Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wired Magazine on iPad - Get it

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default Wired Magazine on iPad - Get it
    Wired has hit the iPad.

For $4.99, you can now buy the Wired Magazine iPad app (link opens iTunes) in the AppStore. As early as November of last year, Wired was showing off an "iTablet concept app". This morning their iPad app officially hit the AppStore, and it's awesome. Check out a video here where Wired shows it off.

Says Chris Anderson, Editor in Chief of Wired, in a letter written to Wired readers this morning,
    The tablet is our opportunity to make the Wired we always dreamed of. It has all the visual impact of paper, enhanced by interactive elements like video and animated infographics. We can offer you a history of Mars landings that lets you explore the red planet yourself. We can take you inside Trent Reznor’s recording studio and let you listen to snippets of his work in progress. And we can show you exactly how Pixar crafted each frame of its new movie, Toy Story 3.
    Until now, the best magazine app on the iPad has been Popular Science, but this is even better. Wired has set the bar here on how print media will be re-envisioned as Apple has changed how it will be consumed. The entire edition is as much app as is magazine, as much website as it is print. From the front cover, tap any story to be brought right to it. Tap anywhere on the screen to bring up the menu (which hovers over top and bottom of the screen). You can choose any article you'd like from the popup menu, scroll through the articles or each page individually, and swipe pages left and right.

Within each story, the elements are interactive. Click and drag over a picture of a popup book, and see a hand turning pages - and watch how the book works. Tap and hold on Iron Man, and slide him back and forth to spin around a 360 degree view of him. Listen to audio clips, and play video.

Here's a quick video I took of Iron Man spinning.

Advertising as well is a whole new level here. Wired mentions "nine advertisers took advantage of premium sponsorships in Wired’s June digital edition, allowing them to incorporate interactivity and enhancements including 360 images, slide shows and videos." When you see the new Infiniti M, if you're interested in it, just tap the video on the top and you'll actually be able to watch a commercial of it right in the app. Advertisers are going to love this.

There's no word anywhere about how new issues will work. The app is a little over 500MB, and opens up the June edition of Wired. It would be nice to be able to have multiple issues (hey - I've got 64GB on here) in my iPad, but I imagine Wired is still working on their subscription model, or at least aren't making it public yet. We'll figure that out when they announce.

Either way - grab this app. Whether you're a Wired fan or not, this is a brilliant example of how print media and the iPad are made for each other.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (05-26-2010)

i'll check it out soon
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 05-26-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the the universe.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this also up for the iphone?
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 05-26-2010 at 09:10 AM.

sorry Poseidon79 it was off-topic.
    anyway, this seems cool. hope they bring out a monthly subscription plan

7. The Following User Says Thank You to extremzocker For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (05-26-2010)

who wants to donate this app as a gift to me
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    who wants to donate this app as a gift to me
    only if i get a custom title for it

Wow, this looks fantastic! I may actually start reading magazines again... I've sorta given up on them except for reading on a plane b/c you can find many of the same articles on the web. This is actually WAY better than the web versions of articles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to editwizard For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (05-26-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i like the concept of video ads lol and moving ads lol nice and video play back
    No signature links or spam... only warning

Ouch. $5.00/500MB for just one issue. Compare that to a $10 Wired subscription for 12 print issues and a baseball cap.

If you are buying (not as a Wired reader) just because of the videos might I suggest just checking out wired.com and save your money and storage space. In my opinion these apps should be free for subscribers. The Economist has a perfect business model. These other magazines just don't get it, yet.

The Economist charges a high initial price but in the long run you get more issues and access to their online subscriber only content. Include an app with free articles for non subscribers and then a subscribers only section within as part of the initial subscription price and you definitely make a good case, showing me that my dollar has value with a subscription.

I also sure hope that each issue isn't going to be 500+ MB in size otherwise they are going to have a very hard sell on their hands when there are far better and cheaper options out there.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

what do u want on that custom title

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone else have issues downloading this app. It been like over an hour and I'm like 25% in

Why would I pay $5 for one issue when I can get 12 for $10?

price is nuts. Idea is cool though. Not paying a premium for a digital version of anything. If the paper version is cheaper, then it = win
    Really?

how was popular science the best? GQ was and now there is a sports illustrated app
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I have been waiting for this since the first demo video they showed. I love Wired magazine and is the second most visited site for me. (MMi being number 1) I was about to renew my paper subscription a couple months ago but decided to let it go for the digital version.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Get It?

$5?

FORGET IT!!!

who wants to hit that donate button and send me the code?

It is only 5$ to get the app for now with the June issue. They are still trying to figure out a subscrition plan. This is the biggest example of people yelling about the price everywhere. Wired has not made an official pricing plan yet.

im broke but i take donations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast