Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: British Army Using iPad to Train Artillery Troops

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default British Army Using iPad to Train Artillery Troops

According to a report on the BBC's website, UK soldiers have begun using the iPad to train them about "fire missions," learning how to set up precision artillery shots several miles away from the target. The story, picked up by AppleInsider, explains how trainees at the British Army's Royal School of Artillery in Wiltshire are learning faster than ever before due to the interactive features of the iPad, and are more interested and engaged than they were when it was just classroom lectures: one soldier talks about how the trainees even use the iPads to set up "little competitions" in the barracks at night.

The custom-built app allows the soldiers to input the information they would get in a real-life situation and use it to calculate a "firing solution:" what angle and direction the artillery piece should be set to in order to reach its target. This is a complex, tedious calculation that can be difficult for young soldiers to learn. The iPad makes it easier for soldiers to practice the skills required because it puts the dry details in a real-world context the trainees can relate to. It saves money on printing materials, makes for a more flexible learning environment and is just flat more fun for the young soldiers than sitting in a classroom listening to a complicated and boring lecture. One trainee told the BBC that "you can take this [iPad] back to the block and practi[c]e with it, even have little competitions with it."

An army training officer involved in rolling out the app to the Royal School said it has been a success, shortening training time, but also said he faced some skepticism from people who though the iPad was just a gimmick that wouldn't be effective. "That was one of the first things we considered and it's not about the gimmicky side of it," said Major Rich Gill. "You can get all the material that you need on there at the right time and it's really mobile as well."

The article also says that the people that put together the artillery app are working on a training system for pilots that will use 3D graphics to train them to identify different types of vehicles from the air.

Source: AppleInsider, image via BBC Newsbeat

Thanks

where do i get that app ?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    1 move to England
    2 become a citizen
    3 join the army
    4 then ask

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

Beastlee (08-01-2010), vinaygoel2000 (08-01-2010)

I think they just said "Custom Built-In App" if public could have that app- nvm just no.

Are you that stupid?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shishir G For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (08-01-2010)

so..... they are playing the old QBasic game Gorillas? Awesome.

Thanks

in the future apple products keep progressing far beyond what they are today and next thing you know they change there name to skynet. i see it now! miles dyson is steve jobs and there not after chips and arms, its ipads and iphones! anybody wanna make a movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

You can move to Britan, join the army, become a good rank, and then ask that question. It also said it's a custom built app. DERRR!

Quote Originally Posted by brbortscheller View Post
    You can move to Britan, join the army, become a good rank, and then ask that question. It also said it's a custom built app. DERRR!
    BRITAIN!! Yeah I hate being that guy but just came home after some shots of god knows what with dinner and seen that post so yeah here I am. Otherwise anything that helps the troops stay motivated is cool

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    Who cares ?
    i do... it shows the potential of newer technology and implementation of new technology into military use...

considering i'm in the military AND in an artillery battalion, i'm a bit interested

Thanks

how would that make me stupid ?
    app is out there if its not in itune there using jailbroken pads

Quote Originally Posted by Shishir G View Post
    I think they just said "Custom Built-In App" if public could have that app- nvm just no.

Are you that stupid?

how would that make me stupid ?
    app is out there if its not in itune there using jailbroken pads
    That is not true. If your a developer you can build an app and transfer it to a locally plugged in iDevice that supports it (regardless of the content of the app). This is how developers test their apps on their available devices. I'm assuming the ipads being used are simply issued with the app already installed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYC0TIC ONE View Post
    i do... it shows the potential of newer technology and implementation of new technology into military use...

considering i'm in the military AND in an artillery battalion, i'm a bit interested
    I am also interested, and I guess he would have been if it was about his country.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amfdfireinside View Post
    so..... they are playing the old QBasic game Gorillas? Awesome.
    Haha I was thinking the same thing. The army as resorted to playing gorillas on an iPad.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

They are all playing Modern Combat ...

Thanks

The iPad has the magic for everything.

This is quite interesting. This is proving that the iPad is not really a gimmick.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassface's Avatar
    Thanks

Also, the US army is practicing their firearm proficiency with the iGun app. lol
    If this was helpful, or even if it gave you a laugh, click the Thanks button!

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

i gotta start training on ipad for call of duty black ops lmao

That's cool and all but if I was training I'd rather use the real thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast