Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Asustek Introduces the Eee Pad

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Asustek Introduces the Eee Pad

It may resemble the iPad from a distance, but upon closer inspection you will learn that this tablet computer isn't an Apple product at all. In fact, it's an "alternative" to Apple's revolutionary iPad - at least that's what Netbook PC pioneer Asustek is claiming today. On Monday, while millions of Americans are enjoying their iPads on the Memorial Day holiday - Asustek wants to give the iPad a memorial service itself by burying Apple's tablet with its new offering dubbed the Eee Pad (available in two versions, 12" and 10" models with a variety of differences between them).

The tablet PC in question will run on Intel Corp or ARM Holdings chips and use Microsoft's Windows OS, reveals Asustek chairman Jonney Shih before the product "kick off" and official reveal at the Computex fair, a huge global PC exhibit. "The Eee Pad can display Adobe flash for the full web experience, has a USB port and a camera," Shih boasted. "We looked at how we could best address the needs of users from all walks of life, and I believe this is the product."

If you're wondering how much this bad boy will cost or when it will be available, your guess is as good as mine. Asustek, unfortunately, gave little confirmation as to when the Eee Pad would reach customers or at least be propped up for pre-orders. Although Asustek has previously hyped products and paraded them around at fairs ultimately without ever releasing them, it appears that the Eee Pad is destined to hit the marketplace and duke it out with the iPad. More evidence to support its eventual releases comes in the form of Asustek's ongoing work with both Intel and Microsoft to develop and launch its own app store for the Eee Pad.

Edward Yen, an analyst at UBS, tells Reuters: "It's all about the platform if Asustek really wants to do well in this field. I'm sure the hardware is fine, but the biggest question now is how it's going to attract enough users to create the critical mass needed for an app store."
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 05-31-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Not bad for the first clone out there. Im sure there be more to come.
    Im still for Apple all the way.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Vaporware... amazing what can be created on PhotoShop.

Photoshop? There's a hands-on video on Engadget.

Thanks

A tablet is just a tablet. It's not an "i" device.
    Plus my experiences with Windows "touch" OS has completely scared me off, just not fluent enough for my liking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migmanson View Post
    Photoshop? There's a hands-on video on Engadget.
    The pic at the top of this thread IS a PhotoShop.
    The video in the link is a demo - looks like a detachable screen from a laptop.
    Funniest line in that video - "Look how fast it is... if it did work!"

Thanks

Camera built in a a high selling point IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by britcan View Post
    Not bad for the first clone out there. Im sure there be more to come.
    Im still for Apple all the way.
    I wouldn't call this a "clone."

Just because the iPad is the biggest tablet out there doesn't mean that any other tablets are now clones, they're just new tablets.
    Last edited by agentfubu; 05-31-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Thanks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E9LPBSqh58]YouTube - MeetMobility on MobileMonday at Computex 2010[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub16pN_2tmk]YouTube - Asus Eee Pad EP121 tablet at Computex 2010[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FjwIEtWSbc]YouTube - Asus Eee Tablet at Computex 2010[/ame]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Excel Wiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Products that go after the iPad are not going to be better if they have to even copy the name. Geeze why don't some over companies try to be creative for once.

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7|4GB|500GB|HiRes
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iPhone 3G 8GB

I love how they call the iPad revolutionary.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to M4tt Dam0n For This Useful Post:

SirTimothy1 (05-31-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet. Hopefully it will be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Excel Wiz View Post
    Products that go after the iPad are not going to be better if they have to even copy the name. Geeze why don't some over companies try to be creative for once.
    Just so you know...ASUS has a family of EEE products. It makes sense to call it the EEEpad.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 05-31-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice! But y eee pad? I 1st thought it was a new apple product. Y shouldn't they give it an original name. Looks like an ipad replica to me. The name makes this product cheaper than wut it already is.

The name is a borderline ripoff; I'm fairly certain that "eeePad" is phonetically identical to iPad in spanish and several other languages.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_TC1000"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_TC1000[/ame] device out years ago so the ipad is a clone!!!
    Last edited by manickbarry; 05-31-2010 at 11:53 AM.

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Not gonna make it. It had almost no hype compared to apples ipad. Definitely not gping to fare as well.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiotron_Modbook"]I've never seen this before!![/ame]

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks

Im digging this as long as its under $400 and im sure when this comes out, someone will dualboot apple software on it

Quote Originally Posted by indyracer05 View Post
    Im digging this as long as its under $400 and im sure when this comes out, someone will dualboot apple software on it
    that would be good

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast