Results 1 to 20 of 20

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Verizon Coming to the iPad in New Live TV App

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,850
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

    Default Verizon Coming to the iPad in New Live TV App



    Here's a headline involving Verizon and Apple that you may not have been expecting. Unlike the plethora of Verizon iPhone rumors that continue to populate the web before any concrete evidence of such a development has been made public directly from the wireless carrier, we are hearing about much more plausible Apple-Verizon pairing in the near future. And this one involves the iPad.

    Verizon said today (Verizon itself, not sources familiar with the situation) that "it expects next year to launch a software application that will allow FiOS TV customers to watch live television on tablet computers." Yes, that includes the iPad. With content being king in the mobile TV and video space, it makes sense that Verizon Chief Information Officer Shaygan Kheradpir informed reporters at a demonstration of the new technology "that his company is in talks with content providers such as Time Warner Inc. to gain rights to extend programming agreements to tablet computers."

    The start of a public relationship (at least to a small degree) between Verizon and Apple is sure to kick-start a new batch of reports and speculation about what this development could lead to. For now, we can simply report what we know. And the (confirmed) story of the day is that Verizon has dibs on the iPad platform for its new venture. As reported by Reuters, Verizon "had 3.8 million customers for FiOS Internet customers and 3.2 million for FiOS TV at the end of the second quarter." With a large audience already in place and enormous potential for growth on the horizon, a Verizon offering on the iPad almost seems like too-much of a no-brainer to pass up.

    Reuters

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    Code1125 (08-18-2010)

  3. #2
    What about T-Mobile????

  4. #3
    will be cool to see how it pans out

  5. #4
    thats gud i jus hope that includes vodafone uk

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Code1125 View Post
    What about T-Mobile????
    What about it? Tmobile doesn't have anything to do with Fios Tv content.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

    rampagebegins (08-18-2010)

  8. #6
    ..
    Last edited by XFaega; 08-18-2010 at 01:47 PM.

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    What about it? Tmobile doesn't have anything to do with Fios Tv content.
    I mean like Apple should partner with T-Mobile for these types of things, not Verizon :P

  10. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Code1125 View Post
    I mean like Apple should partner with T-Mobile for these types of things, not Verizon :P
    I wouldn't really consider Verizon launching an iPad app a "partnership."

    T-Mobile doesn't offer TV service anyway.

  11. #9
    Verizon: "Hey Apple, now that we know each other; Gimme the iPhone!!"
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  12. #10
    i think this the beginning of a long relationship between them..

    two huge companies getting together can only lead to great things

  13. #11
    I don't care if it happens or not. When it's all said and done nobody will be talking about it. What isn't mentioned is the monthly fee, believe there will be a fee that makes it not worth it. The won't even come to your house without you authorizing a $85 charge and the they chars you more when they're done. FIOS isn't all it's cracked up to be, I had several friends that were FIOS techs and got laid off because verizon decided to stop building new plants nationwide until the make back what they lost. It's hard to do when my friend who works in the sales and customer service said there are 3 disconnects for every 1 new subscription cause people are promised free installs and they are getting a $800 bill. Verizon will only lower it to $300 then take you to the magistrate when you cancel and dont pay it. That's what happened to my uncle. What are they gonna do about the download limits for this, if they don't go back to true unlimited ten the app is crap
    Last edited by nosnam; 08-18-2010 at 05:22 PM.

  14. #12
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts

    Where you at at&t?????

  15. #13
    Wish I could try this now I got fios.

  16. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,149
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    Wish I can get FiOS, but because of their limited coverage they do not offer it in my area.

  17. #15
    Green Apple imanono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bikkinni Bottem
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    It will be called, the verizon pad. Nahhh actually it will e called, the v pad.

  18. #16
    Or it will be called iPad that can stream Verizon's TV Lineup. Kinda like how HBO is about to do with their app.

  19. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,826
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    So they are launching an app. Great. The only way you could connect this to a long term relationship is IF Verizon rolls out LTE and gets an iPad contract to stream their TV on it. Otherwise it will be a wifi app only.

  20. #18
    Green Apple havoc0351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Camp Pendleton, CA
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    So they are launching an app. Great. The only way you could connect this to a long term relationship is IF Verizon rolls out LTE and gets an iPad contract to stream their TV on it. Otherwise it will be a wifi app only.
    My thoughts exactly! The only way to view FIOS TV is on the go connected to a WiFi network or at your own house which is just stupid...

  21. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by nosnam View Post
    I don't care if it happens or not. When it's all said and done nobody will be talking about it. What isn't mentioned is the monthly fee, believe there will be a fee that makes it not worth it. The won't even come to your house without you authorizing a $85 charge and the they chars you more when they're done. FIOS isn't all it's cracked up to be, I had several friends that were FIOS techs and got laid off because verizon decided to stop building new plants nationwide until the make back what they lost. It's hard to do when my friend who works in the sales and customer service said there are 3 disconnects for every 1 new subscription cause people are promised free installs and they are getting a $800 bill. Verizon will only lower it to $300 then take you to the magistrate when you cancel and dont pay it. That's what happened to my uncle. What are they gonna do about the download limits for this, if they don't go back to true unlimited ten the app is crap

    Thanks for sharing your personal stories and your thoughts. It's unfortunate, but sometimes we don't tend to think outside the box. We just want the immediate results not thinking through the outcomes..

  22. #20
    Livin the iPhone Life tudtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Foco, Colorado
    Posts
    1,004
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Code1125 View Post
    What about T-Mobile????

    Tmobile service cost is a lot cheaper than verizon and AT&T.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •