I would have control over the channels is attractive. However I would expect the iTV to have all the features of a set-top DVR and more. This (recording) is one issue I think Apple has been lacking in all of it's media players.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •