Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bloomberg: RIM to Launch iPad Rival Tablet in November

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Bloomberg: RIM to Launch iPad Rival Tablet in November

Bloomberg is reporting that the people at Research In Motion (makers of the BlackBerry) have plans to introduce a tablet computer into the marketplace this November in an attempt to capture some of the iPad's runaway momentum ahead of the holiday shopping season. Two people "familiar with the companyís plans" tell Bloomberg that the device would be similar to the iPad, at least in terms of its shape and size.

What else might the yet-to-be announced BlackBerry tablet deliver? The individuals who spoke to Bloomberg anonymously confirmed that the forthcoming tablet will include both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technology. Given that the iPad has resonated profoundly with consumers enamored of the device's ability to "bridge the gap between smartphones and notebook computers," the RIM tablet could ultimately very closely resemble the iPad - very closely.

A spokesperson for RIM would not comment on Bloomberg's report.

Although RIM recently secured the rights to "blackpad.com," it isn't yet clear if the registration of this particular domain name suggests what the RIM tablet may be called, but Bloomberg presented the likely prospect of the RIM tablet being called the "BlackPad." What is known, however - at least according to the folks who spoke with Bloomberg - is that the tablet will be optimized for use and integration with the BlackBerry smartphone so that users can tap into RIMís e-mail system and other features.

Bloomberg

Ehh. I want something BETTER than the iPad, not something that's a rip off of it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomeo4000 For This Useful Post:

billmilo (07-30-2010)

^ I agree. This can either bomb as an ipad rip or do great as a unique blackberry-type tablet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wheeltennant For This Useful Post:

awesomeo4000 (07-30-2010)

they should call it garbagepadberry.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeo4000 View Post
    Ehh. I want something BETTER than the iPad, not something that's a rip off of it
    well if you read the story, there going to be doing things with it that the ipad has been getting complaints about.

so i can almost guarantee things like usb ports will be included with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BBR123 View Post
    well if you read the story, there going to be doing things with it that the ipad has been getting complaints about.

so i can almost guarantee things like usb ports will be included with it.
    They said "the RIM tablet could ultimately very closely resemble the iPad - very closely". I did read the story, and made an observation. I have no interest in the iPad because of its limitations and price, but I want something better to come out so that I can get myself a tablet, but based on the quotes from this article this Blackberry probably won't be it

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

first they had window based tablet to compete, thats was a failure, second blackberry is trying to make tablet. oh look i click when you press me nd i tend to freeze nd i load 30 min before i boot up.

FAILURE

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

two months later, the trackball will stop scrolling to the sides LOL

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

we need something better than the Ipad so Apple can make an Awesome Ipad

12. The Following User Says Thank You to macsoldier For This Useful Post:

kuhndsn (07-30-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

These companies have lost their inovative thinking. They need to move foward and not try and stay on the heals of apple. The iPhone was revolutionary. Companies need to get off their let's copy attitude and show/give us consumers something new. Even the phone market has copied Apple. HTC MOT RIM AND NOKIA. Come on guys you use to be the leaders now your trying to play catch-up with devices that are subpar... RIM beat out sales in 4Q against the iPhone this I am sure will not last if business start switching their company devices over to the iPhone. Pretty sad really.

For me the iPad is ok. My iPhone does what it can do and more. How about iPad that is a mobile hub/base station/server ect... Oh yeah Cydia :-).
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 07-30-2010 at 11:20 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kuhndsn For This Useful Post:

cartman13 (07-30-2010)

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its lame that people wait for something to be invented, wait for people to complain, and then make something that exactly the same but with the fixes.

I think it's funny that so many companies end up copying Apple whenever they come out with a new, innovative product. The same thing has happened to the iPhone with all of the "iPhone killers". Apple is growing and has loyal customers for a reason: they think about the future.

With that said, the BlackPad (or whatever it will be called) could end up being a huge success for RIM. For this to happen, however, they will need to make it different and in some ways better than the iPad. If the BlackPad is innovative and does certain things better than the iPad I would certainly consider buying one... that is, if I didn't already own an iPad.

Thanks

Make something new rather than trying to exploit the iPad's success.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    Make something new rather than trying to exploit the iPad's success.
    Exactly. RIM is a huge company they can do better than copy print and sell. Companies need to go back to basics and poll consumers to see what they would like to see (possibly start with Treckies lol). Apple did that with the iPod and hasn't stopped growing since. Apple has in a since renamed the term mp3 player to iPod.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    two months later, the trackball will stop scrolling to the sides LOL
    LoL

Thanks

Oh and APPLE if your listening how about a magnetic Charger/cable and built in Induction plate for the next gen iPhones, MBP and ipads?

Seriously, people are getting tired of these iphone killer, ipad killer. They all r just junk

BlackBerry pad... it will fail. They can't even produce a phone that anybody wants to own... at least outside of an Exchange environment.
    Really?

I agree with most of the sentiment here. PalmPad or BlackPad...where is originality anymore? Considering it took Apple years to get the iPad ready for consumers this has all the feelings of "cashing in" on a hot product.

So lets see, January is when the iPad was announced. That gives RIM maybe six to seven months of research/development/testing before ramping up for production. Actually maybe even less considering they might not have even begun to develop their iPad version until after the iPad was released in April to big sales. Most of these companies don't want to take chances anymore and seem willing to following Apple's lead. I want competition but I also want something different. I don't want to see Apple clones everywhere.

The question for Blackberry now is will their BlackPad have a physical keyboard and stylus.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

^ exactly. Might as well buy on the black-market Anymore companies seem to be riding apple for innovation. Getting a little rediculas really... I mean the whole reason why I switched to a macpro last month was because of crap like this. To boot the Sony high end laptop with win 7 that I bought was just crap. 2K for a machine that was less quality than the macro I bought to replace this horrible purchase. Tired of the status quo and sub par hardware (plastic at best). Apple also won me over a few yrs in the mp3 market. I'm no apple fan boy and always consider other products. But come on it seems like everything has gone APPLE and everything else to buy is a clone that doesn't work as well. I hope for us consumers that a company decides to step up and give Apple a true run for their money and not some half a** ikiller...
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 07-30-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast