+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Will Most Likely Not Charge for iOS 4 iPad Upgrade

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Will Most Likely Not Charge for iOS 4 iPad Upgrade

This one may seem like a no-brainer, but Apple Insider today pointed yet again to a persistent rumor that has plagued the forthcoming arrival of iOS 4 for the iPad. It's a rumor-mill original that has been around since the operating system (and its name-change) were officially unveiled in late spring. The allegation maintains that Apple is not only considering, but planning to make iPad owners upgrade to the iPad iOS 4 later this fall (at a price) upon its release.

Just today, Stuff.TV blasted the rumor to the tech community yet again with a headline reading "Apple to charge for iPad iOS 4 upgrade." The "source" indicates to the website that Apple's plan is, indeed, "definite." Then again, how many "definite" moves by Apple have been hyped in theory without ever manifesting in reality?

As if it wasn’t bad enough having to wait months to get the iOS 4 update on the iPad, Stuff.tv can reveal that Apple now plans to charge for the software bump.
    This information is based on what a "source" had allegedly revealed to the folks at Stuff.TV. While "sources" can sometimes get the inside scoop on major developments and internal happenings at Apple, this claim blatantly contradicts Apple's licensing agreement, which says that iPad owners will receive free of charge the next major software update. Last month, during the unveiling of Apple's iAds platform, it was suggested that iOS 4 would reach the iPad, most likely, sometime in November.

If there is, however, any vestige of truth to this report, it could be that future iPad iOS upgrades will come at a charge, as nothing is guaranteed in writing by Apple behind the iOS 4's iPad unveiling. Of course, that potential move would represent a stark contrast to Apple's usual operating procedure in rolling out software updates for hardware owners, although many of us will recall in displeasure certain cost-added software releases for the iPod touch.

Stuff.TV

Apple Insider
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 07-20-2010 at 10:17 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (07-24-2010), reaves205 (07-20-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After paying £429 for my iPad apple can get f**k if they think I'm paying for a update I will just wait for some clever mods to crack it like they did with the iPod touch and 2.0

Thanks

This again

iPod touch finally got free update. Now Apple will take the advantage of the ipad's users. iPad users is not gonna be happy about this.
    Last edited by tudtran; 07-20-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tudtran For This Useful Post:

sony83 (07-20-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you kidding? It's like Windows charing me for Service Pack 2, what kind of crap is that?
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zinjen For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (07-22-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not to worried...just wait till a ipsw comes down from someone else and upgrade for free

9. The Following User Says Thank You to romeoz For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (07-22-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Guys... this is like 2 months away from being released! Stop complaining about a rumor.

Previously known as psuskeels
    Thanks

I believe if you read the purchase/license agreement - all iPad users are entitled to one free major OS upgrade. Every iPad user will receive an upgrade to 4.0 free. Please update the post accordingly.
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to skeels For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (07-20-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Are you kidding? It's like Windows charing me for Service Pack 2, what kind of crap is that?
    Well apple charged for Leopard service pack 1 aka Snow Leopard so why would this be any different

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    I believe if you read the purchase/license agreement - all iPad users are entitled to one free major OS upgrade. Every iPad user will receive an upgrade to 4.0 free. Please update the post accordingly.
    Of course all iPad users will get one free major OS upgrade, if not more than one. This site, just like 9to5, and other blog sites all now post BS, FUD, rumors, and all sorts of other crap just to get hits. There's no journalism in these sites.

Thanks

They normally charge for big software updates, I was surprised they didn't for 4.0 on the IPhone

h2a
    Thanks

i paid $1299 for my MacBook Pro and i still get charged for major Mac OS X releases. Why should iOS be any different beyond the first free upgrade as noted in the license agreement?

Green Apple
    Thanks

oops

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    They normally charge for big software updates, I was surprised they didn't for 4.0 on the IPhone
    Now I know you're clueless and/or full of crap. Apple doesn't usually charge for major iOS upgrades. They never charged for any iPhone upgrades and they only charged for 2.0 on iPods touch

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Now I know you're clueless and/or full of crap. Apple doesn't usually charge for major iOS upgrades. They never charged for any iPhone upgrades and they only charged for 2.0 on iPods touch
    because the iphone is on a subscription based model and the iPod touch is not, just to expand on that a bit.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If apple charged to upgrade to 4.0 would that mean it'd be unfair for them to have apps in the appstore that require 4.0? Just wondering

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

this will suck for ipad users but i am sure they will still upgrade anyway

Thanks

read the agreement idiots, it's free for the next update. plus I bought a $2000 computer form apple but I'm going to have to pay for 10.7. Life isn't free. get over it.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Actually its more like Microsoft charging to go from Vista to 7... I'm just sayin

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

It gives apple wiggle room to either charge or put the for free stamp on it, we all know apple doesnt charge like Microsoft does so I don't see that being an argument, just look at the running systems, Next if they were to charge for 4.0 I couldn't see it costing that much. who knows for sure....

Thanks
    Some people are pretty clueless.

Apple already announced iOS 4 for iPad is free in one of the keynote speeches.