+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Computex Tablet Frenzy Turns Heads

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Perhaps the quietest story of the past week is the tablet frenzy that took place at this year's Computex event. In January, as Apple prepared to unveil the iPad, tech
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Computex Tablet Frenzy Turns Heads

Perhaps the quietest story of the past week is the tablet frenzy that took place at this year's Computex event. In January, as Apple prepared to unveil the iPad, tech blogs and publications heralded that a tablet from Apple would soon spark a veritable tablet computer frenzy around the world - both among consumers and manufacturers.

Now that this prediction stands poised to come true, people seem far too occupied with celebrating the iPad's two million units sold already to acknowledge that the tablet business is about to get a whole lot more crowded. Today, PC World served up an in-depth look at better than a dozen new rivals for the iPad that turned up at Computex 2010, which kicked off only five months after Apple introduced the iPad.

In recent days, MMi has covered the development of foreign iPad competitors like the Wind Pad and the Eee Pad, but those two offerings only scratch the surface of the choices that could soon manifest in the international tablet market. "In the weeks leading up to Computex," notes the publication, "it appeared Google might sweep the show with Android-based tablets, but Microsoft swooped in with some key victories and the launch of Windows Embedded Compact 7 software for small devices."

PC vendors are clearly not going to let the iPad own the market. And with attention on Apple likely shifting away from the iPad and back toward the iPhone in light of the next-gen product launch only days away, it's quite possible that by the time Apple reveals a second generation iPad - possibly next year - the tablet marketplace will not even remotely resemble the practically barren landscape that it is today.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (06-04-2010)

adp
    Thanks

Well what do you expect when the iPad was released with such weak specs? No USB port, camera, 256 mb RAM, should I go on?

The true iPhone killer is yet to show up (HTC evo may change that, will wait til 4G is released). But I'm sure we're going to see an iPad murderer a lot sooner. Windows 7 Starter vs iPhone OS mod? Question is self-answered.

The Wind-Pad features a 10 inch 1024 x 600 capacitive touch-screen display, an Intel Atom processor clocked at 1.66GHz, 2GB of RAM, a 32 GB SSD, 3G and Wi-Fi connectivity, USB and HDMI ports, and an 8 hour battery life.
    http://www.krunker.com/2010/06/02/ms...owered-tablet/
    Last edited by adp; 06-04-2010 at 12:03 PM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

Tablets with webcams will beat the ipad!

Thanks

U guys are forgetting, that the iPad is a good gaming platform and that the iPad is made by Apple!!!

Ppl like Apple products for no reason, although many other products are better! Apple is brainwashing the consumers with their ads and products!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crazyalaa For This Useful Post:

flippy (06-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

tablet with windows 7 would be a pice of ****, Ihope google gets one out with android

Thanks

^ so true about brainwashing the consumer.... now I'm standing by to buy the 4G-HD iPhone  dont know why i want it but its a must have....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm brainwashed..help me obi wan kenobi your my only hope.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tangoed1 For This Useful Post:

flippy (06-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm finally able to resist the temptation to upgrade to new iPhone. Instead, I'll be spending that money on a nice Android tablet to play with. The 3GS is more than enough for a phone and it doesn't seem the 4G will have any new that I want (don't care much for video conference, and new form is... meh).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't understand why people keep going on about the specs. The iPad is FAST. That's all that matters, yeah? Pretty much.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mattylee For This Useful Post:

staterunner180 (06-04-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

They are all garbage until they can make them with the power of a desktop,but small and portable.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

^ Wind Pad is even more of a stupid name than iPad.
    iPad isn't bad, the only two bad things about it is the 256MB ram and the price.

A 13" Windows 7 Tablet with a 2.00Ghz C2D and Nvidia 260M GTX by someone like Sony would kill the iPad.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 06-04-2010 at 01:04 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

See now I'm not completely happy with the iPad, but I'll also in the same breath say that it's not a big itouch, the itouch is an iPad mini. That said, the biggest appeal to me is that 80% of what I would do on a laptop I can do on an iPad. I would only reallly,really hope that someone finds away to tweak the USB camera adapter do more. Then I'd be able to do 90%

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

All Tablets are Garbage!!!! I'll save my money and buy the new iPhone if it has everything that I want i.e. A flash w/ 5+ mega pix camera, HD, Jailbreakable (is that a word) and allows TV out so I can play my Sling Box on other TV's. If not I might switch to the Droid Incredible, NO I won't but did it sound believable?

Thanks

The other real big thing people over look is, who's buying this iPad, something tells me it's part people with money to throw around, and non tekkies who don't want to be bothered with options, think about it, what are you going to put in the hands of the or non computer savvy customer (like grandma or grandpa ) a wee pad or and iPad?????? There are a lot more people out there that don't know to turn a computer let alone use a laptop.
    Last edited by Cer0; 06-04-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost - Fixed Duplicate Post

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vruls View Post
    tablet with windows 7 would be a pice of ****, Ihope google gets one out with android
    It's not going to use Android, its going to use Chrome

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teban View Post
    The other real big thing people over look is, who's buying this iPad, something tells me it's part people with money to throw around, and non tekkies who don't want to be bothered with options, think about it, what are you going to put in the hands of the or non computer savvy customer (like grandma or grandpa ) a wee pad or and iPad?????? There are a lot more people out there that don't know to turn a computer let alone use a laptop.

I'm an IT admin and love my iPad. It's jailbroken so I can do almost anything my laptop can do. I can print, transfer files, stream movies, use the iPad as a media center for my TV to stream TV shows, Netflix, ABC app, etc. Best of all, it has a 10+ hour battery life compared to the 2-3 hours you will see out of a Windows 7 tablet. ANY hardware that will run Windows 7 will require a far larger battery to obtain 10 hours of battery life. There is simply no processor in existence that will allow a tablet as thin as the iPad to run a full OS with 10 hours of battery life. That is why it runs what it runs. If you want 8-10 hours of battery life you are going to have a much larger tablet in a much thicker profile. Some people won't mind that, but at that point I would rather have my laptop again.
    Really?

Green Apple
    Thanks

QUOTE:
    "A 13" Windows 7 Tablet with a 2.00Ghz C2D and Nvidia 260M GTX by someone like Sony would kill the iPad."

--

now, i am no ipad fan. I don't own one and I don't want to - but those specs are not plausable for under $799 if not $1000 and they would kill a battery as fast as any regular laptop unless itnwas high capacity which adds to the price.

The ipad is build for high sales to users who don't need or care or even understand the specs quoted here.

Thanks

I agree, but there are somethings things like open files via off the fly thumb drives that's kinda important, FLASH these things aren't supper important till they are, then your F'ed and you go from loven it, to WTF..????????????

Thanks

I agree, but there are somethings things like open files via off the fly thumb drives that's kinda important, FLASH these things aren't supper important till they are, then your F'ed and you go from loven it, to WTF..????????????
    Who uses thumb drives anymore? They are just another thing to carry and are prone to get lost. If I'm working on a pc or Mac and want to save my work I do it. To view it on my iPad or phone I will email it to myself... Then there are cloud based services as well so when saved it also adds it to a network so you can view it from any device that has Internet access. Just as floppy drives are out, so shall thumb drives I think.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to reznor9 For This Useful Post:

law111 (06-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Correction! Keep Your Faith in Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyalaa View Post
    U guys are forgetting, that the iPad is a good gaming platform and that the iPad is made by Apple!!!

Ppl like Apple products for no reason, although many other products are better! Apple is brainwashing the consumers with their ads and products!

Bad post, the first part seems like you like the iPad and support it, then you say Apple is brainwashing their customers and you sound as if you're against it saying people like their products for no reason. Get your feelings strait or word what you say better. Apple creates amazing revolutionary devices, people buy them for that reason.

You may just be confused, with the excitement, and amazement Apple can set in their customers, causing a global reaction to the iPad. It's amazing, and is absolutely a revolutionary product. Admit it.

Also sure there are going to be plenty of competitors but what you really are forgetting is Apple tries their best to perfect things before they release them. Take for instance their multi-tasing releasing in 4.0, many other smart-phones can do it, but Apple has come closest to perfect it to work beautifully.

You must be patient with Apple, for years now Microsoft has been on consumers minds when coming to computers(What I'm saying here I'm not saying is fact, just personal experience I think is common) now Apple is rising and they will do it astonishing the world and as efficient as they possibly can.

Statement
    Response
    Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    Who uses thumb drives anymore? They are just another thing to carry and are prone to get lost. If I'm working on a pc or Mac and want to save my work I do it. To view it on my iPad or phone I will email it to myself... Then there are cloud based services as well so when saved it also adds it to a network so you can view it from any device that has Internet access. Just as floppy drives are out, so shall thumb drives I think.
    I completely and 100% agree with Reznor, flash drives are a thing of the past, as were floppy disks, and as I'm sure we'll see CD's getting old, and retaining to digital copies of music and many ways of transferring them. Like I said in a previous post, and I will probably put in my signature, you have to be patient with Apple, give them time, and in return they'll astonish and blow you away. This just shows how far Apple is looking to the future.

Long Live Apple
    Last edited by law111; 06-04-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone Firmware - 4.1
    Service - AT&T
    Device - iPhone 4 BLACK 16GB