+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Wind Pad Joins the Eee Pad to Take on the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Competition in the global marketplace for tablet computers is growing. And while Apple isn't necessarily looking over its shoulder just yet, the era of the "pad" is clearly taking hold
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default The Wind Pad Joins the Eee Pad to Take on the iPad

Competition in the global marketplace for tablet computers is growing. And while Apple isn't necessarily looking over its shoulder just yet, the era of the "pad" is clearly taking hold as everyone seems to be gearing up for an attempt at capturing some of the iPad's gargantuan market share.

On Monday, MMi covered Netbook PC pioneer Asus' first tablet offering, the Eee Pad, which is gratuitously boasting iPad alternative attributes like Adobe Flash compatibility, a USB port, and even a camera. But the Eee Pad is now joined by another tablet similarly introduced at the Computex trade show in Taipei, Taiwan this week. And, together, these two fresh offerings have some industry analysts speculating that Asia may soon give rise to the next big thing in tablet computers - at least in overseas markets.

When it comes to challenging the iPad, MSI professes to be ready for battle with its "Wind Pad," a tablet that will be available with Windows 7 or Google's Android operating system. Either versions sport a 10-inch touchscreen, a 1.66-GHz Intel Atom processor, 2 GB of system memory, and a 32-GB SSD. The MSI product will reportedly run less than $500 and be available this year. Makers of the Eee Pad, on the other hand, have not yet announced a potential release time frame for its new device. But both new "pads" are expected to be priced well below Apple's iPad.

Although no one knows for sure if MSI and Asus will strike gold with their tablet PCs, in a world where two million iPads are sold within the first 60 days of launch, there is clearly major market demand for these products. And, as a result, the environment should prove friendly to any substantive tablet offering.

Of course, it's yet to be seen just how "substantive" the Wind Pad and Eee Pad will ultimately be.

Image via Geeky Gadgets
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 06-03-2010 at 09:52 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (06-03-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Y pay that much for windows based tablet when i can have ipad for the same money those people dont think. things i can do ipad and things i cant do with windows tablet if u know what i nmean.

they gotta stop SSD cards those are old school.
    Last edited by delusion950; 06-03-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    Y pay that much for windows based tablet when i can have ipad for the same money those people dont think. things i can do ipad and things i cant do with windows tablet if u know what i nmean.

Here's why (I assume):

iPad = 1Ghz A4 Processor
    This = 1.6Ghz Intel Atom Processor

iPad = 256Mb RAM
    This = 2GB RAM

iPad price (32Gb) = $599
    This (same storage) = $499

This: Native Multitasking
    iPad: No

This: 2 USB ports
    iPad: no

This: HDMI Output (720p)

This: Camera

This: Windows 7 OS
    iPad: Modified iPhone OS
    Last edited by adp; 06-03-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

bimmercub (06-03-2010), eg6motion (06-03-2010), iphnblues (06-03-2010), isham.padron (06-03-2010), iTouchNinjaz (06-03-2010), JimmyTheSaint (06-03-2010), johndoe25 (06-03-2010), matthew1111 (06-03-2010), MetallicaFan1991 (06-04-2010), pastapilato2002 (06-03-2010), Philbert (06-04-2010), powa (06-03-2010), reanimationxp (06-04-2010), sandstorm77 (06-03-2010), soulthoughts (06-03-2010), Success.Is.Sweet (06-03-2010), ubundit (06-03-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

delusion is the perfect screen name for you.
    Really?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-03-2010), MetallicaFan1991 (06-04-2010), Success.Is.Sweet (06-03-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You have it backwards...why pay the same price for an iPad when you can get a better tablet with more functionality, better specs, and an uncrippled OS.

I find it amazing that people are reporting that "people are gearing up" to tackle the iPad. I could understand a year or two from now, but these things don't happen overnight. The development takes a long time so these companies are not trying to mimic Apple. Apple just happened to be able to release a cool product first. This is where the future of computing is and I predict the more flexible the product is, the better it will sell...to Apple's dismay.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-03-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apart from delusion950 I'm glad the first posts are from people that aren't brainwashed by apple. iPad is really an overrated piece of s***.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M4tt Dam0n For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-03-2010), MetallicaFan1991 (06-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lol I was just about to go in on the first post, but u guys already handled it!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to juggz143 For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-03-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    Apart from delusion950 I'm glad the first posts are from people that aren't brainwashed by apple. iPad is really an overrated piece of s***.
    I actually own an iPad as well. It's certainly not a POS as you so intelligently implied, but it's not the savior of tablets that Jobs tries to sell it as.
    Really?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (06-03-2010), Success.Is.Sweet (06-03-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    I actually own an iPad as well. It's certainly not a POS as you so intelligently implied, but it's not the savior of tablets that Jobs tries to sell it as.
    I agree. I had a chance to play with one and it is actually pretty cool.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

IMO this is better than iPad.

Come to think of this, iphone OS only allow specific apps that made for the OS to work. So current existing programs (ie. Games) doesn't work unless they port the game over to ipad. Nothing more enjoyable to be able to play some EXISTING games on the pad, such as the sims series, roller coaster tycoon and etc... Though i doubt they will have a GPU in there, so until they have that, i will hold off my pocket until then.

Master Themer (aka gaBzii) jokerg7's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,069 Posts

Ok so i have an iPad...jailbroken its not the most amazing thing ever, but definately pretty cool...camera connection kit gives me the external hard drive space i crave.

Although i would without a doubt get that msi windpad if it does hold up well. My only issue is windows 7...its gonna be slow with just 2gb?

Besides i reckon if you give the ipad a couple of generations it will be stellar! (i hope)

Thanks

Stellar?nope. GB increase? Yes

Thanks

Looks Great I will take it anything better than that damn ipad, I think Apple has made a big mistake on the iPad that every other company is seeing as an opportunity to dominate this ****** iPad. THat is a camera, more formats, more ports, more memory, and LOWER PRICE!!

it also gives opportunity for the owners of this pad which is CUSTOMIZING THE INSIDES. example-the hard drive, ram... u cant do that with the iPad
    Last edited by indyracer05; 06-03-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to indyracer05 For This Useful Post:

iphnblues (06-03-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't we save some time here and just copy the whole eeePad thread into this thread, since everyone will end up saying the same things over again.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Windows 7 with a 1.66 Ghz single core Atom processor = FAIL. This is barely enough power to run XP on a netbook. The OS itself may not be "crippled" as you all say above compared to the iPad OS but the processing power required to run multitasking or gaming or any significant program WILL be crippled by these specs. Also the touch support for W7 sucks at the moment.

The second this is released is the second everyone will start complaining about it's sucky battery life and lack of performance.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I agree. I had a chance to play with one and it is actually pretty cool.
    Yea I played with one in the Apple Store for about 10min.

Then I was thought to myself...ok what's next?...

The iPad definitely has better looks than this, but this is everything that we had hoped the iPad had, which didn't (remember the January disappointment release date???)

Thanks

I am not sold on looks. I want perks!

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Windows 7 with a 1.66 Ghz single core Atom processor = FAIL. This is barely enough power to run XP on a netbook. The OS itself may not be "crippled" as you all say above compared to the iPad OS but the processing power required to run multitasking or gaming or any significant program WILL be crippled by these specs. Also the touch support for W7 sucks at the moment.

The second this is released is the second everyone will start complaining about it's sucky battery life and lack of performance.
    I'm guessing it's a modified windows 7 OS, not the actual one which you would run in your PC. Similar to the modified Win7 they use for NetBooks. They also modified the UI touch layer

Last edited by adp; 06-03-2010 at 11:21 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indyracer05 View Post
    Looks Great I will take it anything better than that **** ipad, I think Apple has made a big mistake on the iPad that every other company is seeing as an opportunity to dominate this ****** iPad. THat is a camera, more formats, more ports, more memory, and LOWER PRICE!!

it also gives opportunity for the owners of this pad which is CUSTOMIZING THE INSIDES. example-the hard drive, ram... u cant do that with the iPad
    "Apple made a big mistake" - you think? Two million people in the US would disagree, and voted so with at least $500 of their money.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It doesn't look like W7 is modified for netbooks based on this:

Windows 7 for Netbooks - Buy and download from Microsoft Store