+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft to Ignite iPad Competition with "Hardcore" Attention on Tablets

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Microsoft to Ignite iPad Competition with "Hardcore" Attention on Tablets

At the Worldwide Partners Conference in Seattle, Steve Ballmer (the Microsoft chief pictured flatteringly above) said his company is more than just serious about getting into the tablet computer marketplace. In fact, it's downright "hardcore" about the matter. And, as a result, Microsoft will soon unveil a fleet of Windows 7-based slate computers.

Expressing the broad range of choices consumers will have when shopping for a Microsoft tablet computer - a tongue-in-cheek- shot at Apple, Ballmer contends that Microsoft will make a tablet that nicely accommodates all of your multimedia and serves as a mobile entertainment system. But it will also be a product capable of thriving in professional and corporate settings as the ultimate boardroom companion.

Steve Ballmer expressed his company's ambitions like this:

We want to give you a great device, a consumer oriented device, but a device that fits and is manageable with today’s enterprise IT solutions… This is a terribly important area for us. It’s certainly an area where—how do I say it?—we feel all of the energy and vigor and push that we have ever felt to innovate, to drive hard, to compete.
    All signs now point to a forthcoming push by Microsoft into the tablet arena. And while Ballmer stayed clear of any iPad competition talks, Microsoft has its sights set on taking down the iPad within a marketplace it solely dominates at present. And if it proves to be more consumer and IT department-friendly than its Apple rival, the slate of Microsoft slates could quickly turn the tablet market on its ear with the arrival of a new and major player.

Crunch Gear

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Halten77 (07-12-2010), reaves205 (07-12-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hopefully the Microsoft does something more than what a cell phone does

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clarky8 For This Useful Post:

brbortscheller (07-12-2010), Who_Dat (07-12-2010)

Thanks

It would be kinda sad to see a tablet from microsoft...just because im pretty sure it wouldnt compare to the ipad...like a big *** zune

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

It's Nice To Know That There Will Be Windows 7-Based Tablets Put There. I Just Really Hope They Operate With Great Speed, And That They Have The Power To Work As A Regular PC: Installing .Exe's and Other various programs. Just a Complete Windows 7 PC, In a tablet form. *Crosses Fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by scooby4 View Post
    It would be kinda sad to see a tablet from microsoft...just because im pretty sure it wouldnt compare to the ipad...like a big *** zune
    As long as I said above, just a complete Windows 7 OS capable of installing programs, basically a PC in a tablet outfit, this would be awesome, as long as it has great speed and user interface. I've been using PC's all my life and Windows Is My Preferred OS
    Last edited by Halten77; 07-12-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Halten77 For This Useful Post:

PAKIS-RULEZ (07-12-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It couldn't happen soon enough for me. I want a tablet, but not an iPad. I can't see myself happy with its limitations.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The challenge will be battery life. A full fledged windows OS requires a LOT of processing power and at least 2GB RAM. The windows based tablets we've seen have been functional but only a few hours of battery life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Thus the biggest reason I don't want an iPad. It's a glorified touch. If I could do all computer oriented things with the device I would buy one in a heartbeat

Thanks

That picture is fugly
    EDM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The challenge will be battery life. A full fledged windows OS requires a LOT of processing power and at least 2GB RAM. The windows based tablets we've seen have been functional but only a few hours of battery life.
    Agreed, but there have to be some trade offs. I would much rather have a beast with which I can do whatever I want and have to charge it more than an iPad. I am already living the "where's an outlet" routine with my 3GS. I charge it a couple of times a day.

Green Apple
    Thanks

o god his tongue is vile.
    eyebleach plz.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Yah cause the Kin did so well when they decided to make a phone, too.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (07-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteed View Post
    Thus the biggest reason I don't want an iPad. It's a glorified touch. If I could do all computer oriented things with the device I would buy one in a heartbeat
    Exactly My Point, I Hope That Will Be A Reality Soon Enough

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    This Is A Critical Problem, And If It Does What I Wish, Like Any Regular Computer, Install Programs, Run Flash, Java, Etc. This Baby Would Struggle To Last For Atleast 2 Hours. Maybe It Could Work Like Laptops And Hook Up The Charging Cable Onto It And Running On Wall Power, And Only Use The Battery When You Need To Go Out Of The House! This Would Be Great.
    Last edited by Halten77; 07-12-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my iPhone 4, loved my iPhone 3G, and feel that apple has had the drop on all other handheld device developers out there. But, I think they really opened themselves up for massive competition in the tablet market. The iPad is (as mentioned above) a glorified iPod touch... that doesn't even fit in my pocket. Apple had the chance to be the first to market with the first "real" attempt to make a tablet that was so amazing that it would be a "game changer" as the iPhone or iPod was. Instead, their attempt feels almost lazy. I look forward to another powerhouse (like Windows) to come to market with something a little more powerful and a lot less limited. I will gladly sacrifice a 10-hour battery life for more "oomph". If nothing else, it may make Apple snap to it and make a better product in the future (like all of the Droids have done for the iPhone).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to j.eck.art.3d For This Useful Post:

sh33436 (07-13-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Uh huh. The biggest Windows 7 tablet / slate release was cancelled (HP). Microsoft needs to wake up and realize you can't get 10 hour battery life out of an x86 based tablet (which is need for Windows 7). They need another OS just for mobile devices (Windows Phone 7).

Thanks

I Was Looking At WindPad By MSI Running Windows 7 Ultimate. That Thing Was Sooooooo Slow. I Hope This Isn't The Case For Official WinTablets. Oh My God, Can't Stop Thinking About A Fully Functional Windows PC In A Tablet. Oh...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Halten77 For This Useful Post:

PAKIS-RULEZ (07-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    It's Nice To Know That There Will Be Windows 7-Based Tablets Put There. I Just Really Hope They Operate With Great Speed, And That They Have The Power To Work As A Regular PC: Installing .Exe's and Other various programs. Just a Complete Windows 7 PC, In a tablet form. *Crosses Fingers*

As long as I said above, just a complete Windows 7 OS capable of installing programs, basically a PC in a tablet outfit, this would be awesome, as long as it has great speed and user interface. I've been using PC's all my life and Windows Is My Preferred OS
    I kno...i read it too man, i mean it sounds a lil hard to use...maybe lol...but i imagine the whole ui not being as nice as the ipads...and if you saw mah info you would see i run windows...and its my prefferd platform too...i would never go buy a mac...only use a mac at school cuz we got too

Thanks

Doesn't Microsoft Own Android OS? If so. They can make a pretty decent tablet with a decent mobile OS. But I wouldn't like it if they did that. Windows 7 On a Tablet Running Smoothly, That's My Dream Come True, And With Decent Battery Life

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Uh huh. The biggest Windows 7 tablet / slate release was cancelled (HP). Microsoft needs to wake up and realize you can't get 10 hour battery life out of an x86 based tablet (which is need for Windows 7). They need another OS just for mobile devices (Windows Phone 7).
    I think windows bought Palm.

Thanks

@Scooby4, I Know Lol. I Just Hope It Becomes A Reality! As For The UI, I Hope It Would Be Like Any Other PC Or Laptop Running Windows 7.... The Desktop, Taskbar, Widgets On The Right, And The Start Button. Just A Replica On A Tablet. With Nice And Recognizable UI.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I think windows bought Palm.
    Negative. HP Bought Palm. Surprise! Microsoft Should Worry... That's Some Rought N' Tough Competition Right There
    Last edited by Halten77; 07-12-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Whatever happened to microsoft canceling their tablet plans

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast