+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Order iPad by Monday for Unlimited 3G

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
MacRumors is confirming reports that AT&T will allow customers who purchase iPad Wi-Fi + 3G tablets by Monday, June 7 will qualify for the existing unlimited data plan even if
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Order iPad by Monday for Unlimited 3G

MacRumors is confirming reports that AT&T will allow customers who purchase iPad Wi-Fi + 3G tablets by Monday, June 7 will qualify for the existing unlimited data plan even if they don't receive their devices before the new capped plans are introduced. The New York Times story discussing deliberations within AT&T on the subject was updated to confirm the information on AT&T's Facebook page. (AT&T has a Facebook page?)

The ongoing shortage of 3G iPads had worried some consumers who were hoping to lock in the unlimited plans, which AT&T says will be "grandfathered" in for an unspecified duration. Shipping delays to US buyers are still long, and shipments outside the US have halted entirely. Apple's Online Store indicates that customers may sign up for unlimited service plans on iPads purchased online by June 6th. AT&T customers have until June 6th at 11:59 pm to order their iPads.

Reports that iPhone users who buy the tethering plan will not be able to tether their iPads were confirmed by an AT&T spokesperson, who said it was a software limitation with iPhone OS 3.2 rather than AT&T's policy.

image via MacRumors

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh god I hate pressure! Now I really have to make up my mind and fast at that if i want to get in on this!

This guy over at Mac Forums stated this and I have to agree with him.......

This addresses less than one-half of the real question. Steve Jobs (and Apple) represented I could get on and off this plan whenever I wanted without penalty. That's why I waited for a 3G iPad rather than jumping on the WiFi only model. Now, if I do not auto-renew every month, I will lose my unlimited plan. That is clearly a deceptive trade practices act, so I think Apple and AT&T better quickly re-think what grandfathering pre 6/7 iPads will really mean!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 06-04-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: more

"Always remember your special and unique!"

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Im more worried about the "grandfathered in for an unspecified duration". So far this billing cycle, Ive used almost 200MB . IM ON DAY 6! Ima be screwed if the unlim data plan gets dropped.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jamriman's Avatar
    Thanks

Why can't ATT tether iPhone to ipad? I can with Mywi app ;^)

Thanks

This kind of stuff stresses me lol and i'm worried as well about the "grandfathered in for an unspecified duration"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Now you don't even need an iPad if you want prepaid, unlimited 3G
    Activating an iPad 3G SIM without an iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Well that sucks

Thanks

This other guys stated this on Mac Forums...

All of this very much points to AT&T losing exclusivity for the iPhone and iPad. And since the iPad 3G has only been offered with an "unlimited" plan for about a month before the change, my bet is the iPad will be the first Apple device to be available on Verizon (and maybe other carriers too).

I predict iPad for Verizon will be announced on Monday.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wait so the grandfathered plans don't get to keep their plans indefinately?

Thanks

Grandfathered in should be indefinitely but who knows with At&t right now?

Another Mac Forum post...

Originally Posted by Steffen1601
    I talked and chatted with Apple sales support and they clearly stated that currently the unlimited plan needs to be activated by June 7. It is not enough to order the iPad. The message on Apple's website "Order by June 6 and you qualify for the unlimited plan" is clearly mis-information, unless AT&T will indeed make some modifications.

This is the sense I've been getting too. Not good. Let us hope AT&T will be making modifications to accomodate those who purchase iPads before the June 7 deadline.

Now I am wondering about ordering the 3G one?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default They are losing exclusivity
    Think about it... Why else would AT&T be making people sign up for their services like this on the say of the WWDC? They are clearly about to lose their exclusivity so dont be baited into switching to AT&T because of this. It makes no sense that the number one data sucking phone other than the Palm Pre would be only allowed to get 2GB per month. I use that all the time and I know I would hate to have to worry about limiting my internet experience because of overages.

Most people think its going to Verizon but I am thinking that Sprint may get it. You never hear anything about Sprint metering people for data usage do you? Also with the new 4G you can now have voice and data at the same time, something that AT&T used to boast about for a long time as an advantage over CDMA. Verizon doesnt have these features as of yet. Also, they can put a CDMA radio for US signal and still have a worldwide SIM like they did for the Blackberry World edition.

Also, they(Sprint) reference the iPhone in a lot of their advertising for them not to be getting it. I have examples below.

Apple: Will Sprint Get The iPhone? - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

and lastly here...

Sprint: First and Only Wireless 4G from a National Carrier

and click on the make your iPhone 4G!

Think about it, why would sprint be advertising for an item they were not planning on getting? That benefits them in no way because people would always have AT&T for voice. They are getting the iPhone. Dont get kicked in the NUTS by AT&T and these outrageous data rates... Just wait til June 7th and see the CDMA iPhone announcement.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vellie For This Useful Post:

deshawn1680 (06-04-2010), fellow_mac_owner (10-03-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

just think how many people will be caught off guard by these changes because they don't read websites.

Thanks

I just called at&t and this lady said that the new rates are only for smart phones and not Apple products...

EDIT: I called at&t back and this guy said that its for the iphone as well... and if you upgrade you will be able to keep your unlimited data plan... what a mess this all is... now I am checking about the iPad 3G and the unlimited data package as well for it if you order it before the 7th...

Quote Originally Posted by vellie View Post
    Think about it... Why else would AT&T be making people sign up for their services like this on the say of the WWDC? They are clearly about to lose their exclusivity so dont be baited into switching to AT&T because of this. It makes no sense that the number one data sucking phone other than the Palm Pre would be only allowed to get 2GB per month. I use that all the time and I know I would hate to have to worry about limiting my internet experience because of overages.

Most people think its going to Verizon but I am thinking that Sprint may get it. You never hear anything about Sprint metering people for data usage do you? Also with the new 4G you can now have voice and data at the same time, something that AT&T used to boast about for a long time as an advantage over CDMA. Verizon doesnt have these features as of yet. Also, they can put a CDMA radio for US signal and still have a worldwide SIM like they did for the Blackberry World edition.

Also, they(Sprint) reference the iPhone in a lot of their advertising for them not to be getting it. I have examples below.

and lastly here...

Think about it, why would sprint be advertising for an item they were not planning on getting? That benefits them in no way because people would always have AT&T for voice. They are getting the iPhone. Dont get kicked in the NUTS by AT&T and these outrageous data rates... Just wait til June 7th and see the CDMA iPhone announcement.

I went to the Sprint store with my son's girlfriend the other day and they said that they thought the iPhone was going to be on Sprints network as well.... and the guy said the same thing and that was because of the 4G.....
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 06-04-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I picked up my iPad 3G yesterday but I have yet to activate my 3G plan, so my question lies here if I want the unlimited plan I need to sign up by tomorrow night? And if I do sign up nobody knows how long I'll be locked into a contract?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well if everyone complained like we did in Canada and now almost every provider here has the iPhone now (Rogers,telus,bell)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vellie View Post

and lastly here...

Man that's the smartest post by far in regards this whole uproaring of sh*t in the making with AT&T. My wife and I were actually long time customers with Sprint before we came to AT&T (and only did it because we wanted iphones)and aside from their sh*tty customer service and lack of an iphone or decent smartphone that didn't freeze (particuarly WM based OSs) they actually have the best plans out of the other carriers (Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.) That would be pretty freak'n sweet if Sprint picked up on this contract with Apple because if they did, I most definitely would switch back (after our contract was up with AT&T of course). I mean think about it....they may have crappy customer service but how often do you call your carrier for something eh?
    Though we all look different on the outside, we all bleed the same on the inside

Thanks

The other part not mention here is that the unlimited service on ipad is only good as long as you keep the data plan active (auto-renew). Turn it of and then back on at a later time.....and you loose the unlimited plan.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MacDevil7334's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZipZapp View Post
    The other part not mention here is that the unlimited service on ipad is only good as long as you keep the data plan active (auto-renew). Turn it of and then back on at a later time.....and you loose the unlimited plan.
    Has anyone determined for sure if this is the case? I've been trying to find out, but haven't been able to get a straight answer. I'd sign up for the unlimited plan right now if I thought it would allow me to come back to it later if needed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacDevil7334 View Post
    Has anyone determined for sure if this is the case? I've been trying to find out, but haven't been able to get a straight answer. I'd sign up for the unlimited plan right now if I thought it would allow me to come back to it later if needed.
    I should be getting my ipad in the mail from apple on tuesday! I really wanted that unlimited plan but not in a contract mode, only If I can stop and start whenever i want, I hope there will be a way we can do this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Grandfathered in should be indefinitely but who knows with At&t right now?

Another Mac Forum post...

Originally Posted by Steffen1601
    I talked and chatted with Apple sales support and they clearly stated that currently the unlimited plan needs to be activated by June 7. It is not enough to order the iPad. The message on Apple's website "Order by June 6 and you qualify for the unlimited plan" is clearly mis-information, unless AT&T will indeed make some modifications.

This is the sense I've been getting too. Not good. Let us hope AT&T will be making modifications to accomodate those who purchase iPads before the June 7 deadline.

Now I am wondering about ordering the 3G one?
    How exactly do you get a plan without the device...lets not believe an apple store clerk to quickly.