Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Axon Logic Rolls Out Hackintosh Tablet

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Axon Logic Rolls Out Hackintosh Tablet

There's a new iPad wannabe on the way. And this one is perhaps more like the iPad than any other would-be iPad killer. In fact, this touch-controlled tablet product from Axon Logic has been rightfully dubbed a 'Hackintosh' by anyone who has ever touched an Apple product. Basically, what we have here is a new tablet PC replete with a stealthy - or "hidden" - EFI partition for a simple OS X install.

The 1.6GHz Atom N270 10-inch tablet delivers the following:

* 2GB Memory
    * 1,024-x-600 resolution
    * 320GB Hard drive
    * 1.3 megapixel webcam
    * Removable battery
    * Built in WiFi
    * 3 USB ports, speaker headphone (and mic) Bluetooth, Ethernet, VGA ports and card reader

According to Axon Logic, "you have the choice of easily choosing which OS you want to boot up to - whether you want Linux one day or Windows the next. Of course, we suspect that you'll be using Darwin the most. We've installed Darwin (kernal and system specific kexts) on a hidden EFI partition. That means you can effortlessly install your favorite Darwin OS, such as Pure Darwin. Just plug in the DVD drive (or Flash Drive), install, and then reboot."

Available now for preorder, this tablet is a controversial offering for sure. As we all know, installing OS X on any product or device that isn't specifically from Apple is a brainless breach of the license agreement. So Axon Logic is "strongly advising against" anyone doing what we all know those with this particular tablet will certainly do.

At the end of the day, I'm not so sure a $750 hackintosh is such a good idea. And it appears I'm not alone in my thinking, given other tablet aficionados/modders I've spoken with today. But wherever there is a tablet of this kind, there will all but certainly be some buyers - we just don't know yet how many. But, chances are, one of the biggest driving factors of initial sales will be the length of time this device is allowed to exist before lawsuits potentially start flying and the Axon Logic hackintosh is possibly gone for good.

Axon Logic

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

that accualy looks pretty good...

Now that is actually a pretty sweet product, i for one would be interested in buying.

i like it. i think i'd rather have an iPad because of the thickness and weight of this thing, but it looks like a good in-between device.

one question comes to mind for me:

you would have to carry around a keyboard at all times to use it? the idea of using snow leopard, windows 7 or ubuntu on a tablet is very intriguing, but i kinda like my dell mini cause it's not much different and has built in keyboard.

would there be an app for having a keyboard that can utilize the touchscreen? if so, I'd give serious thought to buying one of these

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm curious about the keyboard UI also. I didn't think OSX had built in support for a pop-up on screen KB. How would this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'm curious about the keyboard UI also. I didn't think OSX had built in support for a pop-up on screen KB. How would this work?
    I turned my HP TC4400 into a Hackintosh tablet. Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM. In short: it sucks. It was more of a novelty, like, "Hey y'all, watch me move this stylus in OS X..."

The utility I downloaded to achieve touchscreen recognition in OS X is called TabletMagic. There was a big keyboard app, I've forgotten the name of it, but it wasn't very good.

Handwriting recognition in OS X (called Ink) really stinks. It's really not even close to being ready to compete with Windows 7 in terms of touch support.

A HDD really?? That thing will be dead in short order if you try to use the tablet naturally. WTF. A large SDD would do just fine, and would then allow the device to actually be moved and used at the same time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Meinlein For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (08-13-2010)

What's Darwin?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

Halten77 (08-13-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edouble312 View Post
    one question comes to mind for me:

you would have to carry around a keyboard at all times to use it? the idea of using snow leopard, windows 7 or ubuntu on a tablet is very intriguing, but i kinda like my dell mini cause it's not much different and has built in keyboard.

would there be an app for having a keyboard that can utilize the touchscreen? if so, I'd give serious thought to buying one of these
    +1..I love my mini

OSX has the onscreen keyboard built-in. They even changed the layout and made it more 'finger friendly' in 10.6.
    Apple Menu > System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources Tab. Select 'Show Input menu in menu bar'.
    Now from the menu bar click on the keyboard icon and select 'Show Keyboard Viewer' from drop down. Expanded it would work very nicely with finger or stylus input.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

uhmmm.. 750? really? I'll pass

Thanks

It is gonna be hard for this tablet to become an iPad-killer when they are in a risk of a lawsuit.

Mac Mini > Axon Hackintosh Tablet
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    +1 Only people with more money than brains will buy this load.

Thanks

750? i would just buy a dell mini instead for a couple hundered dollars less or buy my sister's dell mini,which she hardly uses...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    +1..I love my mini

W00t go pc loverz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'd definitely buy this if it had an hdmi output and a higher screen resolution, with those kind of specs there's no reason it shouldn't especially at that price, I could buy 2 netbooks for that much

I'd buy this over the iPad just because ofthe USB ports.

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    That's what I said when the iPad came out.

Paying for an oversize iPod. Nah.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    +1 Only people with more money than brains will buy this load.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Teoyaomqui For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (08-16-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast