+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Prominent Hacker Gets Arrested, Raided by Feds

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Pretty funny response to my post, dhamien. My (only) point was that lawbreakers/rule breakers are all of us, and it's hypocritical to point fingers at others (in this case users
...
  1. #41
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Pretty funny response to my post, dhamien. My (only) point was that lawbreakers/rule breakers are all of us, and it's hypocritical to point fingers at others (in this case users of illegal drugs) when you are also breaking rules (albeit rules YOU choose to break).

    Had you actually spent a moment thinking about what I wrote instead of knee-jerking a response, you'd have noticed that nowhere in my post did I say we should follow rules. I actually said the opposite, because it seems to be human nature to do so. To assume that I "blindly follow any rules thrown at [me]" is both ridiculous and untrue. To say that I "rely on state-given rules to govern [my] life" is so far from reality as to be laughable (I am a federal felon for not doing so). To say I should "try thinking for myself for a change" is just blather from a young pup to an old guy. Grow up.

    As to the quality of broken rule, I didn't even address that. Because, again, everyone breaks the rules they think they are allowed to break. Do I think parking illegally is worse than cheating on a spouse? Well, what if I parked illegally in front of an emergency room entrance, blocking it, and someone died because of my act. Is that worse than cheating on my spouse? It's not about WHAT you do, it's about EVERYONE doing what they WANT to do. He chose drugs. OK. So what? You do whatever you do (or are you so lily-white that you've never broken any rules or laws?). I bet when your mommy told you not to touch the hot stove, you didn't!

    Again, my only point was that to denigrate/mock/act holier than thou to some poor hacker who is busted and found to have drugs is hypocritical. Anything else YOU read into my post is from your fervid mess of a mind. You idiot. (See, I can lower myself to your level.)

  2. #42
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    You're dense, huh? The first two lines of your post was exactly what I was talking about in my previous post.

    Saying that it's hypocritical means you put equal weight on any rule broken and doing so is stupid at best. If I pee in public I can get a fine, but that doesn't mean I'm in the same category as someone who has killed another person. Yes, we've both broken some kind of rule, but saying that I'm as morally corrupt as he is ... well, I don't even know what to say.

    By the way, congratulations on being a felon. I have no idea why you put that in your post, but I guess it's something you want people to know about you.

  3. #43
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Again (AGAIN) you miss the point. People in glass house shouldn't through rocks. Everyone's guilty of something, so don't judge others. You seem to keep missing that part of what I am saying. That would make you the dense one.

    No, I do not put equal weight on every action. That's not the point, or even what I am saying. Dense, again. That's two. YOU are doing that. I am saying, don't judge others. The guy had illegal drugs, how is that anyone's business? How does that make anyone superior to him?

    I never said you were as "morally corrupt" as him. Just corrupt, as are we all. How is that a problem for you?

    As for my felony, YOU were the one who started the whole "think for yourself" line of thought. Well, I did. It's probably too much for you to understand that you can refuse to do things society/the government tells you to do for moral reasons and take the fall for it. In my case, for religious reasons, I refused to fight in a foreign civil war in the 1960s and I am a federal felon for my actions. No biggie. I did what I had to do, they did the same. It's easy to sit at your computer and talk about morality in others' behavior, and a whole different thing to stand up for your own morals and deal with the consequences. Try it.

  4. #44
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    I'm not missing the point, I just severely disagree with you. My point is that I'm right in feeling morally superior to someone who has broken some ethical law.

    That's all on a more philosophical level though, as I'm not even against the guy described in the original post and don't think he did anything wrong. Though I don't agree with you when you say that it's never ok to point fingers at anyone.

    All things aside, I do applaud you for your choice in the 60s (I'm personally against religion, but if it made you make this choice then in this situation I'm for). War is rarely right.

  5. #45
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Now we're getting somewhere, clarity is approaching!

    My issue with "ethical law" is that it varies from culture to culture. What one culture might term "right" is totally "wrong" in another. Ethnocentricity is tough to deal with. And it can exist even within a culture, not just across cultures.

    I'm glad you don't think the hacker did anything wrong. Neither do I. His only crime was to be dumb enough to get a media profile and have drugs in his house.

    I don't like pointing fingers because it goes to the root of the "I'm better than you" feeling we all have. I try to avoid letting that part of me out, even though I admit I feel it.

    Now I do think we should point fingers at dumb politicians, just because they have a public trust they abrogate and thus deserve our derision.

    And, thank you for the last paragraph. However, I, too, am against Religion. I have, however, no issue with religion (sort of a God vs. god thing). Religion/spiritual belief/moral code/ethics all kind of fall into the same gray area. My stand was based on a spiritual or ethical belief that was presented as religious, because the government really doesn't understand those other words. If I'd used them, it would have confused them. "Ethical" and "Government" seem to be antithetical.

    I'm glad we talked this out; even though we may still be apart in some area(s), mutual understanding of others' viewpoints is important and helpful.

    Have a good day.

  6. #46
    Green Apple lili4311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I meant don't do s*** that's 100% illegal when you're in the spotlight. That's what don't taunt the law means dumba**
    Last edited by lili4311; 06-18-2010 at 02:05 PM.

  7. #47
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    @ Sadsamurai: You hit most of it on the head for me. I've done all those drugs, minus extacy because it's always fake and I was a straight A student, I'm a hacker, and I'm far more intelligent than most of you haters saying drugs are bad. lol
    And why do you even care what others do? I, as well as many others here, smoke pot all day, all the time. Don't smoke cigs. I'm literally as healthy as an ox. What do you have to say to me? Apple wouldn't dare plant drugs, it would come out and totally ruin them. FBI maybe, but not probable. All intelligent people in all of history have always experimented with augmenting mental perspectives, hallucinating for mental experiences and trips. George Washington kept marijuana in his personal garden. If you have never tried a substance, how are you to give any opinion about it. An honest opinion? You have been raised and lied to simply to keep you the way you are sweetheart. Close-minded and ignorant. Oblivious. You yourself are a law abiding citzen? ********. you burn CD's, hack Apple products illegally using a program to circumvent software. You lady, are a real criminal. How you like that? We're all considered criminals. Download music much? All drugs were very much legal at one point.

  8. #48
    iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    190
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    @ Sadsamurai: You hit most of it on the head for me. I've done all those drugs, minus extacy because it's always fake and I was a straight A student, I'm a hacker, and I'm far more intelligent than most of you haters saying drugs are bad. lol
    And why do you even care what others do? I, as well as many others here, smoke pot all day, all the time. Don't smoke cigs. I'm literally as healthy as an ox. What do you have to say to me? Apple wouldn't dare plant drugs, it would come out and totally ruin them. FBI maybe, but not probable. All intelligent people in all of history have always experimented with augmenting mental perspectives, hallucinating for mental experiences and trips. George Washington kept marijuana in his personal garden. If you have never tried a substance, how are you to give any opinion about it. An honest opinion? You have been raised and lied to simply to keep you the way you are sweetheart. Close-minded and ignorant. Oblivious. You yourself are a law abiding citzen? ********. you burn CD's, hack Apple products illegally using a program to circumvent software. You lady, are a real criminal. How you like that? We're all considered criminals. Download music much? All drugs were very much legal at one point.
    Besides, we all know Steve Jobs has had his own involvement with drugs..

    P.S. That guy ^^^ is someone very smart, listen to what he's saying
    iPhone Firmware - 4.1
    Service - AT&T
    Device - iPhone 4 BLACK 16GB

  9. #49
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    lili4311 makes me a sad panda


  10. #50
    Green Apple lili4311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Okay?

  11. #51
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lili4311 View Post
    Okay?
    Let's all just smoke a peace pipe. I hope no one minds I put a little weed in it.

  12. #52
    Green Apple lili4311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Grr
    Last edited by lili4311; 06-19-2010 at 12:01 PM.

  13. #53
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    This is what did not get shown in the previous post:

  14. #54
    Green Apple lili4311's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    THANK YOU! it was hard trying it through my phone

  15. #55
    The Dude Abides mr117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    595
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Little AJAX-like uploadsystem to llink up images.

    You're welcome, lili

  16. #56
    What's Jailbreak? TiffanyTrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    o.O wow.. can I call it or what?
    All that Evil needs to succeed is for Good to do nothing

  17. #57
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    508
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 119 Times in 96 Posts

    wow i like like LSD i bought mine from him jk but i do like it

  18. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam83 View Post
    He possessed non-taxable drugs.

    If you drink alcohol or coffee you 'do drugs.'

    Shame that people are so narrow minded.
    Thank you!

    I like how they come for one thing, then find illegal drugs, for personal use, in his private residence, and he gets in trouble for that. So nice to know that the system works like this. So what if he does drugs. So do 90% of your favorite bands.

    Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Now we're getting somewhere, clarity is approaching!

    My issue with "ethical law" is that it varies from culture to culture.
    Again thank you for another level head.

    Right and wrong don't exist, there are only cultural morals.
    Wrong is only defined by that which is against written law, in the physical location you are in, at this point in time -- and it's ever changing.
    Last edited by willpower101; 06-23-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  19. #59
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by willpower101 View Post
    Right and wrong don't exist, there are only cultural morals.
    Wrong is only defined by that which is against written law, in the physical location you are in, at this point in time -- and it's ever changing.
    Yes and no to this last part. There are a few ethical laws that most would agree on. Not physically harming another human being for instance. Yes, they're all broken daily but if thought about as an ideal, I think most would agree on it.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  20. #60
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    damn

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts