Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hints About iPad Retina Display

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hints About iPad Retina Display

Apple may be planning a version of its heavily-hyped Retina display for the iPad, according to some speculative analysis at 9to5Mac. Based on a close reading of Apple's human interface guidelines, the potential for a higher-resolution iPad display is at least being considered. Whether this is a long-term projection or something we'll see sometime soon, of course, is anybody's guess.

One thing that's always kind of stuck out in my mind about the Retina display is that it's the only part of the iPhone 4 with its own name. There's not a Super speaker, for instance, or a Hyper home button. So why should this screen merit its own Capitalized name; in other words, why isn't it just the iPhone 4 display? It would make more sense if it were something that was going to be on multiple products.

9to5Mac noticed that the human interface guidelines discuss using naming conventions for icon images to allow the iOS bundle loaders select the right image for a given display. In specific one example refers to "normal" and "high resolution" versions of iPad icons. The inference here is that we'll have two tiers of devices up and down the product lines: iPhones, iPads, and maybe iPods as well one day.

This may be Apple's way of anticipating future complexity in the iOS platform and trying to make things simpler for devs in years to come. IOn the other hand, we had rumors both before and after the iPad launch about a super-Pad with an OLED display, so it may be coming sooner rather than later.

yeah, wouldn't surprise me if it's in the works. Although it might complicate the already sparse ipad-specific apps out there if they double up the res already.
    Really?

Default No Way
    I call BS on this! This would make the i pad screen 4x increase in res. Which would be 4096 by 3072, which there isn't even a monitor res greater than 2560 by 1600! Even doubled it would be 2048 by 1536. So I highly doubt this, but it would be awesome!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Apple only updates their iPhone and iPod lines once a year and only makes minor processor bumps in their Mac line mid year. It would seem to me that the next release of the iPad would be April.

April - iPads
    June - iPhones
    Sept - iPods

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ill_graphics View Post
    I call BS on this! This would make the i pad screen 4x increase in res. Which would be 4096 by 3072, which there isn't even a monitor res greater than 2560 by 1600! Even doubled it would be 2048 by 1536. So I highly doubt this, but it would be awesome!
    It's 4x the amount of pixels. Not 4x ppi. If Apple did to the iPad display what they just did to the iPhone, the resolution would be 2048x1536, not 4096x3072.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

iPad 2nd Gen hopefully will be awesome and worth the wait!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Apple only updates their iPhone and iPod lines once a year and only makes minor processor bumps in their Mac line mid year. It would seem to me that the next release of the iPad would be April.

April - iPads
    June - iPhones
    Sept - iPods
    Perhaps, although they did do an iPhone memory upgrade to the first hen iPhone midway through. I agree that it is unlikely, but mostly because we would see a bunch of PO'd customers and I doubt Apple would want to deal with a second round of that. If they stick to once a year nobody will feel like Apple should replace their product or kick them back some money.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (06-15-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

I need more pixels

They only released this in the UK a couple of weeks ago! Theres no way they'll be changing it anytime soon. Maybe next year - but as above - a 4x resolution would be impossible based on the amount of pixels required!

Quote Originally Posted by p3eps View Post
    They only released this in the UK a couple of weeks ago! Theres no way they'll be changing it anytime soon. Maybe next year - but as above - a 4x resolution would be impossible based on the amount of pixels required!
    Not impossible... just not likely.... like REALLLYY not likely

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMOSlabs View Post
    I need more pixels
    lmao..funny...brings back memories of "I need more cowbell."

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I thought this too, but I think they are going to increase the res. on the third iPad. The second one is going to get more memory, a gyroscope, an iCam, more RAM...you know things that could've been in the first gen.

Ya know it's funny how one company can entirely change, transform and redefine the very definition of mobile computing. This would be a nice, somewhat unecessary and albeit expensive upgrade. While the pricing model may not change I'd rather see apple put that money elsewhere; more ram, bigger hdd, faster processor, front facing camera, etc.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    sorry. but who didnt see this coming?

Yeah they better wait about a year before a major update like that otherwise ppl that just bought one (like me) will be pretty upset!

2048x1536? I haven't seen any big displays go that high. Also, am I the only one who thinks that this is useless? To actually enjoy the resolution, you have to use a magnifying glass. Besides, that kind of a display must cost a lot. Also, it's gonna be sad to those who just got an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby563 View Post
    I thought this too, but I think they are going to increase the res. on the third iPad. The second one is going to get more memory, a gyroscope, an iCam, more RAM...you know things that could've been in the first gen.
    Are these not things that SHOULD'VE been included in the first one though? Like the iPhone 2G SHOULD'VE had MMS, video recording, 3G etc - but they made another 2 models before it has everything normal phones have had for years!!

I hope the 4G I bought yesterday actually has everything now that its in its 4th carnation!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p3eps View Post
    Are these not things that SHOULD'VE been included in the first one though? Like the iPhone 2G SHOULD'VE had MMS, video recording, 3G etc - but they made another 2 models before it has everything normal phones have had for years!!

I hope the 4G I bought yesterday actually has everything now that its in its 4th carnation!
    That's exactly what I meant. That's how Apple rolls.

I mean most of the new iPhone 4 (I'm waiting on white) could've easily been included in the first one. A lot of these features existed back in 05/06.

That would be so annoying i just got my iPad only like 2 weeks ago or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby563 View Post
    I mean most of the new iPhone 4 (I'm waiting on white) could've easily been included in the first one. A lot of these features existed back in 05/06.
    Exiested, yes. But not refined enough for mobile use. Battery and power efficiency have come a long way since the 2G design started. Now I do totally agree that some of the software issues, MMS etc. were pretty stupid.

As far as the iPad goes, I would be shocked to see an update before 9-10 months after initial release. Apple would get too much negative press with a move like that.

I would also be shocked if they cram the theoretical 2048x1536 resolution in the next model as well. Probably something along the lines of 1400x1050 or 1600x1200, if they stay with 4:3.
    Last edited by gannon145; 06-16-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast