Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs Praises App... App Gets Pulled... App Comes Back

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Steve Jobs Praises App... App Gets Pulled... App Comes Back

It almost sounds like a joke. But this week, an app fiasco has found its way into the headlines to the amusement of Apple critics confounded by the occasional App Store application debacle.

On Monday, Steve Jobs utilized his WWDC keynote address to cover a considerable amount of territory. He even found time time to direct a few playful barbs at the App Store himself. During the presentation, however, Jobs alluded to one particular RSS reader to reference an example of a truly outstanding iPad application. But less than 24 hours after the WWDC kick-off and off-the-cuff app plug, the App Store yanked the Steve Jobs-endorsed application.

The app in question is an RSS reader from Alphonso Labs called "Pulse." The $3.99 RSS reader app pools news stories from a variety of sources and presents one nifty little "mosaic." But after the Steve Jobs plug, Apple quickly heard from the Times Company. And it wasn't a social call. In fact, the news organization was angry that "Pulse" pulls content from its major publications - like The New York Times.

Apple immediately pulled the application as Robert Christie, a spokesman for the Times Company, went public saying "The Pulse News Reader app, makes commercial use of the NYTimes.com and Boston.com RSS feeds, in violation of their Terms of Use. Thus, the use of our content is unlicensed.

On Monday, Steve Jobs gave a rousing thumbs up to "Pulse," the most- downloaded RSS reader for the iPad. On Tuesday, the app was pulled. Now it's Wednesday... and guess what? The app is back - granted, without any content derived from the NY Times. So what happened? Well, there are conflicting theories but no confirmation - either from Apple or the Times Company. But many believe Steve Jobs made a personal plea to the publication to let the App Store keep the app until other "arrangements" could be made.

Image via New York Times

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (06-09-2010), Freerunnering (06-09-2010), reaves205 (06-09-2010)

Apple monopolize phase ii

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Imsorussian For This Useful Post:

rickuk (06-10-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imsorussian View Post
    WTF does that have anything to do with this article?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Dude, leave him alone. His avatar is a skull!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monadzback For This Useful Post:

Gustavo Saliola (06-09-2010), MarkF_AC700 (06-09-2010)

He's so Russian he doesn't understand the article.

in soviet russia article reads you
    Rampage
    Back To The Basics

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rampagebegins For This Useful Post:

b3nny (06-09-2010), k.nitsua (06-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rampagebegins View Post
    im so confused at this point!

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

The App does what it's supposed to do.

It doesn't use private APIs.

it doesn't crash.

... It passes Apple three draconian rules for approval and it was still pulled... hmmm... Maybe it was best if Jobs didn't talk about the simplicties of App Store approvals afterall >_>
    #eli7e revived me

**** Steve Jobs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    The App does what it's supposed to do.

It doesn't use private APIs.

it doesn't crash.

... It passes Apple three draconian rules for approval and it was still pulled... hmmm... Maybe it was best if Jobs didn't talk about the simplicties of App Store approvals afterall >_>
    Actually he said "There are many reasons why an app would be rejected but these are the TOP 3".

Apple immediately pulled the application as Robert Christie, a spokesman for the Times Company, went public saying "The Pulse News Reader app, makes commercial use of the NYTimes.com and Boston.com RSS feeds, in violation of their Terms of Use. Thus, the use of our content is unlicensed.”
    I'm guessing that would be one of the other "many" reasons.......
    Last edited by Doran; 06-09-2010 at 01:51 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doran For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (06-09-2010)

seems to me it was just for the infraction to the NY times!!! some times you can read too much into these things

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rampagebegins View Post
    haha wow, that is absolutely my favorite quote!!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You really have to applaud their turn around approval though. One day! lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

These replies make no sense

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

In soviet Russia, poop poops you.

Strange

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

This is just BS from the NYTimes... what are they going to do, ban all commercial RSS readers because they infringe upon their terms?

I guess this is just one more example of old media resisting the changes brought by new technologies and new ways of doing things...

Quote Originally Posted by cphase View Post
    This is just BS from the NYTimes... what are they going to do, ban all commercial RSS readers because they infringe upon their terms?

I guess this is just one more example of old media resisting the changes brought by new technologies and new ways of doing things...
    I asume it because they are making money by selling that app and NY times get nothing

I'm confused from the complicated article and comments, or maybe it's because I'm tired

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cphase View Post

I guess this is one way to explain stealing copyright material when it serves you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast