Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Verizon Testing iPad on its Network

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Report: Verizon Testing iPad on its Network

On the heels of Apple CEO Steve Job's cryptic comments regarding AT&T exclusivity and the carrier's decision to drop unlimited data plans for 3G customers, there is a new report out this morning that suggests Verizon Wireless may have begun testing iPads on its network - a move that could suggest a potential carrier expansion will be announced, possibly as early as next week's WWDC.

The news comes from the Boy Genius Report and heralds that, “according to a highly placed source of ours, Verizon Wireless is currently testing Apple iPad devices on their network.” The guinea pig model, if you will, is a CDMA-compatible device. “It would appear," adds BGR, "like the gates of heaven have opened, as we’re probably going to see not only an iPhone but also iPad on Verizon very soon, huh?”

While some will naturally shoot down these reports as pure speculation, wishful thinking, or baldfaced lies (and perhaps they are), clues have been mounting that a potential major shake-up in the world of iDevice network coverage is looming. In addition to AT&T's new capped data plans, the exclusive carrier of the iPhone and iPad also recently upped its early termination fee. So if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are... AT&T will no longer be the exclusive carrier of the iPhone and possibly even the iPad.

When asked last night at D8 about the iPhone possibly expanding to other carriers, Steve Jobs was anything but talkative and quickly concluded that he simply couldn't publicly say much about that very prospect.

Image via Verizon

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

sobeniceguy2 (06-03-2010)

I would love to tie my iPad into my Verizon network! Only if the prices were a little lower...
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon is slow here. A little better than AT&T's Edge so it wouldn't benefit me to switch. A price war, on the other hand, would be awesome.

how is it that this story/rumor keeps going around? The networks are not compatible. Verizon's network can't meet the voice and data requirement that apple likes the iphone to have. They're changing their network in order to have voice/data together....but that is 2 years minimum before the switch.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to giancarlo For This Useful Post:

bllewisii (06-02-2010), Silenus (06-02-2010), Spamdumpster (06-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

verizon sucks! enough said

Wouldn't I to buy a new model of iPad (one with a CDMA radio) to use it with verizon? I just got my 3G iPad last week and I'd be rather annoyed if I had to turn around and sell it again.

Quote Originally Posted by giancarlo View Post
    They're changing their network in order to have voice/data together....but that is 2 years minimum before the switch.
    This post is accurate AND a rare example of someone correctly using they're and their on the internet. Awesome. /NerdRant

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spamdumpster For This Useful Post:

bllewisii (06-02-2010), GenesisDH (06-02-2010), YourEntreeSolution (06-02-2010)

How are they testing when there is no such thing as a CDMA iPad?? I smell BS..

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

I too have started testing on the Sandstorm77 network. I will be offering unlimited data at $19.99 a month unlimited. Oh and this would be a CDMA network.
    Last edited by sandstorm77; 06-02-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiecheese View Post
    How are they testing when there is no such thing as a CDMA iPad?? I smell BS..

unless theyre using a cdma prototype?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

My thoughts exactly, how the hell are they testing the ipad on a CDMA network. Bunch of BS i agree with chuckiecheese!

Quote Originally Posted by johnr9412 View Post
    verizon sucks! enough said
    You cannot make such a statement. You have to understand Verizon and AT&T services work well in certain states while in others, they don't. Look at AT&T, people say they drop calls all the time, but where I live, no one has that problem. [Referring to the iPhone] In my opinion Verizon's plans cost too much, and only thing I like about them is their internet service.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
    This post is accurate AND a rare example of someone correctly using they're and their on the internet. Awesome. /NerdRant
    That post is NOT accurate. THEY'RE (Verizon) updating THEIR network to allow voice over CDMA EVDO rev. A, both here and THERE. Happy, douche bag? Just because most bloggers have lousy grammar, poor vocabulary (they're, their, there usage is vocabulary, not grammar), and an inability to employ a spell checker prior to posting, doesn't denote they're posts are inaccurate; Rather their posts are just poorly written.

Quote Originally Posted by gotjpeg View Post
    unless theyre using a cdma prototype?
    Are you that slow? Think about it. Clearly they aren't using a CDMA production unit. So yeah, it would be a prototype.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 06-02-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I won't believe it till I see it

If the price is right I'm switching networks

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Really People, Correcting peoples posts? Don't you have anything better to do?

I would think that anyone's jailbroken iPad can be used on any digital cellular network. I mean, the iPad uses a standard Mini-PCI cellular card, just like the ones used in laptops. You could just take a working Mini-PCI card from a laptop, install it in the iPad, change the APN setting, and surf, no? Maybe you would need a device driver, but that would be the only obstacle...

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiecheese View Post
    how are they testing when there is no such thing as a cdma ipad?? I smell bs..

maybe they are making gsm network and edge just for ipad or maybe 3g, when it comes to cdma network and ipad i think its bs too.

Dont dismiss it as BS, if you look at the iPad teardown, the 3G module plugs in to the end of the main board.

It would be easy to have a CDMA version already in testing, all Apple would need to do is swap out the radio on a small number and Voila!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care if it never debuts on Verizon, I guarantee they have CDMA versions of every device they make. They want options. Just like they had prototyped various versions of the iPod Touch with cameras, I'm positive there are CDMA iPhones and iPads in the wild, and likely have been for each iteration of iPhone since the 2G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast