+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Wind Pad Joins the Eee Pad to Take on the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by delusion950 they gotta stop SSD cards those are old school. last i checked, SSD means solid state drive, which uses flash memory and is very very new;
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post

they gotta stop SSD cards those are old school.
    last i checked, SSD means solid state drive, which uses flash memory and is very very new; Flash memory has been around for a little while, but no where near as long as the HDD, and they don't come in cards, unless you're tlaking about PCI cards or the such. the other possibility of "card" you could be referring to is Flash Cards, which is actually still rather new for a memory standard. Seriously, what else would be 'newer' than SD cards?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray661 For This Useful Post:

dillonsmith9147 (06-03-2010)

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    It doesn't look like W7 is modified for netbooks based on this:

Windows 7 for Netbooks - Buy and download from Microsoft Store
    A Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ran Windows 7 Netbook Edition just fine. With much less RAM than this tablet (1.6ghz @ 512mb RAM). They were simultaneously able to open 21 windows with no low-RAM warning.

Article:
    Windows 7 for Notebooks and Netbooks : Windows 7 on Netbooks
    Specs:
    Dell Inspiron Mini 9 reviews, specifications and community links.
    Last edited by adp; 06-03-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Win7 home will run great with 2GB ram.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Here's an article saying that W7 is sluggish and needs at least 2GB RAM on a netbook to perform.

Windows 7 on a netbook - My verdict | ZDNet

I'm still curious and after months of asking this question I still have not gotten a specific, definite or remotely convincing argument.

What specifically can (or want) the eeePad or the Wind Pad do with Windows 7 that the iPad can't do with an app from the App Store? You must take hardware limitations into consideration. Please don't give ambiguous retarded answers like "anything I want.. it's a full OS!" as this does not specifically answer the question or compare/contrast the two devices.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 06-03-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adp
    Thanks

Here's an article saying that W7 is sluggish and needs at least 2GB RAM on a netbook to perform.

Windows 7 on a netbook - My verdict | ZDNet
    Yes, that's to have better performance. But 512mb was suitable as well. And this tablet has 2GB of RAM in the first place, so the author of your article would agree that it's enough.

Thanks

I belIeve their referring to window 7 MOBILE? Who would buy the android OS over a real OS if they had a choice. I have the I pad I like it a lot but I do not love it a lot, however I use the s*** out of it and would do more with it, if it did more. That's the thing with El Jobsiritto hey give you just enough to want more and next year the list will grow of must haves and he'll give 17% of that list. Smart!!!!!, but frustrating!

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teban View Post
    I belIeve their referring to window 7 MOBILE? Who would buy the android OS over a real OS if they had a choice. I have the I pad I like it a lot but I do not love it a lot, however I use the s*** out of it and would do more with it, if it did more. That's the thing with El Jobsiritto hey give you just enough to want more and next year the list will grow of must haves and he'll give 17% of that list. Smart!!!!!, but frustrating!
    No, it's not Win7 Mobile.

Thanks

Then why give an option of the android OS ? Who would choose that? Something doesn't add up?

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teban View Post
    Then why give an option of the android OS ? Who would choose that? Something doesn't add up?
    Just because it's Android OS does not mean it has to be the one used on smartphones. Google is developing Android OS for tablets (last I heard)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19403...ming_soon.html

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Windows 7 with a 1.66 Ghz single core Atom processor = FAIL. This is barely enough power to run XP on a netbook. The OS itself may not be "crippled" as you all say above compared to the iPad OS but the processing power required to run multitasking or gaming or any significant program WILL be crippled by these specs. Also the touch support for W7 sucks at the moment.

The second this is released is the second everyone will start complaining about it's sucky battery life and lack of performance.
    man you nail it right on the money these people here dont know what they talking about,just before the ipad came out i got the archos9 with almos the same specs.man that thing is so garbage,slow to boot,touch screen not like the ipad or iphone they need a better proessor than these atom garbage, i should have donated that $500 to charity all you douches crying about apple and the ipad well i have a windows tablet pc for sell if you want it it's yours for $200. let us know how you like using it compare to the ipad lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't even consider another tablet device unless it had 3g connectivity!

Give me a windows7 Tablet device with 3G and usb ports for under $400

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    man you nail it right on the money these people here dont know what they talking about,just before the ipad came out i got the archos9 with almos the same specs.man that thing is so garbage,slow to boot,touch screen not like the ipad or iphone they need a better proessor than these atom garbage, i should have donated that $500 to charity all you douches crying about apple and the ipad well i have a windows tablet pc for sell if you want it it's yours for $200. let us know how you like using it compare to the ipad lol.
    Directly for Microsoft:

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
    *1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    *1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    *16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    1. Check.
    2. Check.
    3. Check.

These are for the Full-PC windows 7. This will run the Windows 7 for Netbooks, which I suppose requires slightly less HD space.

Windows 7 System Requirements

Thanks

I like the specs on this more than the iPad.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There is no such thing as "Windows 7 for Netbooks". After all the Googling I've done it's the same OS and takes up the same amount of HD space after installing. A windows experience level of around 2.5 is all you can expect with these specs which will disable all the flashy Aero UI stuff which is the only thing that makes W7 worth using.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adp
    Thanks

Well, the specs of this will definitely suite Windows 7. Only issue is space (~16GB remain after OS installation), but since it has USB ports an external HD would fix that pretty quick.
    Last edited by adp; 06-03-2010 at 12:33 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Windows 7 with a 1.66 Ghz single core Atom processor = FAIL.
    I have Win7 on my Aspire One. Its pretty wimpy with 2 gigs and the Atom processor. As with XP or Win7 you go into services and shut down some of the services. Tweek the startup, and some of the registry settings and you can get a lean fast running windows. Though you are right with the lame touch screen. There working on that, so they say.

I hope with all these tablets that will be coming out that you can chose/hack what os you can put on them. Linux, Ubuntu, Android, etc.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ill probably just stick with the iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    Y pay that much for windows based tablet when i can have ipad for the same money those people dont think. things i can do ipad and things i cant do with windows tablet if u know what i nmean.

they gotta stop SSD cards those are old school.
    lol u r pretty ignorant, the solid state drives are no where near old school u fool, they r new and very fast hard drives. they can also be expanded up to about 250gb so id just swap the ssd if i wanted more memory, id like to see the iTampon do that.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I find it amusing how it is spun that apple came up with the idea of the portable tablet pc. The fact of the matter is there were small tablets available to us for years... here is a link to one I was considering a year ago!
    viliv X70 Atom
    This ones spec's are better than the itampon and it was available over a year ago!

Thanks
    Windows 7 with a 1.66 Ghz single core Atom processor = FAIL. This is barely enough power to run XP on a netbook. The OS itself may not be "crippled" as you all say above compared to the iPad OS but the processing power required to run multitasking or gaming or any significant program WILL be crippled by these specs. Also the touch support for W7 sucks at the moment.

The second this is released is the second everyone will start complaining about it's sucky battery life and lack of performance.
    I run w7 ultimate on my netbook (which came with xp)and have had no issues. the os runs great and for the basics (email, internet browsing, word processing, and running work programs like Quickbooks 2010, esc, map point 09, etc) it works great. i normally multitask and end up with outlook 07, firefox (with 5-6 open tabs) esc, qb, and a remote access program open and it handles everything just fine. sure its not gonna excel at games or anything like that, but that's not why i bought it. i also can get 8 hours of use between charges (if i turn the back light down almost all the way and disable the wireless adapter) i have an asus eee with the n270 atom 1.67gh with 2 gb ram. runs areo fine too. i used this machine for 4 months before installing 7 and i actually find that it runs 7 better than xp and i have yet to have a single crash or lockup. 7 even installed all the drivers (except the apci)during setup. office 07 runs great, firefox runs great, altho i do use the firefox preloader for faster program start up times.