Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OLED iPad Rumors Keep Coming

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default OLED iPad Rumors Keep Coming

Rumors about an iPad with an active-matrix organic LED (OLED) screen have been around since before the device's launch, but they don't seem to be going away. This time, it's a pretty specific report in the East Asia technology publication DigiTimes. According to their industry clairvoyants, who have a hit-or-miss track record so far, the next generation of the device will come in three sizes, with the smaller models equipped with high-quality OLED screens, and will hit stores in time for the holidays.

As AppleInsider notes in their coverage of the report, DigiTimes did incorrectly predict last year that there would be an OLED version of the iPad with a street price of $2,000 US. Similarly, pundits like Gizmodo's Brian Lam were reporting "insider" claims of 10-inch OLED screens on the Apple tablet as early as August 2009. So there is ample reason to discount these reports as more random buzz.

However, the price of OLEDs has fallen with increased supply, as Samsung and LG, the main suppliers, have been going into overdrive producing the thin screens. Prices are poised to drop even further as Apple goes shopping and promises multi-million unit orders for the popular iPad. While IPS displays are a more mature technology, power draw and color gamut, as well as viewing angles, are better on OLED screens. With the iPad more geared towards video and e-books, Apple will be looking for industry-leading graphics. And having built fat margins into the iPad already, Apple may be willing to eat more of the added cost of the improved screens to keep prices down.

According to DigiTimes, the second generation iPad will be available with the current 9.7-inch IPS screen as well as with 7-inch and 5.6-inch OLED displays. Late night TV hosts who snickered about the iPad name are no doubt going to have even more fun if Apple comes out with a "mini" one.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (07-13-2010)

Thanks

Maybe next year.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 07-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I really hope the next gen iPads have some sort of retina display. After enjoying the crispness and beauty of the iPhone 4s display, I can't imagine using anything less.

Exactly we need a Retina for it after looking at my iPhone for and then looking at my iPad i can see every pixel on the screen its horrible.

Double resolution in the same amount of space won't happen with LEDs for a long, long time. 2048x1536 would be crazy! I don't get why they are using OLEDs instead of real LEDs. These OLEDs don't last that long.

Thanks

why would they make one with a 5.6" screen? they could call it the iphone2X4 since it will be about twice the size of an iphone! will be interesting to see if its true and hopefully these will have a price drop with them so maybe i can gets me one
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

I believe all we'll see in the next iPad is a Retina display, and a frontward facing camera. What else does it need?

I need my iPhone 4 reception fixed...forget ipads!! And stop deletin my post....

This is the iPad forum, what do you expect?

i think the size they have now is perfect i would release a smaller screen one

Livin the iPhone Life deathbybunnies6's Avatar
    Thanks

My Themes

HTC HD2 HTC 1 HTC Sensation

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    i think the size they have now is perfect i would release a smaller screen one
    Yeh, that would be awes....oh wait, it's called the iPod touch.

I really hope the 2nd gen iPad has an OLED or AMOLED Retina Display.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

i won't buy the iPad until they add a front facing cam. would be nice if they also add the retina display.

minipad hahahahahahaahaha.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

If they make a new iPad, I don't care that much of the size, but they really need a Retina display. The iPhone 4 is great but the iPad.....pretty blurry.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i would be highly jelous if they did come out with a OLED, being that i just purchased a ipad not too long ago

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    i won't buy the iPad until they add a front facing cam. would be nice if they also add the retina display.
    apple just might as well start to put front and back cameras in everything they make.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

I find it funny how the iPad is behind the iPhone on many frontiers, it needs to play catch-up

Thanks

I hope somebody left an prototype iPad in bar again.

Thanks

If the next gen iPad is good, then I might consider this.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast