Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mobo Driver Updates Allow iPad Charging

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mobo Driver Updates Allow iPad Charging

Non-Mac users who are unable to use their computers to charge their iPads now have an option: major motherboard manufacturers have released driver updates that increase the power output of their USB ports. Engadget reports that Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI all have updates available. Though the updates may work with motherboards made by other manufacturers, that'd be definitely an at-your-own-risk kind of mod.

Many new iPad owners were surprised when they got their new purchases home and found that they couldn't charge the tablet from the USB ports of their Windows PCs and older Macs. There had been little communication from Apple about the increased power consumption of the iPad, and the slowness of the response suggested that testing of the new device with non-Apple hardware had been minimal or nonexistent. Apple later released a Support document with the helpful Note that read "Some USB 2.0 ports and accessories do not provide enough power to charge iPad."

Newer Intel-based Macs have switchable USB 2.0 ports that automagically reconfigure themselves as high-power ports when a device with high draw is attached. From the standard 500 milliamp (mA) 5V output, Apple USB ports ramp to 1100 mA when needed. Even high-power USB ports on newer Windows PCs and accessory hubs often don't deliver that much current, leading to the disappointing "Not Charging" icon.

The ASUS Ai Charger claims to boost charging speed by "up to 50%," though that's a pretty slippery metric. Gigabyte's ON/OFF Charge, on the other hand, promises "3x" USB power for "40% faster" charging. MSI's i-Charger software comes with a more understated - and precise - specification of 1.2A current delivered.

Engadget's post includes a video of a user installing the ASUS software on a variety of non-ASUS equipped computers. So it can be done, but since driver upgrades can potentially cause all kinds of trouble even if you have a compatible motherboard, it might be better to test this out on a with a cheaper high-power USB device before hooking up your expensive iPad...

image via Rainy Day Magazine

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (06-01-2010), Freerunnering (06-01-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn. I'd say 90% of my (iPhone) charging is from the computer.

I would really like to have a car-charger! I would use it a lot for my iPad!
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyRicky For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (06-01-2010)

just downloaded and installed on my gigabyte 770T-USB3 mobo...anyone want to try it out and tell us what they think? i don't have an iphone anymore

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Damn. I'd say 90% of my (iPhone) charging is from the computer.
    I had an issue with syncing and charging my iphone from my USBs on my laptop. The USB would power itself off due to a BIOS setting and had to wait a month or so for the update.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I got my iPad 3G I never had any problem charging from my old labtop USB or my PC it work with no problem.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HungryHungryNico's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got an e-mail that my iPad had been shipped and I'm just NOW finding out I may not be able to charge it?!

The ipad comes with a wall power adapter, it can always charge from that

I love Apple and everything but this is silly. Look at their requirements; not only are they a few lines long, they state that all you need is a USB 2.0 port! For the mac it doesn't even say you need an intel mac! It should be Apple, not the manufacturers, who should introduce a firmware update NOW to make good on their advertised system requirements.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mgebara For This Useful Post:

spazturtle (06-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone HungryHungryNico's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh! Thank you, liveify.

confirmed working for asus motherboards.. worked like a charm on my alienware pc with asus MB.

ASUS Ai Charger - Quick charge your iPod, iPhone and even iPad!

Non-Mac users? My iPad doesnt charge from my MacBook Pro but my iPhone does.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

ASUS AiCharger works perfect for me a HP M8167C, Win7 Ultimate and it charges my iPad now from my screen USB Port. Nice post thanks for this its very useful.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can also confirm the Asus one works perfect I can now charge from my computer.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!! Finally able to charge my iPad from my computer!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!
    Works great! Thanks!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mgebara View Post
    I love Apple and everything but this is silly. Look at their requirements; not only are they a few lines long, they state that all you need is a USB 2.0 port! For the mac it doesn't even say you need an intel mac! It should be Apple, not the manufacturers, who should introduce a firmware update NOW to make good on their advertised system requirements.
    But it does charge from plain USB 2.0, just not with the screen on and not as fast.