+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prominent Hacker Gets Arrested, Raided by Feds

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
On Monday, MMi chronicled how Escher Auernheimer , the Goatse Security boss, took aim at AT&T with an angry public letter addressing the carrier's suggestion that his company is teeming
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Prominent Hacker Gets Arrested, Raided by Feds

On Monday, MMi chronicled how Escher Auernheimer, the Goatse Security boss, took aim at AT&T with an angry public letter addressing the carrier's suggestion that his company is teeming with "malicious" hackers. As it turns out, only hours later, Auernheimer would have an even bigger problem on his hands than the accusations from AT&T.

You see, on his hands were handcuffs. Auernheimer - AKA "Weev" - quickly made the transition from "good guy" who uncovered the AT&T-iPad security flaw, to the "bad guy" who had his home raided by authorities. Now, in case you're wondering, this has nothing to do with a lost or stolen iPhone 4. Although it isn't yet clear what exactly prompted the FBI search warrant, we do know what was uncovered: drugs. And, apparently, lots of them - cocaine, ecstasy, LSD, etc.

Auernheimer is now facing some four felony charges of possession of a controlled substance. Tossed into the mix is one misdemeanor possession charge. Today, the blogosphere is buzzing with conspiracy theories about whether or not the raid and search was somehow inspired by AT&T or Apple - although there is no evidence to suggest such at this time. But the alleged security breach acknowledged by AT&T was such that it isn't unreasonable that the feds could be looking into those who initially exposed the weakness.

Of course, the matter could ultimately prove to be totally unrelated to AT&T and Apple. After all, this isn't Auernheimer's first arrest. He was arrested as recently as this March for allegedly giving authorities a fake name when they responded to a parking complaint.

As reported by CNET, no bond or court date had been set. A hearing, however, is scheduled for this Friday, June 18th.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (06-16-2010), kingbijan (06-16-2010), LEVMAN (06-16-2010), reaves205 (06-16-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

woow. you never know who's doing what behind the scenes. steve jobs is probably addicted to oxycontin

Thanks

Drugs are bad >

Thanks

So that's where the LSD operation moved too...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayvidpriddy For This Useful Post:

CTBC (06-16-2010)

Thanks
    very bad
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 06-16-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: blah
    there is no cure for this sickness

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Its crazy how people are and what they do.... I have no use for anyone that does this kind of thing!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol for all you know the drugs were planted by att or steve jobs in order to get this guy busted.

"money rules the world" and I'm sure with the money these guys got planting these drugs are no issue.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    im wondering if steve jobs possibly planted these there? lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me DJM AutoWerkz's Avatar
    Thanks

It's a conspiracy I tell u.

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

Lmao, tries to make himself look like a hero. They raid his house and find loads of drugs. Thats classic
    Add me up on xbox live gamertag clikzip.

Thanks

Well the way feds operate if he really a smart guy and really can imrpess some of the feds tech brainiacs, then they will offer him a job or spend 25 in jail, he looks like a smart jewish boy guess what he will choose? I mean getting inmate " big jamal checking for prostate"? Or working for fbi. Tough one. Well lots of luck u tripin maniac

Thanks

He wasn't addicted to drugs, he only did them when his random-number-generator hit 18006927753 (1-800-MY-APPLE)

Green Apple
    Thanks

He possessed non-taxable drugs.

If you drink alcohol or coffee you 'do drugs.'

Shame that people are so narrow minded.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

probably just his stash for PH summer tour.

Thanks

i smell conspiracy here too. he's probably going to be apples new security advisor!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

@thetoothfairy: could you please elaborate as to what you meant? Peopl who do what kinds of things?

Thanks

Dumba**! Any hacker who does something like that, shouldnt keep alot of drugs at their house. How far was he expecting to get?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asma123 View Post
    lol for all you know the drugs were planted by att or steve jobs in order to get this guy busted.

"money rules the world" and I'm sure with the money these guys got planting these drugs are no issue.
    This is the stupidest thing I have recently read here on MMI. Do you REALLY think a tech giant like Apple or a CEO like Steve Jobs would be stupid enough to think something like that is a good idea? I take a swing at Apple and Steve every chance I get, but your suggestions are simply ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    @thetoothfairy: could you please elaborate as to what you meant? Peopl who do what kinds of things?
    I assume she means druggies, those who maliciously hack sites, etc, etc.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 06-16-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Okay so what does this have to do with Apple?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This was totally done with Apple and AT&T's help. Apple provided the new phone and AT&T gave a years unlimited service to this guys mom. How else would they have found him living in her basement. He doesn't look like he gets out much.