+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft to Ignite iPad Competition with "Hardcore" Attention on Tablets

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos Microsoft isn't going to go after the iPad half-cocked. They will bring it. Just like they did when they went after the iPod and iPhone? There's
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Microsoft isn't going to go after the iPad half-cocked. They will bring it.
    Just like they did when they went after the iPod and iPhone?

There's a very good reason the iPad isn't running a full OS and you'll all see exactly why when you first touch a Windows based tablet.

If you want all the functionality of a laptop, buy a laptop. That's not what iPad is supposed to be, and as companies desperate for market share try to copy it, they'll begin to learn that.

I just got back from a weekend camping. On my iPad I watched two movies, read an entire book, stayed in contact with work and kept my kid entertained on both of the 3 hour drives and at intervals throughout the weekend and my battery was over 40% when I got home.

No way in hell I'm giving that up for 1.5 hours of flash and overall terrible performance.

The only things I use on my laptop any more are Final Cut and GarageBand and I can't really see a need for either of those things on a tablet.

I'm curious what people think they're missing (other than the much talked Flash) from the iPad experience.
    Last edited by ClerkDante; 07-12-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks

At least, Microsoft is acting fast on the iPad. They waited five years before created the Zune to responded to the iPod.

Thanks

limited? what can't you do on your ipad? let's see. i can play music, watch movies, read ebooks, play games, remotely connect to linux, macs and windows computers, surf the web, send and receive email, stream video, edit photos, draw, paint, work with a word processor, work with a spreadsheet, view maps, get directions, put together a presentation, play on-line games against people from around the world, instant message, send and receive SMS messages, hook up to IRC servers, voice chat, read electronic magazines, comics and PDF files.

limited..? only thing i think that's limited is your opinion.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scooby4 View Post
    It would be kinda sad to see a tablet from microsoft...just because im pretty sure it wouldnt compare to the ipad...like a big *** zune
    I've had 3 Zunes so far, and I must say they're f****** awesome. Especially the ZuneHD. It's a shame it hasn't gained any momentum in the market, because the features put the iTouch to shame. The only thing it's currently missing is a vast marketplace open to developers. It's in the works, from what I read last.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    There's a very good reason the iPad isn't running a full OS and you'll all see exactly why when you first touch a Windows based tablet.
    i hate to point this out, but the iPad runs a full BSD based unix kernel just like the MacOS does. it is a "full OS." don't confuse the springboard with an operating system, it's just an application launcher. iOS is no less an operating system than the MacOS, Windows or Linux.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scottjl For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (07-12-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    i hate to point this out, but the iPad runs a full BSD based unix kernel just like the MacOS does. it is a "full OS." don't confuse the springboard with an operating system, it's just an application launcher. iOS is no less an operating system than the MacOS, Windows or Linux.

Looks like we got us a FanBoy...lol. I bought an iPad and returned it. It's a nice toy but flawed in the real world. It's biggest flaw you ask? The inability to upload files to my on-line class. Bye Bye iPad.

Microsoft on the other hand, is all talk and no action. They are so far behind it's almost comical.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
    -Einstein

Thanks

Hmm...

Windows 7 Ultimate on a tablet

Results:
    One hour of battery life
    Application crashes
    Blue Screen of Death
    It won't even boot up.

Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    Hmm...

Windows 7 Ultimate on a tablet

Results:
    One hour of battery life
    Application crashes
    Blue Screen of Death
    It won't even boot up.

Don't forget error reports

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Don't forget error reports
    Whoops. And that, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

But, But can I play WoW or FFXI on it, huh, huh?1!!!1!!!!

Thanks

If you're lucky enough to have your tablet not crashing...

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand why people buy an iPad, return it, and then complain about what it couldn't do and call it a "toy". Do you not research before you buy?
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
    Second, I wouldnt jump on buying the windows tablet due to them always having alot of issues with bugs and expensive running systems, My opinion overall Apple keeps it simple, this would force apple to step it up and Id love to see what they would counter microsoft with, this is def worth following.
    Not to toss dirt on your point, but based on my experience with two generations of Macbook Pro's, thousands of iPhone 4 death grip issues and OSX virus/bug issues popping up all over the place, I think its safe to say that moving to windows would be a sideways step at the worst. There is no Apple pedestal anymore.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    Not to toss dirt on your point, but based on my experience with two generations of Macbook Pro's, thousands of iPhone 4 death grip issues and OSX virus/bug issues popping up all over the place, I think its safe to say that moving to windows would be a sideways step at the worst. There is no Apple pedestal anymore.
    That one is new to me. I do see the occasional malware but that stuff is installed with the user's permission by putting in their admin password.
    Last edited by Cer0; 07-12-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks

That pic of the Micro$oft dweeb is f*ckin hilarious! I had to register just to say thanks for making me laugh so hard.

HARDCORE! Yeah buddy, attack that sh1t! Attack that iPad sh1t!

Microsoft sucks so bad...

Thanks

I'm glad I bought my iPad, but I still find myself having to drag my iPad and laptop both to work with me. I think it would be pretty cool if Microsoft could come up with a decent tablet that could run Windows and Windows Apps at decent speeds, decent memory, and a good long lasting battery life. Not to mention, it would be awesome if they added USB ports.

The iPad's biggest fail is that it's only limited to the apps in the app store, and there's no USB port either. If the iPad had a USB port, it would solve a lot of issues for me, that make me have to drag around my iPad and laptop.

If Microsoft came up with something that's actually decent and reliable, I'd jump and buy it in a heartbeat if it came at a decent price.
    Please hit the Thanks Button if I've helped you out or if you agree with my post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    What's an "OS X virus?"

Thanks

Ewww microsoft. Im not at all interested in whatever piece of crap that microsoft makes for a tablet. After using Apple products for a lil while, Idk see why ppl still use Microsoft OS's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightz View Post
    Ewww microsoft. Im not at all interested in whatever piece of crap that microsoft makes for a tablet. After using Apple products for a lil while, Idk see why ppl still use Microsoft OS's.

They are not bad OSs; if you skip a few generations each upgrade. XP was great, Vista not so much, 7 is great again. But they seem to only be great desktop and notebook OS. As a tablet with less room that becomes a different story.

Same with OSX. Great desktop and notebook OS but on a tablet it would not be so great. That is why Apple created iOS. A slimmed down and refined OS for a tablet.

That is also why I think an Android tabet will be nice also even a WebOS. Because they are made for those products and specs tablets are limited to in mind.
    Last edited by Cer0; 07-12-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks
    Personally I don't need 10+hrs battery life. I just need a real computer that can do everything real computers can do but in a slate package. Why? Portability. Yeah then just carry a small laptop. Ok then, I will. I'll get a HP TM2. Best of both worlds.