+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Responds to Allegations of "Intentional Product Shortages"

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
On more than one occasion, more than just a few MMi readers and contributors have speculated on our forums that Apple could very well be supporting intentional product shortages -
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,615
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Apple Responds to Allegations of "Intentional Product Shortages"



    On more than one occasion, more than just a few MMi readers and contributors have speculated on our forums that Apple could very well be supporting intentional product shortages - that is, knowingly producing fewer iDevices than necessary to meet current demand and, therefore, drive demand even further.

    Well, if you missed it during all the hoopla surrounding the release of Apple's rock 'em sock 'em 3rd quarter earnings late yesterday afternoon, executives in Cupertino were put on the spot during the earnings conference call and bluntly asked if supplies can't keep up with demand because that's the way Apple prefers it to be. It was Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray who finally pushed Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook into the admission (one that some will, naturally, still doubt the validity of) that Apple is doing everything it can to work with parts suppliers to make as many iDevices as consumers want in the fastest time possible.

    "We do not purposely create a shortage for buzz," Cook told Munster. "We are selling every unit we can make," he said. Ultimately, Cook pointed to the iPad and its unexpected sales success as the biggest culprit for supply shortages. Ahead of the product's release, Apple planned to mass produce one million iPads per month. Even with such an aggressive initial product run, the company manged to consistently eat through supply reserves, selling 3.27 million iPads in the quarter of the tablet's release.

    Apple Insider

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    louort3 (07-21-2010), reaves205 (07-21-2010)

  3. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Apple is perfect. They never do anything wrong.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to billmilo For This Useful Post:

    whsnnnd (07-21-2010)

  5. #3
    Green Apple tremerone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bathroom stall
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    OR....they are secretly fixing all of the phones, and it's a good opportunity with the white iphone 4 release! Fix em and ship em. Then wait for the next batch, fix em and ship em.

  6. #4
    Mes
    Mes is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,025
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 788 Times in 731 Posts

    While it is always a good marketing ploy to generate 'buss' with a perceived and/or manufactured shortage ---- Apple products have consistently out-sold expectations. Far more than analysts thought, far more than I ever expected.

    For sure, Apple makes great products. They always have.

    I only wish they would relax their absolute control and give more consumers a greater opportunity to use their iDevice like they want to use it, not just how Apple wants us to use it.

    They can have their cake and eat it too!

  7. #5
    Go Giants whereswaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,382
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 359 Times in 257 Posts

    What do you want them to say? "Yes we made a shortage so we could take less peoples money"

  8. #6
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts

    That shortage nonsense is made up by fools who want to create a buzz. That BS story should be put to rest already.

  9. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    What do you want them to say? "Yes we made a shortage so we could take less peoples money"
    my wife got her i4 on launch day, I wanted the white one so I "waited" until its expected "release date" that came and went so I ordered a black one, two weeks into waiting for my phone, I get an email telling me that my order was canceled !!

    they are holding back but not to make less money but to fix the antennae issue.

  10. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I would just like to say that i have purchased every one of apple's iPod touch and iPhone products since the original iPhone, and each one has had their own problems, but none like the iPhone 4. I am truly disappointed in Apple's quality (as well as quantity) and overall handle on this situation.

    I purchased my iPhone 4 a few days ago and the day i open it out of the box and plug it in to iTunes it is in restore mode, instead of the usual mode its new products are in. So i restore to a opy of the 4.0 firmware (hoping to eventually jailbreak) but it gives me an error. So i figure what the heck ill just update. Again an error. So i try about 20 more times 20 different ways with no luck. SO the next day I drive 2 hours to my nearest apple store and luckily for me they had a replacement. I go home with a new iphone.

    So the same day I open it up, sync it, activate it, and call my buddy to try out the face time. But he cant hear me. Microphones broken. I call apple support, they say its a hardware issue blah blah blah. So i got 3 options, drive 2 hours to an apple store and hope for a new one, for 30$ i can order one and have it in 48 hours, or send min in and they see if they can fix it (appox. 10 business days).

    But i gotta have a phone for my job and because of the new sim cards i cant just switch back to my 3gs. So i call in sick the next day, drive to an apple store, they dont have any i order one for 30 dollars, they ask for the broken one i have now, i give it to them they check the box. ooops left my usb cable at home. Can't return it with out a usb cable. WTF i have a draw with at least 30 of those damn things in my house but thats 2 hours away and im not looking to drive 6 more hours just to get rid of this damn phone so i spend another 30 bucks to buy a new goddamn cable at the store just so i can return the stupid piece of crap for the second time. Im just hoping the third times the charm.
    Last edited by bobymicjohn; 07-21-2010 at 10:07 AM.

  11. #9
    iPhoneaholic southfrisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 43 Times in 37 Posts

    It is only business. Obviously they are going to err on the side of caution and produce conservative numbers of their products. This is also what they do with earnings estimates on Wall Street.

    Undercut to sell more. You don't want to be a Palm or Kin where you produce far more devices than sell. You are wasting money (not earning it) this way by housing the unsold merchandise. Not to mention the company being out the costs to manufacture said unsold devices.
    Last edited by southfrisco; 07-21-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Grammar edit
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

  12. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,001
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 515 Times in 379 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bobymicjohn View Post
    I would just like to say that i have purchased every one of apple's iPod touch and iPhone products since the original iPhone, and each one has had their own problems, but none like the iPhone 4. I am truly disappointed in Apple's quality (as well as quantity) and overall handle on this situation.

    I purchased my iPhone 4 a few days ago and the day i open it out of the box and plug it in to iTunes it is in restore mode, instead of the usual mode its new products are in. So i restore to a opy of the 4.0 firmware (hoping to eventually jailbreak) but it gives me an error. So i figure what the heck ill just update. Again an error. So i try about 20 more times 20 different ways with no luck. SO the next day I drive 2 hours to my nearest apple store and luckily for me they had a replacement. I go home with a new iphone.

    So the same day I open it up, sync it, activate it, and call my buddy to try out the face time. But he cant hear me. Microphones broken. I call apple support, they say its a hardware issue blah blah blah. So i got 3 options, drive 2 hours to an apple store and hope for a new one, for 30$ i can order one and have it in 48 hours, or send min in and they see if they can fix it (appox. 10 business days).

    But i gotta have a phone for my job and because of the new sim cards i cant just switch back to my 3gs. So i call in sick the next day, drive to an apple store, they dont have any i order one for 30 dollars, they ask for the broken one i have now, i give it to them they check the box. ooops left my usb cable at home. Can't return it with out a usb cable. WTF i have a draw with at least 30 of those damn things in my house but thats 2 hours away and im not looking to drive 6 more hours just to get rid of this damn phone so i spend another 30 bucks to buy a new goddamn cable at the store just so i can return the stupid piece of crap for the second time. Im just hoping the third times the charm.
    That's just crap luck, it was quite funny to read. Though I wouldn't be laughing if I was in your situation!!

  13. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts

    Either way the products are still great, there will always be a demand a high demand at that for the main line in APPLE. I say let them do this the right way by learning from there mistake ( releasing without ample testing ) and then mass produce and everybody is happy I mean heck could you imagine if they screwed up anything else with the white Iphone or still had antenna issues coming off the racks, this would cost apple a crap load of money for cases and bumpers and refunds would just keep rolling in. I say let them take there time a product of this stature needs to be done the right way this time.

    yea i agree id be pissed off too, hope third time is a charm.
    Last edited by macsoldier; 07-21-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  14. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Yeah I'm still waiting on mine. Hoping I don't get the shaft! I went to a Best Buy mobile store with my friend so he could pick up his new Droid X and they had a surplus of iPhone 4 there! I was like WTF. They just had them available to anyone, they weren't to fill orders or anything, just chilling for anyone who walked in and asked about them. Why couldn't I get one since I've already paid for it at my ATT store??
    Johnny
    iPhone 4 (7/15/10)
    iPhone 3G (7/11/08 - 7/1/10)

  15. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    And next year when the next epic most perfect geniusly innovated iPhone 5 comes out, and they are spending millions and millions on advertising and boasting that it will be the best ever, and everybody in the world will be wanting one and lining up 6 months prior to get it......... Apple will still have a shortage and not produce enough and claim once again they were caught by surprise. Really Apple? After all these years of epic sales and record revenues you're still caught by surprise? Give me a break. I find it both offensive and laughable when a company can pretend its consumers are complete idiots.

  16. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In All of Your Hearts
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 125 Times in 117 Posts

    Yeh iv been waiting for mine for what seems like forever (a week) and i talked to att and they said it should ship by the end of the month. If i get a canceled email i going to go crazy. I also think the three week expected delivery does have something to do with trying to fix the antenna problem. I could care less i want my phone now!!
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

  17. #15
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SC California
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts

    Availability ... The only reason I live in the US

  18. #16
    My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    529
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    And next year when the next epic most perfect geniusly innovated iPhone 5 comes out, and they are spending millions and millions on advertising and boasting that it will be the best ever, and everybody in the world will be wanting one and lining up 6 months prior to get it......... Apple will still have a shortage and not produce enough and claim once again they were caught by surprise. Really Apple? After all these years of epic sales and record revenues you're still caught by surprise? Give me a break. I find it both offensive and laughable when a company can pretend its consumers are complete idiots.
    I think the jump from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 is going to be like the jump from the 3G to the 3GS. There aren't many more new "features" they'd be likely to implement at this point. I think the main focus will be on a new source of power rather than the battery we're used to.

  19. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    What kind of power source?

  20. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    686
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts

    well im still waiting on release date of the white iphone 4 so i can join the new iphone 4 family my 3G just looks like an old dinosaur lol

  21. #19
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I ordered mine on the 17th...and will probably be waiting forever. this is ridiculous. If they are fixing the problem, they should let us know. Then maybe consumer reports will recommend the iphone 4 and I probably wouldnt be this upset. The end of the month? UGH!!

  22. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    And next year when the next epic most perfect geniusly innovated iPhone 5 comes out, and they are spending millions and millions on advertising and boasting that it will be the best ever, and everybody in the world will be wanting one and lining up 6 months prior to get it......... Apple will still have a shortage and not produce enough and claim once again they were caught by surprise. Really Apple? After all these years of epic sales and record revenues you're still caught by surprise? Give me a break. I find it both offensive and laughable when a company can pretend its consumers are complete idiots.
    And you are going to buy the extra phones if they dont' sell out? Of course they want to produce at a shortage. Who wants to be left with surplus inventory. As a company why would you gear up production volumes for initial launch when the actual volumes will be much lower after the initial launch. They make very calculated decisions on how much capacity to bring on board. Capacity costs money so they weigh that against lost customers due to long waits. They are running a business, not a public service.

    Of course that douche bag schumer might disagree.

    But the real question is, did you buy an iPhone 4?

    Cause if you did then give ME a break, cause they just offended you, slapped you in the face, laughed at you and you said, thank you sir, may i have another!
    Last edited by cartman13; 07-21-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: my spelling is worse than a 3rd graders
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts