Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Touch Screen Devices Are Bad for our Health?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Touch Screen Devices Are Bad for our Health?

Last year, a cockamamie survey came out from a shoestring scientific study which suggested that jailbreakers and iDevice modders had higher than normal stress levels when compared to iPhone owners who don't "tinker" with their handsets. Needless to say, that report quickly faded away without much great concern from jailbreakers - and certainly not a reduction of jailbreaking.

Today, however, our friends at MacWorld dished up coverage from a report indicating that it's not jailbreaking that elevates our stress levels. It's the multitouch interfaces that allegedly do the damage. According to a recent study's findings, "finger flicking" on the iPhone or iPad is putting "undue stress" on our bodies.

Kanav Kahol and his crack team of supposed top-notch researchers at Arizona State University are studying whether "long-term use of multitouch devices could lead to musculoskeletal disorders." Now, before you write this off as a harebrained extra-credit project not worth taking seriously, the study is actually quite serious and made possible by a $1.2 million National Science Foundation grant. The study takes into consideration the work and research of computer interaction researchers, kinesiologists and ergonomics experts.

“Multitouch systems might be great for usability of a device, but we just don’t know what it does to our musculoskeletal system,” revealed Kahol. While the research into this matter goes on, the initial results suggest that multitouch systems can have long-term negative consequences on our physical well being. “We would then take this data back to the Microsofts, the Apples and other manufacturers so they could use it when they are designing new devices,” Kahol added.

So is this news going to make us drop our iDevices and effectively send Apple on a path to bankruptcy? Fat chance. But the research, according to Kahol, may ultimately prove helpful to companies that produce said devices, especially as it relates to the technologies and design models that could reduce some of the negative consequences of multitouch interfaces.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

scooby4 (06-21-2010)

$1.2 million dollars?! Is it just me or do we still not have a cure for cancer and AIDS?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yomamashump For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (06-21-2010), nbsmatambo (06-21-2010), skatertrash (06-21-2010), soto806 (06-21-2010), toyvan (06-21-2010)

This tough economy and stressful jobs is what's harming us. Not touchscreen interfaces. Heck touchscreens have been used in the retail industry for years!!! Why is this such an astonishment now???

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I got an iPhone 2G, 3G, an iPad and now adding more stress with my new iPhone 4G. OMG Im going to die. Come on!!!!
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

7. The Following User Says Thank You to javiert30 For This Useful Post:

Matt929rr (06-22-2010)

Oh cumon...im prolly the most stress free person on earth...wonder if non jailbroken idevice owners are more "stressed" than jailbroken owners..xd

Quote Originally Posted by yomamashump View Post
    $1.2 million dollars?! Is it just me or do we still not have a cure for cancer and AIDS?
    I agree, this sort of this is so stupid, they always find other stupid things to research instead of focusing on the more important things in life

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BMXer Dan For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (06-21-2010)

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

just what i was thinking :P
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Some educational institutions are really F**NG bored. 1.2 Mil on stupid research and not support those students with loan needs is really sad. Oh my finger hurts from touching my screen can i particiapte in their study?

they should get themselves blackberrys than talk about stress

Last edited by delusion950; 06-21-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

just what i was thinking :P
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

I call Bullsh*T!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I WAS stressed out with the stupid stylus devices and the tiny a** keyboard that we had to type on...

thank god for multitouch capacitive displays!
    If someone helped you, hit their THANKS button.

Thanks

MY FINGERS ARE BLEEDING!! HELP ME!!

Seriously? WTF?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Yes multitouch had me so stressed out and then AT&T sent my tracking number for my iPhone 4 and the stress just washed away with a zen calm like no other. LOL

To state the obvious... you do know they're talking about physical stress, not mental right? Holding devices at angles for long periods to accommodate flicking, carpal tunnel and all that...

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I need to rehab...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I do seem to have a case of iPhone elbow. It's totally F'ed up. I can only use my right hand for so long then it goes numb. My wife gives me **** all the time.

Arizona.

Enough said.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Study was surely done by some out-of-shape moron, who sits behind a computer 24/7 in his parents basement, 100 pounds overweight, cholesterol levels through the roof, with a face full of acne... complaining about the stress levels of something that he doesn't have the coin to purchase, much less any idea of what to do with it, other than use it as a new gameboy.

Quote Originally Posted by mastaq1 View Post
    My wife gives me **** all the time.
    why you taking **** from her

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lolcats1 For This Useful Post:

dale1v (06-22-2010)

Stupid people with too much time and money to spend. Shouldn't this money be put to good use like diabetes or cancer research? Or at least donated to a charity, what are these idiots thinking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast