Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dell to Launch iPad Rival "Streak" This Week

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Dell to Launch iPad Rival "Streak" This Week

In case you missed it during a busy twenty-four hours of Apple and iDevice news, Dell will officially take a shot at Apple's tablet computer dominance this week with the launch of its 5-inch Streak. The tablet will run you $299 with a two-year AT&T contract and nearly double at $549 without a contract.

Although we've known about the forthcoming Dell tablet for months, the reality of its arrival is only now setting in. And according to the Wall Street Journal, Apple shouldn't disregard the new offering due to the runaway popularity of the iPad. The WSJ, in fact, has dubbed the Streak the "the first major competitor" Apple has seen in the tablet marketplace.

Interestingly enough, it's being billed as a tablet despite its rather dinky five-inch screen. Additionally, it can make phone calls, delivers built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a 5-megapixel camera, microSD-expandable memory up to 32GB, turn-by-turn navigation from Google, and available 3G for e-mail, texting, instant messages, and voice calls. The Streak will run Android 1.6.

Preorders for the Dell Streak officially begin tomorrow, August 12th.

Wall Street Journal
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 08-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (08-12-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

sounds like just a phone, but hey more competition=more stress on apple to improve the iPad.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to macsoldier For This Useful Post:

sh33436 (08-12-2010)

hey modmyi community, guess what i just did at my local att store?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lolcats For This Useful Post:

flippy (08-11-2010), t.j (08-12-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

@ Above poster: Everyone and their grandmothers are really impressed...

I got a chance to play with a streak the other day. (I've got some friends that work at Dell here in Austin, Texas)

It basically feels like a psp in the way you hold it, but it is quite responsive and snappy. The thing of it is, I'm not sure which market this device will fit into. As a phone, it seems a little impractical, as you have to fit it into your back pocket if you want any sense of comfort.

But as a tablet, the screen is pwned by the iPad. While its a cool device and everything, I just have a hard time seeing its niche' market.

Still, I say bring on the competition! Lets make Apple feel like it has to work a little harder for all of our money!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grassmasta For This Useful Post:

sh33436 (08-12-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

That is ridiculously big for a cell phone. The HTC 4.3" screens feel bulky in your hand and pocket.. a 5" screen is way to big. I don't see the avg user wanting to carry this around as a phone.

man they need to try harder at it,this garbage big *** phone is not going to beat the ipad or the iphone4 even with the small problem with the iphone4, i don't ever see me getting this or any other Android garbage phone on the market.keep trying hahahahhahahaa.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolcats View Post
    hey modmyi community, guess what i just did at my local att store?

Ya. Lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

It's kinda weird to me, too big to be a phone and yet too small to be a tablet. But despite the oddity of it's size i'd buy it way before an oversized iPod touch (aka the ipad)

It comes with Android 1.6. I probably buy it with Froyo installed.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this is like so stupid (personal opinion) its too big to be a phone, but too small to be a tablet... if you wanna browse the internet on a small *** screen, get an HD2 and run Froyo or Desire with Sence on it, it will be the same, but WAYYY more comfortable.

+1 for the "I don't get it" idea behind this thing.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    It's kinda weird to me, too big to be a phone and yet too small to be a tablet. But despite the oddity of it's size i'd buy it way before an oversized iPod touch (aka the ipad)
    Why? It attempts to provide the same functionality at half the screen size. The only plus is that AT&T subsidizes the cost with a 2-year contract, but do you really want to be locked into a 2-year contract with AT&T with no unlimited data? Unsubsidized, it costs $50.00 more than the base-model iPad ($499).

I still stand by my initial opinion that the iPad is just an overpriced, oversized iPod Touch, even after buying one, but this Dell wannabe makes the iPad look a lot more appealing. It doesn't even come close to making me regret my iPad purchase.

It looks just like a phone, but we said that about the iPad
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I would take a froyo tablet about the size of the iPad. I've always been intrigued by Android OS but I have too much invested into my iPhone to make the switch seem reasonable.

An Android tablet seems like a logical way to experience the OS

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LastSonOfKrypton For This Useful Post:

JimJam707 (08-12-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this as been out about a month over here...and realy its main rival, Tablet wise atleast, is the Archos 5IT

shipping with a 1.X build of android?

what a joke

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

A screen that is only 1/4 the area of the iPad and even lower resolution than an iPhone. This isn't a tablet. It's an MID and not a very good one at that. To top it off it ships with Android 1.6 and a one and a half year old Snapdragon CPU (same exact chip as the HD2). No thanks.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 08-11-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks

It looks like a phone and I doubt it will ride on the iPad's success.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolcats View Post
    shipping with a 1.X build of android?

what a joke
    I know, Every Android shipping now is running 2.1 to 2.2 out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    A screen that is only 1/4 the area of the iPad and even lower resolution than an iPhone. This isn't a tablet. It's an MID and not a very good one at that. To top it off it ships with Android 1.6 and a one and a half year old Snapdragon CPU (same exact chip as the HD2). No thanks.
    It's already way behind the curb, On top of that there is no Tmobile USA 3G support which basically means this phone is stuck on At&t (Which also happens to be the least Android friendly carrier in the U.S.) Really who is going to buy this thing??

Dell Streak = EPIC FAILURE

Would cell phone and computer companies please realize that no high end user wants to buy a mobile device made of plastic? The iPad and iPhone 4 are all glass and metal and they feel good to hold. Nobody wants a cheap plastic screen and plastic back. When companies other than Apple start to get this then I'll buy their products.

On a side note, that Dell phone-table-thing looks like crap. More like "Dell Steak". It'll be eaten by the iPad.
    Last edited by Nielsenius; 08-11-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast