+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Working on Latitude for iPhone 4.0?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Working on Latitude for iPhone 4.0?

TechCrunch is reporting on some interesting comments by a Google exec that suggest that the company may be working on a iPhone OS 4 version of its Latitude app. Apple had blocked Latitude from the App Store, claiming "confusion" between Google's location-sharing service and the native Maps app. Availability of location data across all apps is one of the powerful features of the new OS, but Latitude only exists on the iPhone as a web app. Google said it is “evaluating the best way" to bring Latitude to iPhone OS 4, which indicates that Google at least thinks it has the option of doing it as a full-fledged app.

Google's service, which enables you to share your location with other friends in real time, has been available on the iPhone as an HTML5 web app. However, location updates are only available when it's active, which sharply limits the service's functionality for users that haven't jailbroken and installed Longitude. Google said publically at the time that Apple had asked them to not submit an app to support the service last year, claiming that "Apple requested we release Latitude as a web application in order to avoid confusion with Maps on the iPhone, which uses Google to serve maps tiles. This was generally received with disbelief by observers who noted the proliferation of navigation apps on the iPhone.

However, Google appears ready to make another run at it. “From the start, we’ve made Latitude available across platforms,” Google senior product manager Steve Lee wrote in an email to TechCrunch. “Supporting iPhone with a great Latitude user experience is extremely important to us, and we’re evaluating the best way to deliver that on iPhone OS 4.0 now, so we don’t have anything to announce just yet.”

It's unclear why Google thinks its chances might be any better in 2010, with Apple and Google in more or less open war; in 2009 the companies were still friends... or at least frenemies. With Apple supposedly working on rolling out a whole suite of location services, it might be rough going.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (05-29-2010)

Thanks

I'm guessing it will be in the new android OS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Umm it has been in the Android OS for a while.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I hope this happens. Although the Cydia store Longitude app works just fine in conjunction with Google Latitude web app. I was able to find my brother who was stranded due to car trouble in a snap. Not to mention it works better at finding iPhones than MobileMe in my opinion.
    #eli7e revived me

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish Apple would just get over the "confusion in the AppStore" BS. The only thing that confuses anyone about the AppStore is how so many metric tons of CRAP get through while the good stuff is labeled "confusing" and "already available natively".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Good. It's about time we get Latitude into the general public, and what better way than putting it in the iPhone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

I've had the Longitude app for a while now. I recomend it to all my customers. Best way to track your lost/stolen iTouch/iPhone device. Wish Apple would get over there personal problems.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I wish Apple would just get over the "confusion in the AppStore" BS. The only thing that confuses anyone about the AppStore is how so many metric tons of CRAP get through while the good stuff is labeled "confusing" and "already available natively".
    Apple Employee: Mr. Jobs, we have some apps we'd like your approval on.
    Jobs: OK, throw them at me.
    AE: Google has an app to allow users to find eachother easily using their location services.
    Jobs: They already have a built-in app that uses the same app, this is unneeded, next!
    AE: We also have another fart button app, this one allows a countdown setting to go off ten seconds after you press the button.
    Jobs: Get that in my appstore. Now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ownerofspam For This Useful Post:

SquareWheel (05-29-2010), Windmeel (05-31-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Suprised dat googles doin this

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be surprised if this happens. I do however wish the two companies to have make-up sex, and start rolling out brilliant apps that involve both parties!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

@ownerofspam you just made my day!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Stalker
    Sweet. Another stalker app for creepos. How about you bring Google Navigation, or Google Goggles to the app store... this has been done before.

Thanks

@ownerofspam Dude, that's some funny ****. I rolled off the couch laughing (seriously!) In memory: "Whachu talkin' 'bout, Jobs?"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sometimes I just want to slap Steve Jobs right in the turtle neck.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

cool cant wait

Thanks

could be an interesting add
    killall Terminal[]