+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Your Cash is Good! Apple Reverses Payment Policy

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
If you have little, bad, or no credit at all, cash - when available - is likely a trusted ally and your lifeblood for any and all purchases you make.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Your Cash is Good! Apple Reverses Payment Policy

If you have little, bad, or no credit at all, cash - when available - is likely a trusted ally and your lifeblood for any and all purchases you make. Even for those with perfect credit, some simply choose to can the credit card and manage their budgets will cash in hand as a way to avoid over-spending. No matter your reason or excuse for using cash, Apple hasn't cared for cash. At least not until now.

When the iPad was released last month, some of us heard rumblings about friends and relatives being turned away at the neighborhood Apple Store because they attempted to purchase an iPad with a wad of cash. Unfortunately, they were all unceremoniously turned away upon learning that Apple doesn't accept cash for iPad purchases. It's a "plastic world" at Apple, with only credit or debit cards accepted for iPad purchases.

But Apple has apparently now reversed this policy. And we have new iPad owner Diane Campbell to thank for the change. Campbell, who was similarly turned away for trying to buy an iPad with cash, was profiled in the media for her less than satisfactory consumer experience. As a result, Apple senior vice president of retail Ron Johnson got wind of the situation. The next thing you know, the press was there to cover the arrival of a free iPad to Campbell's door with a note of apology.

That's great for her... but what about everyone else that couldn't buy their iPads with cash? Will Apple now give them a free iPad too? Or is this just a clever PR stunt to make Apple appear to have a heart? Nonetheless, if you were ever turned away for attempting to purchase an iPad with cash, feel free to return to your nearest Apple Store with cash in hand. The new corporate policy now allows for cash payments of the tablet.

According to legal analysts who weighed in on the matter, Apple was always within its legal means to forbid cash transactions. But whatever is bad for Apple's image is apparently also bad for business. And so your cash is now welcome.

Image via CNN

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

apoc (05-21-2010), reaves205 (05-21-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

This was a stupid policy to begin with, money is money is money!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 05-20-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I'm A Troll
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Thanks

Hmmm... are they really reversing this silly policy because they've had a change of heart or because sales are turning out less than expected?

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm hoping this holds true for the 4g iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Retarded! Cash should always be accepted!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Money is money no matter in what form it is... plastic or paper! They probably are seeing like everyone else in business you take the money when it comes no matter what form it is in because if you don't you loose...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apple probably just reallized someone was bound to sue. It says on the bill that its good for all debts public and private. This means cash has to be accepted for goods. Sorry apple, you don't get to control our damn currency of exchange. I wish someone had sued. I am sick of this "apple future" ****. Give it up. They had one revolutionary product and they are just expanding on it. Good job, now leave all this "magic" **** alone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It was the same with the first generation iphone, when it was sold for 400 bucks withouth a contract. the first time I went and asked to buy 10 iphones and wanted to pay cash, I was declined the sale, but they're so smart (being ironic) that I just bought a gift card for 4280 (or whatever was the price for 10 iphones with tax) and returned the next day with the gift card and bought 10 iphones... LOL why not accept the cash on the first place?? I did this at 3 different apple stores every 3 weeks and I was never declined a sale again because "it was not cash" even tho I was purchasing the gift card and using it the same day on the same store just a couple of hours later

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dq13 For This Useful Post:

willpower101 (05-21-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bclasen1 View Post
    Apple probably just reallized someone was bound to sue. It says on the bill that its good for all debts public and private. This means cash has to be accepted for goods. Sorry apple, you don't get to control our damn currency of exchange. I wish someone had sued. I am sick of this "apple future" ****. Give it up. They had one revolutionary product and they are just expanding on it. Good job, now leave all this "magic" **** alone.
    Actually there is no law stating they have to take cash. I agree it is nuts not to, but there is no law requiring it.

Thanks

the iPad is just another PR thing, but atleast she got an iPad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Y is this such a shock? Lots of businesses don't take bills bigger than $20 now

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    Hmmm... are they really reversing this silly policy because they've had a change of heart or because sales are turning out less than expected?
    Apple Stores and Best Buys are sold out here. The demand has been unreal. I wanted to buy another iPad for my company and I was on a waiting list for 2 weeks. My business partner has been waiting almost 2 weeks now for his iPad to show up at an Apple store. We went to Best Buy last night to see if they had gotten any and the manager told us that they received a couple hundred in various sizes and they were sold out within 4 hours. Demand is very much still there for the iPad

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I was hoping they would get sued silly from this as well. It's against the law as someone else pointed out. They have to accept cash. Apple, love your products, but your company policies will eventually ruin you.
    Really?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only plus side I can see for a Business such as Apple to turn away cash on big purchases like this is the fact that If a mass amount of people turn up and pay with cash, they are a much bigger target for robbery. Especially on a launch day that is publicly popular. If you pay with Debit or Credit, they reduce that chance of having a mass amount of Cash in store.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I brought cash for the iPhone 3GS and stood in line for hours and it wasn't an issue. They just had me get a gift card first.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had this problem when i bought my 3GS at apple, They worker was smart enough to ring the order up, suspend the order this way he had the total. I bought a gift card with cash for the exact amount, Un-suspended the order and used the gift card to pay. I had no idea of the policy, and it's a stupid one who the hell doesn't accept cash? I have a small business and it cost me to accept Plastic payments, I wish everyone paid with cash.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Cash is king!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

they never let me buy my ipad with cash when i went to the store-_-

but i wont be going back to get a ipad now they lost there chance with me -.-;;;

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Im gonna go to an apple store and try to pay with gold. If they reject me I'll complain. Maybe they'll start up a cash for gold bar at the store

Thanks

good, because i dont have a credit card and barely ever use debit
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No