+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Introducing The FridgePad: A Refrigerator Mount for Your iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by Alphaman Uh, 'scuse me, but the iPad 3G does have a compass in it. And magnets do screw it up. Prolonged use of a magnetic mount like
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
    Uh, 'scuse me, but the iPad 3G does have a compass in it. And magnets do screw it up. Prolonged use of a magnetic mount like this might render your compass or surrounding components permanently magnetized and useless.

I've a Marware Eco-Vue and cut the magnets out of it. Sure, I've got a floppy flip stand, but at least I can use my compass.
    Very true... Unless of course it's shielded.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Very true... Unless of course it's shielded.
    "Shielding", as in "electromagnetic shielding", does nothing to stop static magnetic fields. It can only be used for electromagnetic radiation created by an alternating current.

True magnetic shielding can only be created by completely enclosing an object in multiple layers of thick, magnetically permeable material. This would, of course, completely nullify the usability of the iPad, as you wouldn't be able to access it. And it would probably then weigh more than the refrigerator that you're trying to mount it on, and wouldn't fit in the mounting clips of the FridgePad...

Nope, iPads and magnets shouldn't mix. Putting magnets into products with compasses is a Dumb Idea (tm).

(FWIW, although there was an immediate improvement, it took my iPad several hours to restore the compass to normal working order after I cut the magnets out of my Eco-Vue.)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

For 78$ this better be able to hold a fridge on the ipad, not the ipad on a fridge.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquippakid;
    For 78$ this better be able to hold a fridge on the ipad, not the ipad on a fridge.
    I thought that was what the Otterbox was for...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool, I've recensited me too:

SATiQ

Green Apple
    Thanks
    lmao. the things people come up with...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The iPad is useful on a refrigerator door how?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
    "Shielding", as in "electromagnetic shielding", does nothing to stop static magnetic fields. It can only be used for electromagnetic radiation created by an alternating current.

True magnetic shielding can only be created by completely enclosing an object in multiple layers of thick, magnetically permeable material. This would, of course, completely nullify the usability of the iPad, as you wouldn't be able to access it. And it would probably then weigh more than the refrigerator that you're trying to mount it on, and wouldn't fit in the mounting clips of the FridgePad...

Nope, iPads and magnets shouldn't mix. Putting magnets into products with compasses is a Dumb Idea (tm).

(FWIW, although there was an immediate improvement, it took my iPad several hours to restore the compass to normal working order after I cut the magnets out of my Eco-Vue.)
    Good post and wiki quote. I'm no fan of the iPad or a silly refridge mount. But you can shield a magnet. We have devices we use all the time in the airforce that are shielded and our compas are not affected. Not sure of the price but I'm curious so I'll check for my own knowledge. As far as shielding goes, a compass encased in a superconducting box wouldn't read *any* magnetic field, as the earth's would be shielded as well. Do a search online and you will even find sites that show you how to make a he made shield. For my boat compass that has a magnetic base works just fine. But I can say that the darn thing cost me 250 not 78. Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Good post and wiki quote. I'm no fan of the iPad or a silly refridge mount. But you can shield a magnet. We have devices we use all the time in the airforce that are shielded and our compas are not affected. Not sure of the price but I'm curious so I'll check for my own knowledge. As far as shielding goes, a compass encased in a superconducting box wouldn't read *any* magnetic field, as the earth's would be shielded as well. Do a search online and you will even find sites that show you how to make a he made shield. For my boat compass that has a magnetic base works just fine. But I can say that the darn thing cost me 250 not 78. Lol
    Oh, I know that you can sorta do it -- I'm an electrical engineer. Not really a shield like a faraday cage, but a magnetic shunt that absorbs the field, not block it. A good box might get you 98% reduction, but that would not only block the magnets in the mount, but also the Earth's magnetic field! Not that your fridge needs a compass on it. (And it would block the display... Hmmm, not a good idea!)

And yeah, I was exaggerating about it being heavier than the fridge. But still, to mostly protect the compass inside the iPad while still being able to see the display would require a shield bigger than the iPad (it would have to extend past the 4 magnets at the corner mounts), which would really make the fridge mount look pretty dumbass!

I did look around on the web and see one small shield box for about $375, but only the US gov't could buy it on a GSA contract. There aren't too many out there, and none suitable for fridge use! You could hack something together with a few layers of Nu-metal; that would be pretty cheap (and ugly.

My point really was magnets + iPads = bad idea. (I'm still p*d about my Eco-Vue.)

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey where's the one for the toilet!

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    iPad $599, Fridge Crap $79 or Digital Picture Frame $50 .... Whats next magnetic fridge mount for the iPhone?

Maybe just tape an old lap top to your fridge !!!
    Hey I will sell you some "special formula" duct tape to mount your f'in ipad on the back of your old lady so you can use it while you are bumpin"!
    Last edited by thevmax; 07-31-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

"Talk about a "cool" place to use the iPad...."

talk about who cares

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey. I'm still getting that to work. i4/tmob

iPhone? More like MyPhone cookbenj's Avatar
    Thanks

i think its quite cool
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?

what a game

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123